Author Topic: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt  (Read 62388 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: biglady112's LSR 1989 Dodge Colt
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2010, 01:26:48 AM »
Definitely a young man's car. Those of us that have developed fuller figures over the years would never get in and out. :-( :-( :roll:

Keep sluggin' away. You're definitely a doer, not a talker.

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »
one of the main things I was told to be sure and check, with the driver suited up and in the car is for excessive clearance between the side of the helment and the cage tubes and to make sure the HANS studs don't hit them
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline biglady112

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
We are good there. When we were mounting the seat, I brought down the suit and helmet. While I do not have a HANS yet, for the amount of room I have, I don't forsee any issues. I am a small guy, and from my shoulders up, I have TONS of room. Like 4-6" above my head. Thanks though sparky.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »
on the side to side they want to see NO MORE than what you can stick your hands between the helment and side bars
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline biglady112

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
We have the solution for that. It is just not been installed yet. We are going to be using a mesh like metal, thing decorative diamond shaped holes. It will be on the lower front opening, and the upper rear opening behind my helmet. Than, a window net where I will be going in and out of the set. The lower rear opening is behind the seat completely. Is there a need for any barrier there? And the lowest part directly next to the seat, is under the structure of the seat as well. We may put a barrier there, but we are also adding one more bar on each side under the door bar from the rear "x" to the door bar. Just to complete the traditional "x" look. It won't be perfect, but we think it will be enough to not be haggled about.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
I thought if you ran a full containment seat roll bar around the head rule did not apply because thats what the seat was designed for?  Did I miss something?

Offline biglady112

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2010, 12:51:03 PM »
Not entirely sure john. I may have read the before as well. But I wanted the funny car setup in there and fealt safer with it.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Bville701

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:31 PM »
Something that can help make the cage a little stronger would be gussetts in some of your corners. I like the fact that you went with the funny car cage, and would suggest anyone building a coupe do so. Great build and keep up the good work.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline biglady112

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
I set out not to do gussets. I basically was neer in the mood to incorporate them. I can add them later if need be. Just more work. And of course I already spend too much time on the car.

Anything else anyone see that could create a problem or be a weakness.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
Got a ton accomplished this weekend. Got some more bars in the car, got some metal so keep my arms in the car, got 90-95% of the roll cage done, modified and moved my coolant overflow, got the seat mounted and got all the harnesses figured out and mounted.

The one thing to really note this weekend was we had to build a new fuel tank. The 5 gallon tank I bought just was not going to work. It was in the way of every thing we were trying to do. And building a full fire wall for the rear of the car was going to be a huge pain. So we built a tank to mount in the stock location. All my hoses clear it with ease, something I had trouble with with the stock tank. It holds 14.5 gallons. So I also tripled my fuel capacity this weekend.

These pictures were just before we pressure tested it and threw down some welds to seal up the leaks. There is also a tip-over valve just to the left of the fill cap. It was not installed until after the pressure tests.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline biglady112

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2010, 08:56:46 PM »
Got a few toys in today. The custom stroud window net came in, all the final pieces for my air/air oil cooler setup came in, the fan for the oil cooler came in and my fire suppression systems came in.

I am only going to post a picture of the window net today. I would rather have install pictures of the other pieces. I also need to get pictures of the LSR parachute. It is going to be mounted very soon as well.

1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »
What fire suit are you required to have? 

Looking good thus far.

Offline biglady112

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
3.2A/20. I have a 3.2A/1, but can't even use it at bonneville. NHRA tracks I can, but it was a gift a few years ago from a friend, so no money lost.

Hopefully soon I will have some more install pics. Getting really close to being donw with buying parts for this thing. The racepak system is all that is left to buy. Everything else is super small or has to be made.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Johntsi

« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
20 suits are not cheap, and if the rules are like the ECTA, 15 gloves, 15 boots, hans device, underwear, etc don't forget to budged for that stuff to.  I didn't realize it until I had to buy it but you get in wearing $3000 worth of safety equipment.

Do you already have an inertia switch as well?

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,6803.0.html

Offline biglady112

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
I already have set out to buy that stuff. I am about sick of spending so much money though. LSR racing is way more expensive than drag racing. I knew how much it was going to cost, but when you spend the money in cash like I do, it gets a little disheartening to know that everything is so expensive.

And my fuel pump is run through the cutoff switch. When the power is cut, I lose everything. As it should be. The good part about making a race harness.

I guess one more damn thing I have to put in this car. And my fuel system is already finished.
1947 Dodge Pickup