Author Topic: Buddfab vs. Nebulous 4:  (Read 28675 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Buddfab vs. Nebulous 4:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »
Bob,

I don't believe the Budfab liner has crashed?

Might want to ask them, thought I saw the side scraped up a little before they painted it.... first year or two.... ?

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 06:19:15 PM »
motorcycle liners are gonna hit the ground....
kent

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »
Might want to ask them, thought I saw the side scraped up a little before they painted it.... first year or two.... ?
....probably happened at Wal-Mart........ pretty poor side/rear view in that thing it'd be a devil to park......

...still waiting for a comment from Jack C. This stuff is bears and salmon really for the SCTA....at this point they've whacked a weir across it with the current rule.....the lateral thinkers have been stymied fairly severely, I guess that's where the very last phrase comes in.....

.02 DrG
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 06:36:17 PM »
kent   what the hell has that got to do with anything on  this thread---does it make you feel good to make someone else feel bad   --looks like it to me ---i think everyone knew what i was talking about---if you cant read my posts just sound it out real slow  then say it a little faster sooner or later it will sound right   ---yours in sport                              willie buchta
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 07:31:15 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Eric_Noyes

• http://www.geocities.com/buddfab/buddfab3
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
At our very first meet in 2005 Bub officials allowed us to test it in an unprepared part of the Bonneville salt flats far from the track. I was attempting a U turn at 10- 15mph on the landing gear. (This was the old twist beam design) the mild steel beam bent up releasing it from the locked position and the liner fell over and spun around. We learned to not even to attempt to turn around while on the landing gear. The twist beam was the only part damaged and John made a replacement beam from 4130 and had it heat treated. We used it at the next El Mirage.

We have never crashed on the race course and it has never required bodywork repair, but it has fallen over in the shop, and in the pits and on the trailer. Over the years it got loaded and unloaded from the trailer many times, sometimes in the rain, and it always gets jacked up in the pits and in the shop, occasionally you would be in a position where the smooth and slippery shape leaves you with nothing to grab onto before it falls over.

Blue

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 03:32:38 AM »
For the record I am completely, absolutely, and totally against any flat-bottom design for drag or departure criteria.  (In aviation parlance, this is the term we use when things get out of shape.)  Once it come up at all, a flat bottom car or bike will "kite".  Not pretty.

Any flat bottom will be in 100% turbulent flow and 100% in separated flow if there is a skirt.  This leads to drag that the "round bottom" can avoid IF properly designed.

As a side note, all of the bike and car liners need to look at fairings in front and behind their exposed tires to reduce stagnation in front and separation behind these blunt objects.  On bikes, a fairing that fits close to the front tire in the plane of the overall streamliner and rotates with the front steering would get rid of a lot of the separation and buffeting associated with the front wheel cutout.  This fairing should have generous radii into a fully enclosed wheel well fairing.

I like Wheeler and Budfab.  Nice and small:  minimal wetted area and separation.  Those are the priorities, NOT "frontal area" (an ancient concept not used in subsonic aerodynamics for 60 years).

Offline nebulous

Re: Buddfab vs. Nebulous IV:
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 06:39:04 PM »
Slim
Just never got to this site. To busy building more liners that will soon be banned!
The initial vote for the 20 degree rule I was told by an very honest official "after he contacted 100 prominent Motorcycle scta members was 50 for and 50 against." He then said it was then was to be voted on by the board, and it seemed that they would not vote against the 5050 design.Just so happened me and my crew of 5 were not prominent enough to vote. I only learned about the whole process after the fact when told by a friend. Was I upset well yes. I was not asked to vote or defend a design that did not roll 3 times. A design that did not crash for years before setting 15 records. The proof should have been in the pudding. Budfab is the only other 2 wheel liner that has accomplished this.Nothing about this design has proved less safe, than all the others that have crashed multipal times! Just some people who are afraid of new ideas. and are not capable of learning from successful results, Ideas that will advance LSR not, stagnate it and stifle inovation.There is not and never will be a moving design that can offer a guarantee that it will not crash!Sorry I am late! Jack 
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

Offline Oldanontheway

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Vote for innovation, in my book that is where progress is made.
+1 for Jack

Old
Political correctness is a spineless character flaw that emboldens the enemies of freedom, tolerance and peace.

This ain't your mothers cookie cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.. +10

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 11:58:20 PM »
I received this PM from another member, I thought we should all see it (without revealing the sender) as it adds to discussion.

Second, we may need everyone's help on this one, please name any motorcycle streamliner that has not crashed.  Sorry to bring this part up, but they all probably will if anyone can think of one that has not.  It is the nature of the beast.   

Why stifle innovation?  Are flat bottom cars next? 

I haven't seen any of Lucky Keiser's streamliners crash
http://www.dlra.org.au/profiles/105.htm
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
he probably hasn't had the pleasure to experience the "gap" in the mountain
Kent

Offline nebulous

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
Mr Stainless
There are Road graders, trucks, tractors, cars, and Streamliners, both 4wheel and 2wheel. designed to set speed records in a straight line! If somebody is stupid enough to utilize a flat bottom,install speed scrubing skids, or skids to add safety in event of a flat tire, they should have that freedom! They shouldn't be judged as a car. I think  people should learn,from other designs and be able to  criticize, make fun of, copy or use to improve they're next design! Not change the rules to obsolete them!
Now we will never know which design is better Budfabb or 5050. Not good!
I think Budfabb is capable is getting my records at will! Their effort is the best on the salt!!
Jack
P.S. I rolled 5050 only once! On a test run the engine seized, the back end came around and it rolled. It was Not damaged and I pretended I didn't hurt! I think all 2wheel and most 4wheel "streamliners" would have done the same! Probabaly with more damage though!
Jack Costella   

Offline nebulous

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
A revision to my last post to Mr. Stainless,
I meant to say judged as a car or a motorcycle!
Thanks.  Jack
Jack Costella   

Offline Utahfab

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 11:00:46 PM »
I agree with the 20 degree rule for motorcycle streamliners as I believe flat bottoms push the chances of serious injury beyond what’s acceptable.   Just some thoughts, take them for what their worth, feedback is welcome.

Nothing against Jack’s cars/bikes as I still think they have a wicked fast look that stands alone and, as many have pointed out, their records speaks for themselves.  As for taking a stab at why they’re fast I think their shape is good but their size is better.  Blue commented (I’m paraphrasing what I think he said which might be dangerous!) that shape is far more important than size.  Jack’s cars look pretty “slick” but I bet everything on the salt could be improved and that a very small body with an aero issue still has less drag than a large body with a similar issue?  Until we get it near perfect, size still matters.

I don’t think the aero is a serious safety issue for flat bottom bikes.  Blue mentions kiting, I might be wrong on this but...  Assume one of Jack’s bikes ends up nose high at a high rate of speed.  It would see the rise in pressure that would normally cause kiting but wouldn’t the rear, with its much greater surface area, see more lift, rise faster than the front and end up leveling its attitude?

The problem I have with flat bottom motorcycle streamliners are the corners that come with them (bottom edge, both sides, front to back).  I don’t think they’re more likely to crash but I think they’re much more likely to be VERY dangerous when they do.  The videos I’ve seen of round body motorcycle & bicycle streamliner crashes usually always shows them sliding around on large radius surfaces with a comparatively low amount of drama.  If a flat bottom bike crashes I think there is far too great of a chance it will catch an edge and the crash will become very violent very quickly.  If a round body looses air in the rear it will likely lose control, fall over and slide.  If the rear of a flat bottom loses air it quickly turns into a very fast, very oddly shaped sled.  Any bets if it would continue in a straight, stable direction?  There seems to be far to much of a chance it’s going to catch an edge and, again, get very violent very quickly.

Jack mentions one rollover in 5050 and it seems to support my concern.  When it quit rolling forward normally and came around, it rolled.  Jack can tell us.  Did it just roll on its side and slide or did it hook an edge and barrel roll?  How fast were you going when it happened and what would it have been like if the 250 had seized when it made its 200+ pass?

Crashing is a possibility that everyone here must consider.  Reducing the resultant personal damage is the goal behind nearly every safety rule in book.  Flat bottom motorcycle streamliners were banned not as part of trying to stifle innovation but an effort to keep the innovators alive!  Rollie Free (sp?) went fast too but how long do you think it took to ban his speed suit?
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 02:25:47 AM »
he probably hasn't had the pleasure to experience the "gap" in the mountain
Kent

It's all lake in Aus, although, I'm told,  it does start to get a bit soft at about 50 miles
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Oldanontheway

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2010, 09:17:16 AM »
Sorry about this folks, I realize that I am a nobody, just a fan of those who have the fortitude to get in or on a fast vehicle and go as fast as possible in it, but i have got to rant about this STUPID rule against flat bottoms.  It seems to me that a number of people have theories as to what flat bottomed cars/motorcycles will do if they crash. Do they go too fast, set to many records? Fast is what racing is all about. Where is the proof that they will behave erratically (Still looking aren't ya?) when they roll?? Banning this design is like a witchhunt against innovation and the innovators. Without innovation, i.e. progress, all the cars/motorcycles will all look just alike. This has happened in another racing sport (and it is boring now) the cars are all shaped just alike, only the colors and sponsors are different. I think someone has an axe to grind and they are using "safety" as a way to push their agenda. Who made the rule that motorcycles are supposed to fall over? Don't most large streamliners have some bottom sections that are flat? Will these be outlawed too? Next the witches will want the bottom to have a semi-circular shape. To top this off ( is this really true), the offenders, who are very prominent (but they go too fast) were not asked their opinions or allowed to vote. (Walks away shaking head). Okay that helped a little.....rant,rant,rant....

Old...
Political correctness is a spineless character flaw that emboldens the enemies of freedom, tolerance and peace.

This ain't your mothers cookie cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.. +10