Author Topic: Thinning Tire Bead Sealer  (Read 4334 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Thinning Tire Bead Sealer
« on: October 02, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »
I would like to thin this stuff a little to act more like paint--it contains Methylene Cloride, Trichloroethylene, Xylene, and Ethyl Bensene-- :?
Sparky---dumber than a box of rocks when it come to this chemical STUFF--- :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: Thinning Tire Bead Sealer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:55:48 PM »
Wow Sparky, I'm impressed. I can't even say them words let alone spell them.

Great run at Bonneville and I'm happy for ya.

Tell the truth, is the blue hat a bigger size than the red one?
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
Sparky, quit sniffing that stuff it makes you think you are just dumb.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »
Doug,  I had to copy the names straight off the can---IT sure tells you to use in a well ventilitated area..lol

Thanks about the run---Glen I am a little smarter about LSR stuff than I was a few years ago---especially how easy it is to make mistakes
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 02:15:47 AM »
I would thin it with one of the known products in it. Do it slow.............Good Luck. JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:09:39 PM »
Sparky;

A little MEK, xylene or toluene should do it. Acetone probably evaporates too quickly.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 07:21:51 PM »
Sparky;

A little MEK, xylene or toluene should do it. Acetone probably evaporates too quickly.

I agree.  All of the ingredients you listed form the can are essentially solvents themselves.  MEK or toluene may be available at your local hardware store.  Xylene may be tougher to find, and acetone is easy to find, but does evaporate very quickly.

You could probably use generic "lacquer thinner" also, but it also evaporates pretty quickly.

Be careful with the exposure, MEK and Toluene are both carcinogenic.  Not that a whole bunch of other stuff we do on cars is good for your health, just minimize your exposure such as some throw-away gloves.  That is what the use in well ventilated space warning is about.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
Methylene Cloride, Trichloroethylene, Xylene, and Ethyl Bensene

You could probably use generic "lacquer thinner"

The first suggestion at least mentioned one of the ingredients. How about a little rocket fuel to thin it? Nitroglycerine?

The chances of making something toxic or dangerous is a real possibility. If you can't get what is listed on the can I wouldn't do anything.

Methylene Chloride is in some paint strippers, but there may be other chemicals in it. Xylene is a paint thinner and you can get it from the local paint store. A very small amount should be used. When it is thinned it might lose sealing properties.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:57:54 AM »
I am doing it outside and what worked best on the traction surface---a small clean trowel is what I used---this stuff was like a "rubber  buggers"--well almost. I had no kowledge of what this stuff was other than it has a lot of carbon black in it and "smells funny". I think I will try straight---first---

I sure dont want to try to work with any thing more unstable than I might be!!!!!! :cheers: