Author Topic: GPS - What kinds are best?  (Read 13318 times)

McRat

GPS - What kinds are best?
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:29:03 PM »
I would like to find one that acts fast, goes to xxx.x precision, has a large MPH display, and recalls top speed.  Playback would be cool, but not absolutely necessary.

Are there any that fit racing better than the normal "navigation style" driving GPS's?

Offline DavidinDurango

Re: GPS - What kinds are best?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 04:58:50 PM »
AFAIK, you want the "top speed for trip" feature.  I have that because I can't drive 200mph sideways and watch the readout . . . . .

YMMV.

AFAIK = as far as i know
YMMV =  you mileage may vary

TTFN - wahahahahahaha
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
For what its worth our GPS sorta F-ed us.

I have the Garmin nuvi 660 (msrp of about $850).

On my first run it was my intent to go a tick past 150 for licensing. I put 156(ish) on the GPS and held it steady through the 3rd. The timing slip read 149.85, this meant that I could not run past 175 on my second run and had to re-run for the license.

On the next runs it read hot every run
On my pops last run of 169.745 was showing this on the MAX speed of the GPS (and he lifted because he was already running faster then what was allowed for his license according to the GPS).

Now next year I have to make another license run between 175-200 before I can even make a run for the record @ 205.
As you may guess I am a bit bitter about being screwed by the GPS. I still dont know why it would of read hotter than the timed speed (I could see it running less if it didnt refresh quickly enough) but it only means that it didnt roll the same numbers and by proxy I was screwed.

Anyway this is my angry GPS story, I will know better next time.

-JH

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 05:08:09 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
i run a speedometer that runs off the front wheel --cost 52 dollars  works great  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 06:55:03 PM »
My mechnical tach reads within one mile per hour of what my $2 cardboard Dream Wheel says it should.  the wheel has also helped some find their right gearing on-the-spot without plugging it in.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »
I have a Magellan that I got in 2005 so it is pretty much out dated now, but it has all the features I would use and I like it very much.

It seems that Garmin is the top of the line now and the most common one being used.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
I have a Garmin Etrex and it has read within a half mile per hour on every pass I have used it on.
I piad $50 for it used off of craigslist.

Scott

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 09:07:52 PM »
JNuts, you need to see a speed readout, not max speed.  Depending on angle of intercept to the satellites you may see some erroneous max speed recordings.  Ever see a max for trip at 200+ from just driving down the road.  A real time readout will be like a speedo, and the max error is generally filtered out.  At least that is the way they worked in the early 90s...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

roadtrip

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 09:20:13 PM »
For a simple speed indicator, this little thing works well.

Pros; Small size
        Internal battery
        Large bright numbers
        CHEAP -- about $70 two years ago ..... probably less now

Cons; Reads in one MPH increments ... no 1/10's
         Head-up display is useless in sunlight ... if not reflected it reads upside down and backwards so
         I mounted a mirror on it ... works fine day or night
         No recall

It's accurate, quick and doesn't need to be on top of the dashboard. I put mine on the steering column in front of the speedo. Throw the directions away ... it's easier to figure it out yourself.

DS

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »
I saw that Jason McVicar had the little watch-type Garmin Forerunners attached to his bike dash. These have numbers about 1" tall and are easily read in the sunlight.

I was playing with one in the store the other day and you can configure it so that the entire display just has MPH showing.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 10:02:26 PM »
I have a heads up display on my helmet made by SportVue http://www.sportvue.com/, I used it when I was road racing at it works great. I think they also have them on some bikes at Bonneville.  When I got mine it was about $225.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Jim H

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 03:51:21 PM »
This GPS will update 10 times a second (optional 20 times a second). I believe this is what motec uses.

http://www.blacklinegps.com/fuelgps.html
Maxton 2 Club (All Motor)

Offline jl222

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:39:59 AM »
  Jonny
  It was great to meet you at Bville this year.
  Are you timed at the end of the 3mile like an exit speed or is that an average for the whole mile.
  Unless there is a exit speed trap i don't know how one could average their speed for a whole mile especialy if lacking in power. On short course anyhow.
 El Mirage would be easier with 132 ft. trap.

JL222

PS. Did you talk to anyone about signing your license i would think 149 would be close enough.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 01:05:04 AM by jl222 »

Low Sodium

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 01:11:57 AM »
I have a Garmin Foretrex 101 (about $110, takes 2 AAA batteries) strapped to my steering wheel. Worked with great accuracy during Speed Week. Nice big display and shows max speed, too.  Supposedly reads up to 950mph . . . :-o

Super Kaz

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
Mc Rat,
I had a BIG GARMIN that I traded {My Brand New SMALL one} to John Noonan's{for his Old BIG One} because the Number's were much larger=easier to see!
Then I just Lost it at my Top Secret Test Area out in the Desert while testing for M/B/F-1350cc record run at WOS :cry:!
I had it Super Velcro'd,Duct Taped ,and Zipped tided on,but it still blew off{hitting me right between the eye's} at 200+mph while on a test run :oops:.
I knew I was on a record run so I stayed tucked and didn't look to see where it went.
We Looked for Hour's all over the Desert for it,but never found it :x!
I then Tried a few different one's but they were not Visible{glare} to me at speed.
So I'm in Need of a new one too :|
Kaz..........