Author Topic: entry list-wf  (Read 26211 times)

Offline Dave Haller

Re: entry list-wf
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 11:35:57 AM »
Looks like I jumped the gun on my other post this morning. Will be checking this thread all day for updates. Hope all holds, looking forward to heading southeast Tuesday morning.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 02:50:18 PM »
A little before one pm in SLC -- and it's still drizzling.  We'll leave here in a while -- I'll post reports as we go, giving your mile-by-mile wet roads reports.

Maybe they'll be dry roads by the time we get to the Tree of Utah.  We can hope...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 03:45:25 PM »
Go to the www.scta-bni.org web site and click on refresh for latest update as of 9:00 am today.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 06:52:56 PM »
It's a little before 5PM Saturday and we're out here with Land's End Lynda.  Bring your water wings, and whatever saltwater fishing bait you might have.  There's water, water, water everywhere.

BUT - The meet hasn't been called as far as we know.  Lynda reports that Mike Waters has said no official decision will be made 'til mid-day tomorrow (Sunday).  She says she's heard that there's standing water all the way to the seven mile.  But she also says the water doesn't seem as deep as times in the past when we've raced.

So -- there you have it.  The SCTA site doesn't have any official word (as of two minutes ago) about any cancellation of the race, either. 

The skies are cloudy but with some sunshine poking through here and there.  Mild winds - about 5-10 mph from the west - cool temps, about 55F, I'd guess.

Nancy just handed me the camera.  I'll post this and take a few photos and let you see them once I get 'em all processed and on the site.

Here they are:

Can you see the reflections of the sky and the clouds - in the water?

Here's Lynda and Tip standing between me and the salt(water):

To remind you what Land's End should look like, here's Lynda in drier times:

And here's what we left -- I shot this photo out the dining room window at our house yesterday morning:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:49:36 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 07:08:45 PM »
That doesn't look good :-(

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
Even though it doesn't look good at this point, I am flying out of Detroit tomorrow early AM, arriving SLC around noon.
I remain slightly optimistic, and still won't call my car owner till we know for sure.
Please, everyone and anyone call my cell phone if news is released, otherwise I pick up Tonys car and head to Bendover.
Thanks all
Oh cell number is 313 3198544

Rick
Rick

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »
Here's the 6.30 PM Mountain time Saturday update: 

The folks that do the set up and make the official decision will go out there at first light -- about 8AM -- tomorrow morning and look to see if there's anyplace where we can set up to race.  Hey, they'll let Nancy and me go, too, so we can tell you first-hand what we're finding.  Then a decision will be made and announced.

We were talking with them -- Creel, Waters, Dannenfelzer, Stuck, and Wilson -- around the table at the patio here at the Econo Lodge, and they're just as anxious to have an event as you are.  So are Nancy and I -- even though we don't have a vehicle here to race.  We just flat enjoy this stuff (again, just like you), and we'll do what we can to have  a race event.

No, nobody has said anything like "We'll try to have one course if we can't have two", but I wouldn't be surprised if that's someplace in the back of their minds -- just like it is in yours and mine.  One's better than nothing, right?  But if the salt is just too wet or too fragile to race on -- well, there you have it.

The weather is forecast to be turning good for our needs.  The rain is over, the clouds are being driven away by strong northwesterly winds that are being driven, in turn, by a cold front that's headed this way.  Temps are forecast to be pretty cool -- but sunny and breezy is still okay.

That's what I know right now.  I have already made a couple of calls to racers to give them this same information.  You're welcome to call - but you're going to hear the same story as you're reading, at least 'til there's something new.

On another note, I'll type this now and post, then go back and update it with photos.  If you're planning on camping - don't expect to do it at the Bend in the Road.  If you go in there you'll get stuck.

We drove more than a mile up the road that goes to the TL ranch - and once you get past the old landfill there'd be fine camping.  Dry, not as easy to access as B I T R, but dandy.  I took a few photos of the overall scene, too:

Ah, those aren't great - but they give the overall impression.

More later, once I know something.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:47:12 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 10:07:23 AM »
Turn around, everyone.  Go home.  Turn over in bed,  Cancel the plans.

WORLD FINALS '08 IS CANCELLED DUE TO STANDING WATER ON THE RACE COURSE.

This word just in from Mike Waters and his crew that were on the salt a half-hour ago to check conditions. 

Sorry. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »
Bummer ! - We were looking forward to it. Oh well the car is that much more ready f/ Speed Week. Thanks Slim & SCTA for trying. See you in '09. Ernie & Black Creek Racing
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline hotschue

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
Slim, Hope your flight home is not as long as your flight out!!  Thanks for all your real time posting.  I'm sure "All", here on the east coast, appreciate your reporting.  Thank again, Udo
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »
Maybe we should have had somebody other than a guy by the name of "Waters" look at the salt.  Just kidding.  Looks like my first try at this will be at El Mirage. 

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 10:45:42 AM »
Nancy and I are in SLC this morning - and going out to Wendoveer by mid -- to - late afternoon. 

Let's all do the "rain go away!" dance, just in case.

Jon, maybe you should have left your clothes on....  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Texican

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 11:02:24 AM »
Well, I guess it's never so bad, what it can't get worse...I sure hope folks coming from all over the world have lots of TRIP INSURANCE.
Tends to change things around here for the next week; lots of other projects to attack and slow down the frustration machine.
Many regrets to all and GREAT BIG THANKS ! to Jon and Nancy, Lynda, and all the others I can't name at this time for the efforts expended.
See ya'll next year. :cheers:

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
Alright,

I'm ready to go - and can't cancel my flight and rental car, so I be on the way in some hours.

Jon, first a question to you - will the SCTA - especially lands end Lynda - stay there out to Tuesday morning?
I will arrive Monday late evening at Wendover - if the SCTA merchandise trailer and Lynda will be out there.

Second - I wrote to Sum (Sumner Patterson), Todd and Debbie a PM - please check your message and let me know your answer. Thanks in advance.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »
Pork Pie: as long as you're going to be here, I'd love to take you to lunch or dinner.  If you can PM or send email, let's get in touch and maybe we can make that happen.

RtR