Author Topic: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt  (Read 62495 times)

Offline 1 fast evo 2

Re: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
Hey Biglady-I was just catching up on my reading and I came across your update, you are definitely making good progress.
I saw a couple of things you may want to change before you run the car.
1-the thing that really stood out in my mind was your valve cover evacuation system, when you start puking oil out the valve cover it will be sucked into the turbo and into the engine which will also promote detonation if it doesn't choke the car off completely.

2- I believe that when running at Bonneville you have to protect the fuel lines as they pass the plane of the flywheel, you may want to run them differently to make it easier to accomplish.

I am not trying to be a dick or anything, just trying to look out for a fellow dsm'r.
I would hope people speak up when I post up my next build because there are hundreds if not thousands of years experience on this board.If I can change something in my garage to make the car safer or faster or easier to work on all the better.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline biglady112

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:15 AM »
My car is no where near your car mike. I just got tired of the catch can setup and venting to atmosphere setup. This was puts it back just like stock. My little car has only made 447hp(367 uncorrected at altitude), so it it nothing like your 1100hp monster. I would hope this would be ok. Part of it is to clean this engine bay up a little.

As far as the fuel lines, there was no real option. I want to run 10 injectors and no intercooler, and there is just no way to hide all the fuel lines. In one way or another they are going to be in the plane of the flywheel. The rules state I can cover the lines with steel. That was not really an option either, at the pushlok hose is a one time fit. But, I am going to inquire with SCTA to see if I can't modify my scattershield. I was thinking of making it thicker and extending it back and out towards the drivers side. This way there will be a large 1/4" plate blocking the path up and back. And the main shield itself will be 1/2" thick. I was aware of the rule before I put the system in. But unlike all you evo and dsm guys, these turd CSM's have no room. I mean no room.

The other thought I had was to split some steel tubing, slide it over the lines and figure a way to secure it to the hoses.

But thank you for looking out man. I appreciate it. Your car has given me inspiration to achieve 200mph. And after helping Nick Sutton get there, I feel it is my turn next. I wish I could do it in the mile, as my car is 1200lbs lighter than Nick's and he went 173. But I am being pushed from many sides to get this car to bonneville. We hope to see a project of yours out there soon. Even though it is a far drive.

Still plenty of work to be done, and some rules to follow up on. Again, you are one of the main reasons I have taken the steps to LSR racing.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2009, 11:37:45 PM »
Been slow here unfortunately. Work has been nuts. It is a good thing though. I have a ton of money for a change. I bought myself my first welder this week. Just an inexpensive Harbor Freight MIG welder. I also had to get a new phone as I dropped my phone off of a roof the other night while I was tarping someone's roof at work. The week before I dropped it in a bucket of antifreeze while I was replacing the burnt coolant lines on the colt. So I spent a ton of money on other things.

On to the car. I got all the coolant hoses completely replaced about two weeks ago. It came out a little cleaner than the first time, and I was able to hang them and secure them better as well. I also got the timing belt cover off because it was damaged in the fire. While inspecting everything, at the last minute I found a very very small piece of the timing belt got damaged in the fire. About a 2"x1/4" strip on the edge of the belt. So that had to come off. Sucks, as that belt had about 300 miles on it. But it was donated from jaysmirage. It was a factory Hyundai belt. Bummer, but glad I checked.

I also made connection to the ecu with the laptop about three weeks ago. I have been working out a few bugs here and there. I was still getting a DTC for the coolant temp sensor and a knock sensor. I tried a new coolant sensor, still read fine, but kept throwing a code. So tonight I made some time and wired in the four new connectors for the primary injectors as they were damaged from the fire. I also wanted to make a serious effort on those two DTC's. I ran two new wires for the coolant temp sensor and that fixed that problem. I rewired the knock sensor on the ecu harness side. Still throwing a code. So I removed the knock sensor only to find out that it got hurt by the fire. It was strange, because when I checked last week it appeared ok, but may have got a little hot. Upon removal I found that under the sheathing it had melted both wires pretty bad, but the outer sheathing was in good shape. Must have just been from the heat. I can only assume it was grounding itself out. I could have rigged it up, but better safe than sorry.

Only thing left to do with the wiring is move four more wires from the "engine fusebox" and wire in the ford ignition. I am still trying to get confirmation on the correct wiring for the ford ignition. It is only three wires, but we can't get a good answer on what is what. Nick has the answer, he is just being lazy about getting me the info. I also have to put the new timing belt and new valve cover gaskets on when they come in tomorrow. So I am getting really close. Total damage including the $150 in coolant lines, is around $300 for the fire. Not too bad. And $60 of that was upgrading to the ford ignition.

So again, getting really close to having a start up video for you guys. I am going to have my little suedo-distribution block for the fuel welded into one whole piece, eliminating another failure point. I am going to try to get that done this week. I am super excited. I think this round is really going to make the car awesome. I have been wanting to do these things for years. And to know that I am doing them right, the end result is going to be sick. I hope to be able to report a 200mph run in the next 12-24 months.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2009, 11:28:35 PM »
A few more things. Got the new knock sensor in. DTC went away. So electronically, I believe the ECU is ready to run. We got a good game plan for the last four wires for the "dash" harness. We want to wait until the car starts before we attempt to remove them. We are pretty sure we can remove them. I installed the new timing belt. Went on first try. Got the cooling system ready to prime. I was intending to fill the car with water today, but my christmas gift finally got here.

I got a brand new canvass top for my suzuki samurai. My fiance got it for me. It was a son of a bitch to put on. It sat in the garage all night, and was super tight. After fighting with it for about 30 minutes, I finally got it stretched into place. It sucked.

Only other thing today was Nick made me a bracket for my ignition.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Well fanfordingtastic news. Got the car started today. I am 98% done with this round. I have to clean the wiring up a little and bleed the cooling system. After that, we begin the next large project. Parts are on order for that.

Here is the worst video of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bRKWm24oQI
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:32:20 AM by SPARKY »
1947 Dodge Pickup

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »
Congratulations ---got to make you feel great
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline biglady112

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
Definitely, especially after the fire the first go around.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline 1 fast evo 2

« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2010, 05:34:50 PM »
The car is really starting to look and sound impressive. Good job man.
Now you need to tell Nick to get off his ass and gat some new goodies on his car  :cheers:.
E.C.T.A. 200 MPH club
Winner HOTROD TOPSPEED CHALLENGE (superstreet) 2008
My EVO 2 - 8.96@158 mph in the 1/4
221.4 mph at Maxton sept. 08
223.6 mph at the Texas mile oct. 08
237.6 mph at Maxton april 2010

Offline biglady112

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »
I saw his car thursday. It had the hood up and a few things off the car. Not sure what else we can do minus turning the wick up. He wants a production record and refuses to change the car until he does so. He has spoke about altering the car within the rule "interpretation" for body work. He put a new coilover suspension on the car. Is that enough?

Oh, and thank you Mike.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2010, 07:44:30 PM »
I read through the build but I still cant find any determination on what class or event this car is planning on running.

~also:
4 lug wheels are not 200 mph legal, that is if the current record is 200. If you set a record (or go over 200?) they wont let you run again in another event. This is something that just about prevented me from running last year.
The Colt GT wheels are not legal.
(SCTA anyway)

~JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline biglady112

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
The car will be running rewelded steelies. I saw the 4 lug rule in the book, but I am going to petition to SCTA about this as there is not a safe and feasible option to convert to five lug.

I do not care about running in a class. I will just run to run. I have no interest in any records. But G/PS or G/BCC maybe. I do plan on doing a full streamline to the chassis, so I would not even know where that would put me. But, to me it is not that important to be in a class.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2010, 12:16:23 PM »
Nice to see it started up.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2010, 10:03:36 PM »
Thanks John. How close are you?
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
My goal is to finish by last week of March and ready for Maxton.  I have had 0 time to do any real work on it but have taken off a couple weeks in the next couple of months to finish the car.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:42 AM »
I hate to say this but technically every single piece of rubber hose in your engine bay that has been slip fitted over a barb must have a hose clamp on it.  Don't show up to an SCTA event without at least bringing enough clamps to add them on if you have to.  I would inspect your car, recognize that these types of hoses fittings do not require clamps and not ask you to add them.  But, the next time someone else inspects your car who happens to be a stickler for following exactly what the rule book says I can all but guarentee that you'll be putting clamps on all those hoses.  They don't even have to be really tight either.  They just need to be there.

You're making good progress.  Keep up the good work. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member