Author Topic: what Trans for over 250 MPH  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
what Trans for over 250 MPH
« on: October 04, 2008, 12:28:21 AM »
I am thinking of using a new Muncie 4 speed with a .86 overdrive (4th gear) in my new B comp coupe. I am thinking of turning the motor around 7500 + RPM.  I have been told by some people that a 4 speed will not last and that they burn up because of poor oiling at those speeds. Please chime in with your help
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline mkilger

Re: what Trans for over 250 MPH
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 12:32:28 AM »
I have a super t10 for sale ,I know of one roadster that went 257 with one. 

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
What are the gear ratios in the trans and has and what if any special work has been done to it. What is your #
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 02:13:45 AM »
I don't know of any Muncie with an OD 4th. Tex, Jerico, etc with spline shafts will let you let you select your own gears. My .96 OD Tex went 217 with 750 HP. Others with higher ODs have gone in the 240's with no oiling problems. You can dry sump them and spray the bearings.

I have a early Tex T-10 with a fixed cluster .94 OD (1.60 first) from an early Busch Series V6 car I'm going to sell after its been gone thru. 28 spline disc shaft and a turbo 400 yoke style. Probably after the new year.

Look to Jerico or Tex..................Good Luck............JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bville701

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:59:40 PM »
I don't really know much about transmissions, but the Kugel's firebird had a Jericho 4 speed with a 2.13 final gear and that car went 300MPH. So, I would think Jericho would be a good way to go.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

McRat

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 03:03:23 PM »
Not much experience with LSR here, but you need to base trans decisions on engine torque.  What works for one 1000hp engine may not work for another.  Depends on the torque.  If you have a 18,000rpm engine a little trans will work.  If you have a 3,000rpm engine it has to be a monster.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 03:24:50 PM »
Well, not really so much on the salt.  Traction is so limited that the tires will break loose (sometimes) before the transmission will lunch itself.  Torque ratings are still important -- but not necessarily as much as if you're drag racing on sticky pavement.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 03:44:28 PM »
Dunno.  Regardless of the final gearing, the trans just knows how much force is being applied to it.  It could get the same load at 25 mph as 300mph, just depends on the gearing. 

This is something the diesels nuts have fought with for awhile.  A Powerglide that survive 2500HP in a car won't survive 1000HP in a diesel at the same car weight.  In my case, I move my RPM up specifically to make the trans survive.  If I tuned for a 3200rpm HP peak, I can trash the trans.  If I move it to 4400rpm it lives, even though I make more HP by tuning up there.

A Formula One trans is a small trans, but they spin the snot out of them.  Look at 100HP bike trans verses a 100HP car trans.  Even then, the bike trans will suffer 200HP better than the car trans will, even though it's smaller.

As far as transmissions go, gearing up with RPM is safer than gearing up at the axle or tire.

And yes, you shouldn't need as much trans as drag racing needs due to the high impact load seen on launching.

Offline jl222

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
 Call Tex Racing Trans they would know what would hold up.
 We used a Doug Nash 2 speed quick change with a gear vendor overdrive trans in the 222 Camaro [288mph +]
and the gears inside always looked brand new, but we did twist the input shaft after several runs and [years] and twisted the replacement in half. Thats when we went with an Owens [similar to Lenco] with a much larger input shaft.
  Motor has probably always put out 1500 ft lbs. and recently over 1900.

Good luck JL222
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:02:05 PM by jl222 »

McRat

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »
 We used a Doug Nash 2 speed quick change with a gear vendor overdrive trans in the 222 Camaro [288mph +]
and the gears inside always looked brand new, but we did twist the input shaft after several runs and [years] and twisted the replacement in half. Thats when we went with an Owens [similar to Lenco] with a much larger input shaft.

Good luck JL222

Do you have contact info for Owens?  Sounds like something that I need to look at.

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:40:42 PM »

Good luck JL222
[/quote

Scot Owens Trans 559 539-2925 also in rule book pg 232

]

Do you have contact info for Owens?  Sounds like something that I need to look at.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
Re: "In my case, I move my RPM up specifically to make the trans survive.  If I tuned for a 3200rpm HP peak, I can trash the trans.  If I move it to 4400rpm it lives, even though I make more HP by tuning up there."

Thanks, that's something I was aware of - but didn't know it applied to LSR.
The problem seems to be that (absent really high flywheel inertia) the input shaft and all whirly bits never "see" continuous flow of power, especially with low inertia parts - they get a series of really big hammer blows to the engagement surfaces (splines, flutes, dogs, blah). At lower speed, and with smaller number of cylinders the compression cycling hits it in the opposite direction.
This is true even with torque converters (although I suspect the pulse amplitude decays to near zero with stall speed) - the crank flange "ratcheting" behavior is still presen at the input shaft despite no mechanical connection.
If you can't reduce the amplitude (shock value) the next best thing is increase the frequency, and frequently moving the max power upscale does both (-10% torque but +20% RPM = more power and better gear life).

It also appears that a higher engagement number helps to some degree. Assuming equal execution, A/T drums with 54 splines take more abuse than 36 spline, dual or triple row small pitch chains last longer than equal nominal tensile load large pitch.

If the vehicle is traction limited, the maximum load the transmission sees won't be as high as if the tires didn't slip, but:
1. the engine still puts out all the transient power used to accel the bits right down to the tire
2. breaking traction > backing off > opening throttle cautiously > breaking traction > lather, rinse, repeat introduces load reversals to all the engagement points - always a bad thing.
3. IMHO the Tor-Sen stuff proves that helical gears don't like being loaded backwards, which is what happens to all diffs (Ford 9" especially bad) when the car is "dragged down" by the tires after breaking traction.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2008, 10:24:22 AM »
Separate thought, separate post.

For really fast cars that will be traction limited: how many have used (or plan to) a Powerglide built for oval track?
Good features:
1. really low weight, short OA length
2. fewer moving parts
3. no converter = minimal heat and power loss, much reduced fluid cooling needs, high line pressure safer to use to keep friction surfaces engaged
4. start by lever or pedal engagement of fluid pressure to a band (?) to "slip" it so it can move away from stopped - harmless if used briefly
5. really bullet-proof parts commercially available - very little fab needed
6. simple shift linkage or none (I think reliable governors are available)

Bad:
1. only 2 gears (not that bad if you have enough power)
2. limited 1st gear ratios available:
1.76 (OEM)
1.82 (OEM)
no overdrive TIKO
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 10:28:39 AM by panic »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »
I chose a Shorty Glide with a GV  for many of the reasons you mention---It is no longer than AT 400

1.37 OD
  .78 OD

Tell GV you are running LSR, and they will change some of the valving and it  can freewheel if you order it that way---not cheap though could have gone Liberty for about the same price.  But Shorty glide one year---gv another..
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 01:08:11 PM »
Is this a converter or direct drive?