Author Topic: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt  (Read 62289 times)

Offline biglady112

Re: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2010, 06:44:13 AM »
Certainly have not forgot about this. I have been busy with my new galant that is all. Putting a new motor and tranny together for that.

But we started sanding last night and are getting close to laying fiberglass down for the front end.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #151 on: August 02, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »
Been a little slow with the race car lately. I bought a new "daily driver" project. It needed way more work than I was hoping for. Lets just say it needed a motor and transmission, but strangely enough the previous owner drove it every day with three broken pistons and a tore up tranny. Here is the other new toy.

Picked this car up last month. The motor was in bas shape. And so was the tranny. I have just a few more parts before I can drop the motor in. And the tranny I hope will go back together some time this week or next. I leave for Bonneville on the 12th, I am hoping to have it all at least assembled by then. But I have spent a bunch more than anticipated and am basically waiting on another check before I go.

65mm turbo
.040" over topline pistons
.010/.010" turned crank
Reconditioned stock rods
Clevite bearings
Ebay 38mm wastegate
Modified and rewelded ebay T3 manifold
And a few small tricks here and there. Just enough to hopefully make it reliable. Looking for 350-400whp when it is said and done. On stock cams, head and intake.
And yes, that is all that there is to the exhaust. Less than a foot of 2.5" pipe.

All clearences are .0015".

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
The car is prepped for paint. The inside of the car is getting painted black and the outside is going to be a silver color. I still have a little more to do inside the car, but the body it ready. We have not made too much progress on the front end, but it is pretty much ready for fiberglass.

Now after dicking with the other car, I have a spare good running motor for the colt. I have a head I am working on right now for it, I am just a set of cams away from getting this thing on the motor. I have no intention on swapping parts if something happens to the motor racing. So I will have to identical setups. Just pull out the hurt motor, and install the back up. Same cams, same oil filter housing, water pump and all. Finally nice to have a spare running motor, too bad it is only a stock motor. But hea, at least I am a year ahead of schedule to where I wanted that program to be. I was planning on building one next year, but now it is done. And it is cheaper. Now I have can also run in two engine classes.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
Black interior???  My eyes are old and tired.  The smartest thing that I've done on the last 3 or 4 cars built is to paint the inner firewall and all of the under dash area white.  Makes working on it 1000 times easier.   :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2010, 05:38:53 PM »
Backing up what Mike had to say, early on I painted a couple of interiors black. What a huge difference when I switched to lighter colors! I now usually use grey Tremclad rust paint as it's easy to repair and looks good. The really big bonus is you can see inside the car whether it's working on something or trying to find that Dodge little nut that you dropped while working under the dash.

Pete

Offline biglady112

« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Well you guys are old farts. I am only 28 and see just fine.  :-D

But no, there is no interior in the car. Only thing on the floor is a seat, fire bottles and the roll cage. The black is not set in stone, we will talk it over. Thanks for the suggestions.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #157 on: November 07, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
Brought the car home last night. It has sat for too long.

But I have been moving along little by little with what I can. I will have pictures tomorrow or tuesday. But the spare motor is 100% done. So that puts me well ahead in the motor program than what I thought I would be. Only issue is it is a stock motor. But it will do for now while I get things in order and learn the car.

I am ditching the nose cone for the front end. I am going back to a stock bumper that will be modified. I just can't seem to get consistent help, or almost help at all, so I will just do what I can the best I can. Look for pictures soon.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:59 PM »
Things have been a little slow around here. Mostly due to low money. But all that money actually went to the car. I finished off my spare motor. While it is not the most ideal motor, it is a running motor non the less. After the fiasco with the galant, I decided to keep the short block as it was in good shape. But I have a good spare motor to take regardless when we go racing. Hopefully the 1.6L will last a while and I can learn with it. But I do have another 1.6L here as well. My goal is to get one more 2.0L next year.

Well nothing too special with this motor.

It is a stock 2.0L with the following-
.040 over topline pistons
Stock reconditioned rods
Clevite 77 bearings
Original oil pump to the motor
Balance shafts removed
-10 oil cooler provisions
-12 water pump provision
Brian Crower 280's
Conititech timing belt
-12 water neck(completely welded over)
-10 valve cover vent
Mitsubishi 4 layer head gasket
Stock head bolts at 110lbs
Highly modified 8 quart oil pan
Slight clean up to a stock head, and I mean slight
All exhaust manifold studs enlarged to 10mmx1.25
And just little tricks and techniques that I have learned over the years. Nothing special as you can see though.

The next step to start in about a week and a half is some of the streamlining and body panels for that. Including a stock front bumper that I am going to modify. That part I am not clear on yet, but should be fun. I am happy and sad that I am finished with my motor program for now. Actually about a year ahead with that. Too bad it is a stock motor. Oh well, it should work out for a while.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:34:17 PM by biglady112 »
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
Well, just a small update that does not matter. I finished the backup motor completely. I got it all sealed up last week, oil pump primed and timing belt installed. I drained the oil and wrapped a bag around the engine and tucked it away for when we are ready to go racing.

In a few weeks I will move forward again. The plan is to start with some of thebody and aero work. I am not far off, just need to keep the money coming in so I can keep making progress.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:37 PM »
Put in a little time this weekend. Had a hell of a time trying to weld on the tabs for my side skirts. No matter what amperage I tried, what wire speed I tired, I kept burning through the body. The metal is super thin on these cars. What a pain in the ass. I also installed the roof rails finally. That fealt great finally getting those done.

I also had the metal for the main skirts sheared on thursday, so once I take the dzus fasteners back to get the right set, I can install those as well. So hopefuly tomorrow night. I still need to go pick up some steel for the wheel well covers I am going to make. I will get that measured tomorrow as well. I wanted to make head way on the lower skirts first though.

The other goal this week is to get some primer and get at least the outside of the car coated. I finished sanding the last few spots so I am ready to put a sealer on the car and skirts. If I can get the rest of the wheel covers done and everything hung this week, next week my goal is to get some paint and lay some color down.

Little by little here.

1947 Dodge Pickup