Author Topic: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt  (Read 62294 times)

Offline biglady112

Re: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »
Huge progress this week. Got another 35lbs of wiring removed from the car. For a total in the 80-82lb range. WOW. Also removed the rear bumper, rear bumper cover, rear tail lights, head lights, front valance under the lights, front bumper, front bumper cover, both front fenders, all seat belt tracks, all seat belts, passenger seat, speedometer cable and a few things here and there.

I also made huge headway with the wiring harness, removed the MPI relay and made a connection to the ecu for the first time with my skimpy harness. I have to say there is nothing left in the car. It is sweet. So having the fire was a good thing. Not to mention all the weight I shed off the car. I think I lost around another 150lbs off the car this week. If I did not have the large cooling system, I would go out on a limb and say the car could be under 2000lbs. SWEET.

I have decided to go with a racepak dash and datalogging system. So the last of the stock dash and gauge cluster had to go as well. It will be pricey, but it offers so many things that dsmlink cannot. The new ignition will be here tomorrow and I am still waiting on the new fan. I still have to make a trip to the junk yard to get a plug for the ignition and four new injector connectors, but that should be easy. I also have to still remove the burned cooling lines and measure them so I can go and get the replacements. Next week should be a busy week and I think the car will fire.

I just have to rewire the knock sensor and coolant temp sensor, as they were tied in with the stock dash harness, and now I am getting DTC's from ecmlink for them. No big deal, I had to rewire both on the mirage when I had it.

Keep your eyes peeled for a start up video.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2009, 11:06:25 PM »
WOW.... big progress,,, looking GOOD.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline stratman59

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2009, 06:10:31 AM »
Nice progress!!
Are you planning on rollcage and sealing the driver area from the fuel cell and battery?

Robbie

Offline biglady112

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2009, 08:23:49 AM »
Before the fire the plan was to do the parachute then the roll cage. Now that the fire has happened we are going to switch the priorities. The roll cage is next on the list after I get the car started. We are going to mount the parachute to the cage, so the cage goes in first.

We are looking to seal the whole rear of the car if we can rather than two mini fire walls. That third and four tank both hold coolant. So I need a fire wall for the large thank and the fuel cell.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
The new ignition came in today. This should eliminate the need for any type of ignition amplifier. I still have to go and get a connector at the junk yard for it, as well as four new injector connectors to repair those from the fire. I am not sure how far I will get this weekend because I am on call. And things were busy enough as it was all week.

I still have to remove the burned coolant lines, rewire the knock sensor and coolant sensor and install this ignition. After these few things I can attempt to start the car. Hopefully next week it will fire. It may come close this weekend, but we will have to see how busy I am with work.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »
Just got caught up on your build.  Man, fire can be a really scary thing - glad you're okay and the damage was minimal.

Safety on the course is always a topic on this forum, but this is a timely reminder to everyone that safety in the shop is equally important.  Hadn't even dawned on me until I read this, so I'll be grabbing a fire extinguisher this weekend for my garage.

Cheers! :cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »
Intresting build I bet that thing is going to SCREAM  :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline biglady112

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 10:38:37 AM »
If it does 200 I'll be happy. Anything over that would make me do a back flip. I don't need too many rpm in fifth to accomplish it either. So we shall see. Gotta finish the car first. It was cresting 130mph in the quarter mile before, so a little more power and some room to run and it may be a dream come true.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 12:03:34 PM »
I think I'll start a thread on safety.  Let's all have the chance to brag about what safety items we've got in our garage/shop/basement/house -- or see what others have and we ought to have but were too lazy or cheap to get.  Look for it as "What safety equipment is in the shop?"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline biglady112

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »
I wasn't ever worried, because I never did anything too serious to the car. And never had a mishap in the garage, mine or at someone else's. And I was going to be installing the fire suppression very very soon, so I did not even think about it. I wish I had something at the time though. I could have had it out immediately. And really minimized damage. But it was a blessing in disguise. It has made me take the turn I should have long ago with the car.

I have an extinguisher now.  :roll:
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 06:09:32 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 06:33:16 PM »
The father in law was here yesterday and I was showing him our bellytank and mentioned how we are changing our fire system to accommodate more capacity, I pointed out the nozzles and how the one pointing at the driver is a separate system, "just in case it's still burning after the engine bay and fuel tank area systems have been set off"......He chuckled, he's had an ocean going race-boat with two full-race big block Chevs.....

" six fires , once we were sitting in the boat all the goo had gone and it was still burning, we were goners, another racer saved us".

....but the worst one was in the shop....it took all the skin off his upper body in a flash ,all his hair, he's still a bit pink, he's very meticulous and not a cowboy , can't be too careful....

"just a bad set of circumstances, when high pressure fuel fires start , everything gets very very serious very quickly".....

he's been hoisted by chopper , blue, no pulse from the water as well...

Norm Bradshaw a member of the DLRA has a Late model Ford dressed up as a Taxi with a very trick Bclass motor with a huge turbo...before it's first test runs at Mangalore airport it had a fire on the chassis dyno, a big set back that wouldn't have been so bad if the fire extinguisher hadn't been wired securely to the wall to stop it being bumped off....by the time they got it off the damage was done
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2009, 07:24:43 PM »
I am just thankful it was not that bad. I am just glad I can continue with this project and hobby I love the most.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
WOW, fires are scary indeed.  While doing some wiring on the new car I hit power to the wrong wire and it started smoking in the rear quarter.  Lucky nothing ignited just smoldered a second but it did make me happy to know I had a fire extinguisher in hand withing 10 seconds of seeing smoke.  You can never be too careful.

Good luck with the build.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2009, 10:26:34 PM »
Thanks John. Things are coming along nicely now. It was a minow set back, but only a time matter. No real dollar loss persay. Glad to see your car coming along great as well.
1947 Dodge Pickup