Author Topic: Donations for Dave Owen’s family  (Read 6108 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Donations for Dave Owen’s family
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
Donations and email correspondence can be sent to owenfamily@dahmurf.com.

(The name on the paypal account will appear as Debbie Heneman my maiden name)

Todd and myself have been close with Dave, Lauren and Josh for several years. We’ve never had the opportunity to meet Jakie. We’ve been in contact with Lauren repeatedly over the past few days as well as being with Josh and speaking with him now that he’s safely at home.

I’ve established an email address and attached it to my personal paypal account. The email address is owenfamily@dahmurf.com. I haven’t used the account in 3 months and it is currently at a zero balance. All correspondence from the paypal account will also go into this email address. When the family is ready I will give them the password so they can check on donations, comments and emails.

I have not run this by them and I don’t know what else might be getting set up as I type. What I do know is that the family is going to need our assistance and I am willing and able to at least coordinate this for them. If something bigger or more official is launched in the future I will happily forward what I’ve collected. Until then I will keep Lauren up to date on the collections and forward it to her regularly or as frequently as needed.

Lets please remember that Dave was still a large financial supporter of his family. There is believed to be a small insurance policy but Lauren feels that it might only be enough to cover arrangements for Dave. Being an insurance policy the money won’t be immediately available so she will likely need to cover expenses up front. As others have said, if DaveO ever took the time to help you then please take a moment and a few dollars to help him back. No amount of money is too small. Just think, if every member on this forum where to send one dollar that would be $1,990!

Debbie & Todd Dross
Twin Jugs Racing
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Donations for Dave Owen’s family
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »
Deb,

I sent you what I could... :wink:

I was going to also start a fund yesterday however as I said in the paypal payment more money can be generated through those that were so very close to Dave..

Friends, fans, and customers of Dave Owen, Dave gave so much to LSR and the the drag racing community, please find it in your hearts and wallets to assist in creating a fund for the family's numerous expenses that may have already started to incur.

I sent over $260.00 and I don't even have a job and no unemployment so I challenge (ask politely  :wink:) to those that can, please match or exceed my own gift, the family can use it..

Thank you for any and all donations you may give.. :cheers:

Offline DontSpinMeBro

• New folks
Re: Donations for Dave Owen’s family
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:35:11 PM »
I don't know Dave, his story or anything, but I know a little about fundraising.
The best way I know to get money is to have a garage sale of all the stuff you have meant to get rid of.
I had an Obama Garage Sale and donated over $300.00 two weeks ago. Two years before that I had a friend who was killed in Iraq and I had a garage sale to help his wife and kids. I made close to $300 on that one too. It only takes one Saturday. It's almost like free money, so it's painless and it's a nice way to spend a day...remembering a friend...all day.

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »

I sent over $260.00 and I don't even have a job and no unemployment so I challenge (ask politely  :wink:) to those that can, please match or exceed my own gift, the family can use it..

Thank you for any and all donations you may give.. :cheers:

Send what you would spend on coffee or energy drinks for week or two if you can't match the donation of an unemployed throttle jockey!   :-D

As Deb says, if everyone sent $1 it would be nearly $2k!

My donation sent via paypal. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:31:23 PM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:54:32 PM »
Thanks everyone! The very generous donations are coming and I thank you all! Anyone that knows anyone in the bike business knows how little they make all things considered and how most carry revolving debt to make ends meet. Dave was no different. He gave very freely of his time and knowledge and I don't want to see his family now suffer for his generosity in life.

I've been asked so let me add this on, if anyone would prefer to send a check or money order lets handle it like this.

To save in the hassle of the family continually dealing with the bank lets do this,
Send a check or money order to my name, Debbie Dross but please put the Owen Family in the memo.
Send it to:
The Owen Family
c/o Twin Jugs Cycle
22 Enterprise Court, Unit 101
Fredericksburg, VA 22405

I'll get the checks cashed and transferred to them in the best way for them. Most likely
a money order or singular lump check but this will also allow us to send a check directly to a
third party, like the funeral home, if it would make things easier on them.

I will keep a full accounting of all money that changes hands. Most likely I'll keep a
spreadsheet with donors, contact info, donations and notes to make for easy viewing
from the family.

Thank you all. The donations are already rolling in and what can I say, I'm overwhelmed!
Debbie

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:09 PM »
The ECTA Ladies' Auxilary has also offered the following option for mailed donations:

If you would prefer to make your donation by check (and tax deductible), you can make it payable and mail it to the following:

ECTA Ladies' Auxiliary Fund
1081 Dexter Corner Road
Townsend, DE 19734

Make a note on your check, in the subject line, that your donation is for Dave's family and it will be forwarded to them.  As many of you know, we started this organization just after we lost John and saw what a great help the SCTA's Ladies did in helping us with the financial logistics of handling that situation. 

Thanks!
Debbie

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:10 AM »
Done.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:38:01 AM »
Scott H. and Jim H..thank you so much for donating... :cheers:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18:59 AM »
Deb,

Count me as in, however I have to wait until payday as the trip to Bonneville really hurt the checkbook. I will be in touch with a donation soon.

Scott

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:20:29 AM »
Deb,

Count me as in, however I have to wait until payday as the trip to Bonneville really hurt the checkbook. I will be in touch with a donation soon.

Scott

Thanks Scott S.

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »
DONATIONS MADE SIMPLE:

If you’d like to make a paypal payment please send it to:
          owenfamily@dahmurf.com

If you’d like to send a check or money order directly to the Owen family send donations to:
          Taunton Federal Credit Union
          14 Church Green
          Taunton, MA. 02780
          Attn: David Owen Memorial Fund

You can also may a tax deductible donation through the ECTA Ladies’ Auxiliary via check or money order to:
          ECTA Ladies' Auxiliary Fund
          1081 Dexter Corner Road
          Townsend, DE 19734
          Please note on the check or money order that your donation is for Dave Owen’s Family and it will be appropriately forwarded.

If you’d like to donate goods or services please do so in conjunction with the AMA Dragbike Dave Owen Memorial Auction:
          http://www.dragbike.com/dbnews/anmviewer.asp?a=4383&z=13

If you've already sent a donation it will be appropriately handled and placed in the hands of the Owen's family.
Thank you for your continued generosity during this family’s time of need.
Debbie

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:29:59 PM »
Deb,

Scott

Deb,

I sent my donation in a few minutes ago as promised, please check the paypal account. Sorry it took a few days longer than I expected.

For the rest of you that are reading this I am sure Dave's family still needs assistance so don't be shy and send a few more bucks.

Scott

Offline Geo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 11:12:57 PM »
Deb,

Thanks for setting this up.

Scott,

Thanks for the reminder.

All,

If I can send something, you can too  :-)

Geo

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 11:17:55 PM »
Thanks Scott for reminding me. I already have my transaction number recorded.

PAY PAL is so convenient when we have someone like Debbie to make the arrangements.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 12:15:04 AM »
Who is better to support than the family of a fallen racer?

It could be any of us.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 12:25:56 AM by Freud »
Since '63