Author Topic: Buddfab vs. Nebulous 4:  (Read 28672 times)

Online jl222

Re: Buddfab vs. Nebulous 4:
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 12:21:55 PM »

I thought we should outlaw Tom, but he hasn't had a flat bottom in a lotta years! :evil: :evil:

Huh  :?  LOL. Sorry Dean, that went over my head. LOL.

Tom G.

Tom you just have to think about it a little longer :-)

JL222

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »
I have a fat bottom, and I've never had a problem with blow over... What? oh you said FLAT bottom... well that's different.
Really tho if you look at nature you see that Salmon, Tuna, Marlin...etc have rounded bottoms and are capable of very high speeds and are very stable. One would think that a round bottom would be the answer to stability. Then we look at different types of Rays, Sturgeon, Sharks... mostly these all come with a flat bottom, but also are capable of very high speeds plus I don't think I've ever seen a Flounder "Blow over". This could also be a question of the type of medium the vehicle is traveling through, the surface condition, or the distance between the vehicle underside and the surface. There could be a disruption in the boundary layer airflow on the cars underside that is actually "Bucking" the car into the air, or problems with the airflow over the sides, or "chines" of the body that could be a disruption. It could be any number of factors that only wind tunnel tests could reveal. Most people don't have large amounts of money to spend on wind tunnels so the next best thing would be to Take it out and see what happens... I thought that was what the sport was all about.. " Take it to the track, and see what happens". Inovate and test.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »

Nascar, F1, Indy, everything sails. First you have to have a cause. After that it's a moot point.

The different is that high level racing, especially F1 have hundreds of millions invested in creating downforce to keep their cars glued to the track.  It is common knowledge that F1 aero experts are consulted by aerospace companies in designing fighter aircraft because their expertise is unmatched.  This sport does not have the funds to pay for the development and construction of an F1 mirror let alone understand the dynamics of the flow over the entire surface.

SMITTY 2

As for different fish, I believe that they have "movable aerodynamic aids" that are even outlawed in F1. :-D
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
F1 is a totally different kettle of fish.Those cars generate a huge amount of drag while creating the massive downforce. It's not applicable for lsr.

Pete

Offline dw230

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 11:24:12 AM »
F1 currently allows front wing planes that are adjustable thru 6* by the driver. There is movement for rear wings to be driver adjustable next year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline willieworld

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 12:10:12 PM »
dan would that be 6°     alt + 0176 on right key pad                            willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »
F1 is a totally different kettle of fish.Those cars generate a huge amount of drag while creating the massive downforce. It's not applicable for lsr.

Pete

COrrect, F1 is a different kettle of fish.  to say that since they are flat it is safe is the problem.  all of these cars are designed to create downforce by creating drag, LSR cars are the exact opposite so the camparison does not hold water.

OH wait, I guess I think you wre agreeing with me.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline dw230

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
Thanks Willie, never knew that. My work is done for today.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online jl222

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »
F1 currently allows front wing planes that are adjustable thru 6* by the driver. There is movement for rear wings to be driver adjustable next year.

DW

I see no rule against moveable wings or spoilers in the SCTA rule book, isn't there a lakester from Carson City area that has a movable
wing as he shifts. Great idea and I'am surprised others haven't tried it.

JL222

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
Well I finally read this thread from the beginning (my boss is in the Bahamas so I had some free time). I am amazed that there is so many who want to outlaw flat bottom motorcycles and potentially cars. Jack (my hero since I saw the first Nebulous car at El Mirage some years back) and Ron Main's Streamliner show this is a valid design. Now, if say you take a round motorcycle streamliner or one of Jack's, put it at 45 degrees at 300 mph, my guess is both would be in deep Subaru. I am designing a Rear Engine Roadster and trying to keep it from kiting if it gets turned around. No easy feat but I don't see a bunch of folks trying to outlaw them. Stifiling free design is not what this sport is about. The reason I enjoy it so much is the lack of cookie cutter vehicles. Viva La Difference.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:45:32 PM by Rcktscientist »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
Willie --

Or Option-Zero on a Macº!

(May be too easy for you PC folks.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2010, 05:15:47 PM »
Or:

Alt 0186 º
Alt 248  °

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2010, 05:39:19 PM »
The first long square, for the most part, streamliners were highly questioned. Most started with smaller engines which did help the competitors get them thru tech. No one wanted to see one pencil roll which is always a danger especially with the speeds they were running then and especially now. Jack made them into lawn darts but it took him a few many years to where he is now.

Since roadsters were brought up, rear engines were outlawed many years ago because they flew. The necessary knowledge had not been reached; maybe it would have but the class was "put on hold". It was length that brought them back. As for roadsters flying, in my years it has been spins for the most part. I have witnessed the long lakesters also spin and not fly too.

Put anything sideways and unpleasant things can happen. None of us wants to loose a tire at speed. It can ruin your day......I like the innovation in the special construction classes and hope it continues.....

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
The first long square, for the most part, streamliners were highly questioned. Most started with smaller engines which did help the competitors get them thru tech. No one wanted to see one pencil roll which is always a danger especially with the speeds they were running then and especially now. Jack made them into lawn darts but it took him a few many years to where he is now.

Since roadsters were brought up, rear engines were outlawed many years ago because they flew. The necessary knowledge had not been reached; maybe it would have but the class was "put on hold". It was length that brought them back. As for roadsters flying, in my years it has been spins for the most part. I have witnessed the long lakesters also spin and not fly too.

Put anything sideways and unpleasant things can happen. None of us wants to loose a tire at speed. It can ruin your day......I like the innovation in the special construction classes and hope it continues.....

+1 What JD said........  8-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
One of the reasons roof rails came to be a rule, I have noticed some Indy cars with a rail down the length of the nose section for that reason to spoil the lift.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah