Author Topic: Mid-engine engine options  (Read 11120 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Mid-engine engine options
« on: October 04, 2008, 03:29:56 PM »
This is a long winded question, bare with me!

I have been toying with the idea of bigger displacement.
I know that I can get a busa motor easily to G but was looking for more. TO get a busa motor to G will max out the motor and still be early in the G class.

Currently, I was hoping to be able to de-stroke a motor to G, allow me to run stock displacement in F and then be able to stroke the motor to E. (this I know may not be possible but I would like to be able to run G and F in the next few years.

My problem is that the axles are located mid way over the available engine compartment.
I have not found a good deal of suitable mid engine choices. An engine-transaxle out of a mid engine would be easy but most mid engine are low in the CCs (and to be honest a Ferrari motor is a bit out of my price range!).

I have also considered how F1 cars mate a V8 to a Hewland type gearbox....but it seems that it would push the motor very far forward and into the passenger compartment.

My question is that I am looking for a way to get more CI with the drive under the motor. I have considered the idea of using a FWD motor/ trans combo and converting it to RWD. Has anyone ever hear of doing this, or is it more trouble than it would be worth?

I also remember seeing a GT40/ Pantera type vehicle that had a rear facing V8 that used a "V" drive (?)to transfer power to a rear end. I have searched for this V drive but I can not find anything close to what I remember. I think that I have seen the same type V drive in drag boats but this was years ago. If anyone can point me into the direction of this V drive I would like to consider it as an option to transfer power.

If anyone has any suggestions (even if they are way out of the box) for me to put a larger CI motor in this mid-engine car I would greatly appreciate it (also looking for engine suggestions as well).

My ultimate goal is to eventually have an LS6 motor (or other DOHC V8) in there; this however is in the future. If I could get an F or E would be a good place to start.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
Re: Mid-engine engine options
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
Jonny - Whats the Fiero setup. I've also seen V8's in these things.   Ernie                   
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
I would also look at a frt wheel dr. set ups and just lock it straight...  seen many Tornado set ups in sand cruisers back in the 70's
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »
Fieros were basically the C car or X car? front wheel drive -  converted to rear -  something about the fiero having to be built with off the shelf parts.  My racing buddy is crazy for fieros and knows all about em -  currently he is running a 4.3 Northstar cadillac V- 8 in the fiero -
To tell you the truth I never paid much attention to what he was telling me -  or how he did it -  because he's just crazy!  but if you want to know anything about how fieros did it -  and what works and doesn't work in engine swaps etc -  he's your guy.

Carl Johansson
Let me know if you want to talk with him
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »
What I have is a Fiat......not a Fiero (not really much diff though!).

The northstar Fieros are well known and I am fully considering this setup to put in the Fiat. THe Fiero is however 11" wider, this might be a problem.

Anyone have any ideas about the "V" drive I mentioned?

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
If anyone has any suggestions (even if they are way out of the box) for me to put a larger CI motor in this mid-engine car I would greatly appreciate it (also looking for engine suggestions as well).

Might a Taurus SHO transaxle be a starting point?  5 speed, pulled a 3500 lb car with 225 hp around pretty well.  Jay Leno has a V6 SHO engine and tranny stuffed into the back of a Ford Festiva -

http://www.supercars.net/garages/Dodge%20Spirit%20RT/1v2.html

By the by, I LOVE the new nose job!
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »
Looks like one of the Ree-noo things.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 01:04:12 PM »
http://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=44

I found the V drives.

I am not sure but I think that I can use one of these to mount a front engine RWD engine-trans backwards in the car and have the V-drive send power to the rear end under the motor.

If I can work out the spacing I should be able to mount an almost limitless array of engine-transmission combos this way.

BTW:

Here is something I found when searching for the V-drives.
I guy is building a Vette powered trike (uses the a v-drive almost exactly how I am considering).

Cool build!

http://sareusa.com/

*Andres Segovia

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »

My question is that I am looking for a way to get more CI with the drive under the motor. I have considered the idea of using a FWD motor/ trans combo and converting it to RWD. Has anyone ever hear of doing this, or is it more trouble than it would be worth?

I've seen it online, but not in person, and don't know if it was finished project or not.  Obviously you need to make sure you're suspension setup and handling will turn out ok.  Unfortunately I can't find a link

I can't think of a reason it wouldn't be workable.

Edit:  I thought of one other place that has done this, the stunt cars at Universal Studios have the engines "moved to the rear" for a better COG for the stunt show, but I believe they are actually using motorcycle engines, but am fairly certain they are using a half-shaft type setup.  Might be worth a vacation  :-D    I'm not finding anything useful online, but more info the better right?   :?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 02:31:01 PM by sockjohn »

Offline Chad

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:15 PM »
Check out Bob Norwoods Ferrari with a turbocharged big block in the back.I think it had a v drive in it

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
You know, having now seen the v-drive unit (thanks for posting the link), I'm wondering if you might not be able to modify a transfer case to work?  I'm certainly not a 4WD kind of a guy (despite my Iowa upbringing), and I've never taken one apart, but you DID ASK for ideas outside of the box.

My chief concern with redirecting the power like this would be parasitic loss.

But I completely understand the lack of space issue.  I've enjoyed your build diaries, and I suspect you're going to figure this one out.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
I have seen a car built with the engine set quite low, but OK by Bonneville standards. The trans output shaft went under and to one side of the differential. Which was reversed so that the driveshaft yoke faced rear. A transfer case or V drive/change gear box went from the trans output up and over to the pinion yoke. Makes a very tight package.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 11:14:09 PM »
Hey I have been following your car postings for some time, Great job. I saw something that might work, especially if you change out the center section/ differential housing. Get a look at an older toyota tercel I beleive with AWD. It has an inline engine mounted with the belhousing facing rearword. Then the tranny is like a transfer case as it splits the power to the rear and to the front to the diff. which has the pinion yoke bolted right to it,sitting under the engine.

good luck HAGEN
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »
I have seen a car built with the engine set quite low, but OK by Bonneville standards. The trans output shaft went under and to one side of the differential. Which was reversed so that the driveshaft yoke faced rear. A transfer case or V drive/change gear box went from the trans output up and over to the pinion yoke. Makes a very tight package.

I agree with Rich and would look at making or having made the "change gear box" you mentioned using common quick change gears as that would solve a lot of gearing problems also.  The Walla Walla, WA Studebaker guys.......

.... made their own in-line box (between the trans. and rearend) using quick change gears and something similar could be made to take the place of a V drive.

c ya,

Sum

LittleLiner

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 12:37:27 AM »
Look into the Casale V-drive.   John Burk is using one in his streamliner.  http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/Bonneville.htm

Although I suspect you are rather limited in the space department in the Fiat.

Also consider the Mitsubishi Evolution drive train.  At 2 liters one of them just ran 221 at Maxton in 'street trim'.  Get the half shafts cut down to fit the tread spec of the fiat.  (yeah - easier said than done)