Author Topic: open records  (Read 5031 times)

Offline willieworld

open records
« on: September 29, 2008, 07:06:04 PM »
you may be right ----but by my count there are 330 open car records-------willie buchta

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:44:56 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: open records
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
why are you even posting this at all.?.... the car boys are already complaining that the bike side has too many classes and have sugested in the past that we eliminate some of them..... and now your gonna come right out and post this info on a public forum.?.... the only thing i ask of you is if you wouldnt do it and just remove the post thanks Willie
kent
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:21:28 PM by 1212FBGS »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:23:15 PM »
In Nov. of 2003 there were 1763 motorcycle classes and 671 car classes/  I don't know what the current numbers are and don't really care. Seems like there are a lot that never be run. They don't need to be posted here as they are in the rule book and will change again in 2009.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:55 PM »
If you have a need to know which motorcycle reords are open contact the motorcycle committee. They have a complete listing of open classes.

Better yet, find a 2006 rulebook and a 2008 rulebook. Mark off all the open records in the 2006 book that have had a speed posted, the remaining classes are still open. Be sure to check records from SW, WoS and the upcoming WF to see other classes that have been deleted from the open list.

DW

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Glen,
  I gotta agree. No need to define as nearly 60 percent (WAG) of the classes don't exsit by their own definition.
125 cc P/PBG, 250 cc V/PF, etc.  Ever heard of one? Just because the it's a legitimate combination of letters doen't make it real.
  Tell ya what, let's ask if the event organizers if they want to turn someone away just because no one had built one before. Unless it has a propeller, of course.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:27:56 PM »
"125 cc P/PBG, 250 cc V/PF, etc."

This is one reason I cut the El Mirage open class minimums from the rulebook. Reduced page count and therefore cost per issue to print was reduced.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
I need to clarify a bit. I recieved a PM from Sam Dakin about minimums.

The minimums I was referring to are for El Mirage only. There are mins in place because we race for a points championship and the points structure is speed vrs. record based.

At Bonneville if there is no record listed for a legal class then it is an open record and two consecutive runs will result in a record. One needs only go through the rules for allowable classes and determine all the variations allowed. Go to the records section of the rulebook and look for a record. If no record is listed then the class is open. Don't forget to factor in the events already held this year and the World Finals.

In the car classes, at the end of the class description all the available engine classes are listed.

I hope this will clarify my previous post,

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
Oh, it's so much fun being a pain in the butt.  Here's my story, and here's why you should be very careful before you assume a record is open - just because there's none listed in the rulebook for your chosen class.

Nancy and I did just that one time a few years ago.  We ran her bike, qualified (pretty easy to do on an open record), and made the return run.  The numbers were good enough to be justifiably happy with them.  We went to impound and were ready to open the engine for measuring -- when someone brought out a list of all records.  Dang -- there WAS a record in that class -- but for whatever reason it wasn't listed in the rulebook.  Whether someone forgot to send that particular record to the printer, or whether the printer left it out for whatever reason -- we learned that a racer might do well to confirm absolutely that a class is open, or, if not, what the record really is in the chosen class.

Pain in the butt story over for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

McRat

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
Here's a somewhat related question.  Not worthy of a new topic.

Are production dirt bikes allowed to run?  Or just street bikes in Production?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »
Heck, Dean rides an ironing board with an engine and wheels. :-D
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:43:34 PM »
pat you can run anything.... ex, the F&L guys put a turbo on a dirt bike and set a open record at bonneville and then did a big mag article on how great of accomplishment it was.... funny thing about it was their record blown record was slower than my 125 production record at elmo.....
kent

McRat

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
I'm too...  uh...  round? :-D to mess with LSR bikes.  Too much metal in me anyhow from bikes, so I ride slow nowadays. :|  Ironing boards are out as well; I do the cooking at our home, but darned if I'll do the laundry!!  :x

Just wondering how fast a KTM50 would go if you tweaked it and found a circus midget to ride it, but the production rules don't say you can run anything without OEM lighting. 

I would guess they aren't eligible for P-P records, or they would have to let true roadrace bikes in as well.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:13:52 PM by McRat »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:27:15 AM »
Heck, Dean rides an ironing board with an engine and wheels. :-D
 :cheers:

I thought he cut the flexi/flyer in half?  or did it just fold in half.. :-D