Author Topic: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt  (Read 62513 times)

Offline biglady112

Re: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »
Alright, I can't help myself. Went out and got the fuel cell in. Got all the bulkhead fittings put in their proper places. Only thing left from todays purchases are the boost fitting and gauge. That will get installed next week after all the big stuff comes in.

Here is tonights progress.

Fuel cell mounted

View of the rear of the car now. All that is left back here is a firewall for the water tank and fuel cell.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2009, 10:01:39 PM »
I bought my fiance a new mini laptop two weeks ago, so I claimed her laptop as mine finally. It is on its third battery so it needs to be plugged in full time now. Too cheap to buy another battery. I have had an inverter for about five years and bounced it from car to car. Never mounting it because I would use it to tune other cars a lot. I don't do any tuning any more, so I figured it was time to mount the laptop and inverter in the car. Here you go.

Inverter mounted and hardwired into the car.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:40 PM »
Major components of the fuel system came in last night. Big money here. My ass still hurts a bit. I spent almost as much on the pump alone this time as I spent on the whole system that I built for the mirage. Magnafuel goodness below.

Magnafuel 4103

4 port regulator with boost reference

-10 to -8 Y fitting
-8 to -8 fitting
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »
One step closer to the new fuel system being complete.

AEM 10 channel driver box
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
Small update. Had some tires given to me. I am only able to use two of them seems as my car is 2WD. I can only use these frontrunners as trailing tires. I have to use LSR tires as drive tires. But, I can keep all four and use them as spares. I do have to pick up some wheels or have some custom made for my lug patter, but either way is not an issue. There is a few places in colorado to have wheels like this made.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:54:32 AM by biglady112 »
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »
Finally have the valve cover/breather/vacuum pump setup installed.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2009, 10:06:29 PM »
Spent as long as I could stand in the garage today. It was 22* in the garage. Not as warm as my home that we just sold by a long shot. But still got a few things done. I was hoping to wire in the AEM box this weekend, but it just did not happen.

I did manage to get the regulator mounted and fuel pump mounted. I have to make a bracket so it has two mounting points, but this is where the regulator is going to be mounted. I got the ground hooked up but it started to get real cold and did not want to finish soldering the fuel pump in. I did twist the power wire together to test it out. It is pretty damn quite I have to say. Much more tolerable than the Aeromotive Eliminator I had in the mirage. I mean you could hear it under there, but I think when the car is running I won't even hear it. Which is great, as it is more or less mounted right under the driver's seat.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2009, 10:07:26 PM »
Took about 6-7 weeks, but here is my hot nasty intake manifold. One off pieces and saved me like $1200 versus going to a sheet metal intake manifold. At this point and maybe forever, I will sacrifice a little bit of power versus spending an extra $1200.

I will have pics in the next day or two of the mini fuel rail setup on the pipe. It will look pretty much the same though. I also had him weld over all the vacuum ports and welded on a -4 male fitting for the new vacuum distribution block. Including the brake booster port. The vacuum setup should look really clean I hope.

Let me know what you guys think. I put it down on paper and this is what we came up with after a few weeks. Just had to be fit in is what took so long.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
Set in the engine bay for giggles.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:05 PM »
Here are some preliminary drawings that James LaMere cane up with this weekend for the car. I think we are going to begin this next month.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »
Got a little bit done this afternoon. I got the hotpipe back today and picked up the last few things I needed. The only thing I am short is three fittings for the fuel system that I ordered the other day as they were not in stock. But, I plumbed all the vacuum lines today, and all but two fuel lines. Both of those fuel lines will be a 5-10 minute deal though. I will post those pics when I get the last two lines done. Getting close to finally having my first parachute and first roll cage.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »
Got the fuel lines and vacuum lines all plumbed in the past two nights with a little spare time I had. Still have to pull everything off, prep it, clean it and do some deburring on the manifold. I would like to have all the done this weekend. Hopefully in the next 1-2 weeks I can make progress and get the car started. Only thing needed is the wiring as the other hard parts are done.

Enjoy.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »
So close, so close. I spent 5 hours in the garage friday, 15 saturday and a little over six hours tonight. Just getting all the details taken care of and making this look as clean as I can. Got ready to to start it around 4pm. No go. Tried and tried. Spent about an hour diagnosing before I started to make some calls. Went inside to take a break and had a few convesations. Went back out and tried something. Got a little somewhere. Came back in and made another call. Went back out again and made some more progress. After thinking on it, I got on the horn to find some parts to verify.

It seems that after about two months of sitting three of my FIC 1150's have failed. They did not fail on their own, they appear to have possibly been damaged by a magnet. I ran to pick up some known good RC 550's. Came home and got them in there and before I could even test them with the CAS, one of the shot out of the rail(unmounted hanging over engine) and fuel shot out across the garage about 8 feet at only 25psi of fuel pressure. Good thing I turned the pressure down from the 60psi I had it at. Pretty impressive to see how much fuel it dumped on the motor and floor. Even crazier to see how much was coming out of the hole. Really makes the Aeromotive Eliminator I had look like a piece of crap.

Any way, the 550's all four sprayed just fine when it was said and done. The 1150's only had 1 injector firing no matter where it was in the rail and no matter where I plugged it it. So it is good to know I wired it correct. At first that was my fear that I may have made a mistake. It could have fired tonight with the 550's, but I will just wait as I have other things I want to do, and I don't really even want to mess with these 550's.

So close.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
Just when I made head way. MAJOR FUCKING SET BACK. Figured out that the 1150's had stuck closed. Really dirty. Cleaned them really well and was ready to rock. I just wanted to test them for fuel spray one more time. I slid them in the rail and turned the pump on. Then spun the CAS by hand. An injector came flying out. it happened one more time before braced them. The third time it came out it ignited from the 12v going to the injector as I was spinning the CAS. It happened probably 20 times yesterday so it never crossed my mind. Well the last time it ignited and went up quick. Over all it isnt too bad. It could have been worse. Plenty to fix, but nothing worth much of anything thank goodness. It took about 15-20 gallons of water to put the fire out. I had it out before the fire deptartment got here.

Just sucks though. I was less than five minutes away from firing the car up for the first time.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:32 PM »
Made good progress last night. Replaced two fuel hoses and three vacuum lines. Still had enough extra hose left over. The only things I lost ended up being a fan(which if forced to still could be used), my plug wires and my coil pack. it chared the tape on the harness, but once I removed the tape all of the wiring I tore down was still intact and not compromised. The most expensive parts I have to buy are the -12 coolant lines. They did not burn through, but they are not they way they were.

So all in all it was not too bad. Sucks it happened, but now I get to take a even more serious turn with the car. The decision has been made to take to car off the road permanently. I am going to remove the head lights, blinkers and markers both front and rear. I think it is time I stop pretending the car is a street car. I am excited to get all the lights, and light shells and even more wiring out of the car. Sucks I won't get to enjoy the car as much as I would like, but I can still go out to the garage and hear it rumble.

Thanks to Jaysmirage and 89coltgt for the help and support thus far. You two guys keep me going.
1947 Dodge Pickup