Author Topic: GPS - What kinds are best?  (Read 13354 times)

Offline joea

Re: GPS - What kinds are best?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 01:00:20 PM »
wow you must have been really going fast ......

"""I had it Super Velcro'd,Duct Taped ,and Zipped tided on,but it still blew off"""

noonans stays on at over 250 mph with just regular velcro......

and mcvicars stays on at over 240 without a front fairing.........

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »
Kaz,

The GPS that you lost was a Garmin 72 I believe...

J.A  :cheers:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »
and the N and the A arnt even next to each other on the keyboard  --whats up john ---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Super Kaz

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 02:10:31 PM »

"""I had it Super Velcro'd,Duct Taped ,and Zipped tided on,but it still blew off"""

not on a Harley Dipstitck , try it 1st then tell me about it:roll:! When you commin out of retirement so we can see if that 246mph run was for Real :??

Offline John Noonan

GPS - What kinds are best? The kind that stays on?
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 02:38:53 PM »
and the N and the A arnt even next to each other on the keyboard  --whats up john ---willie buchta

Willie...It was for Joe Amo.... :wink:

Willie you know me pretty dang well, I say how I feel and no "hidden" messages..beef stew huh..?  :wink:

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
bring your own drinks      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »

not on a Harley Dipstitck , try it 1st then tell me about it:roll:! When you commin out of retirement so we can see if that 246mph run was for Real :??

Kaz,

I am sure Joe Amo could assist you with his anti glazing/galling compound that may have been used in the 246mph run with his little Semi-Antique ZX-10 :mrgreen:

Kaz,

Just an FYI:

When you make post's questioning the accuracy/authenticity of the SCTA's timing system and those responsible for it you dishonor many great people that "give' their time and a little piece of themselves every year so "we" can race..if you need the timers or the folks that set up the timing equipment's phone numbers I have them, that way you can question them directly..

PS

Amo's runs are real...just like your 194 timed mile on your last pass on your V-rod.

PSS.  That GPS is about $159.00 I think from boaters world :wink:  If you are coming to El Mirage this month I could get one for you if you have the $$ or I can let you borrow one for this meet.

J

Offline John Noonan

GPS - What kinds are best? Any that Kaz did not install
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »
bring your own drinks      willie buchta

:cheers: :cheers:

Thanks,

I wish we still had the garden growing with veggies...see you two there and thanks.

Let me know if you need anything as we will arrive Friday afternoon..need us to bring some ice for your cooler?

J

Super Kaz

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »

not on a Harley Dipstick , try it 1st then tell me about it:roll:! When you commin out of retirement so we can see if that 246mph run was for Real :??

Kaz,

I am sure Joe Amo could assist you with his anti glazing/galling compound that may have been used in the 246mph run with his little Semi-Antique ZX-10 :mrgreen:

Kaz,

Just an FYI:

When you make post's questioning the accuracy/authenticity of the SCTA's timing system and those responsible for it you dishonor many great people that "give' their time and a little piece of themselves every year so "we" can race..if you need the timers or the folks that set up the timing equipment's phone numbers I have them, that way you can question them directly..

PS

Amo's runs are real...just like your 194 timed mile on your last pass on your V-rod.

PSS.  That GPS is about $159.00 I think from boaters world :wink:  If you are coming to El Mirage this month I could get one for you if you have the $$ or I can let you borrow one for this meet.

J

J,
I'm sure they are{Glenn Barrett doesn't fool around when it come to Timing},but why would he not continue Racing and go for His AA :??
That was an Incredible Run{or Runs} no matter what size or make of Motorcycle :cheers:!
I can only guess why,but it can't be from lack of knowledge or skill?
I've had it all and Lost it and still LIVE ,BREATH,AND EAT RACING :oops:.
I may Not be an EXPERT like yourself,but I've got to buy,break, and loose my share of GPS units :evil:.
SKR........

P.S I was running un-faired with it attached to the Top of my triple tree{catching all the wind off the front of the bike} ,and yes I was going Super Fast :wink:

Offline joea

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »
retirement.............uh I was defending your silly self.....called out
of my civilian work ....and deployed overseas with US Army carrying for our wounded
warriers from afghanistan and iraq in a military hospital for 3 months leading
up to speedweek.........

im sitting in denver at jons awaiting an all clear for wf's that didnt happen......

there are excuses and results.........both speak loudly......

with that said....you go kaz....I respect your effort.....and im willing to help you
with whatever you might need....including how to duct tape, use velcro and zip ties
to secure a gps from falling off ......even with the ferociousness of that porsche designed
motor.....

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:53:22 PM by joea »

racin jason

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2008, 05:34:21 PM »

i will bet  you kaz that joe a has his AA in 2009. :-)

back to the original post:

Garmin foretrex 201 runners model that comes with a velcro wrist strap.  I could read the numbers sliding on my butt at speedweek. reading the digits inside a vehicle should be no problem.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:37:43 PM by racin jason »

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2008, 05:51:11 PM »
  Garmin foretrex 201 runners model that comes with a velcro wrist strap.  I could read the numbers sliding on my butt at speedweek. reading the digits inside a vehicle should be no problem.

Well that is good to know  :-D  I ordered one of these for McRat last night  :cheers:
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2008, 06:33:11 PM »
My wife owns a GPS runners watch.....

Works good for running.

It does take a while to boot up and lock on to enough sats to get a reading.
It drops as soon as it goes under a metal roof.
Tried it in the truck on the way home after we purchased it to see it work and had to keep it in the dash in order to get a signal.

I think my thicker than standard metal roof may of been why I was having some probs with my GPS in car.

I am looking for a remote antenna for it currently.

Good luck with the wrist version if you intend to use it in a vehicle.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Super Kaz

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »
retirement.............uh I was defending your silly self.....called out
of my civilian work ....and deployed overseas with US Army carrying for our wounded
warriers from afghanistan and iraq in a military hospital for 3 months leading
up to speedweek.........

im sitting in denver at jons awaiting an all clear for wf's that didnt happen......

there are excuses and results.........both speak loudly......

with that said....you go kaz....I respect your effort.....and im willing to help you
with whatever you might need....including how to duct tape, use velcro and zip ties
to secure a gps from falling off ......even with the ferociousness of that porsche designed
motor.....

Thank You for Your Service,and I hope to see ya on the Salt in 2009 :cheers:!

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »
My wife owns a GPS runners watch.....

Works good for running.

It does take a while to boot up and lock on to enough sats to get a reading.
It drops as soon as it goes under a metal roof.
Tried it in the truck on the way home after we purchased it to see it work and had to keep it in the dash in order to get a signal.

I think my thicker than standard metal roof may of been why I was having some probs with my GPS in car.

I am looking for a remote antenna for it currently.

Good luck with the wrist version if you intend to use it in a vehicle.

-JH

Thanks for the info.  I will bring the one we currently have also.  It is just a bit slow.  It's only really important if I decide to make my rookie pass in Casper one of these days :-D
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway