Author Topic: We just lost Dave Owen. RIP my friend  (Read 32812 times)

landracing

Re: We just lost Dave owens. RIP my friend
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2008, 03:40:36 PM »
Yes this news is very sad to hear. Dave Owen, although I didn't know him really well, the few talks we had were great. He was always willing to share.. I am pleased to say that I knew him and had the pleasure of talking with him... RIP and condolences go out to his family. Very sad year indeed.

JonAmo

Offline RZ350

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
RIP Dave
238 MPH at Bonneville

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 04:58:04 PM »
DaveO's son Josh, will drive his fathers truck back home with trailer.  Lorna (Daves ex) was supposed to fly here to Maxton tomorrow.  Please wait with cards until we can get an address that everyone can use.  I'm told that DaveO will be going home in the next few days after arrangements can be made by his son and ex-wife.

All we can tell you now is that DaveO went thru the traps at 216mph, his head was down as he did.  He never raised his head again and went left after the finish line.  Bike in pieces, Dave went instantly.  Massive injuries.  His bike is in impound with ECTA officials and under accident investigation by the best, Scott Guthrie.

His son Josh asked that we start the meet up again and we went racing as of about 3pm after the ambulance returned.

It was a terrible sight, only a few saw the aftermath and I wish I hadn't.  I will never forget you DaveO.

Here's a little story.

Guy :cry:
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: We just lost Dave Owen. RIP my friend
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »
I am shocked. That is really, really sad news. For his family and of course for his extended family of racers that he helped.

I never met Dave Owens, but had many calls to and from him about his products and services. I remember one time I got a call from him on the salt and he got Jason M. and I together so we could program Jason's EFI computer. He did that just to help, never expecting a dime. And I am sure there are dozens of racers who could tell the same story.

He will be very much missed.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »
Nancy and I received a call from another racer as we drove across North Dakota on our way home.  We've not talked about the incident for the past six or seven hours -- each of us getting our heads to accept this loss.  May you rest in peace, Dave.

To tell you how others respected him -- last week, when I was chatting with Terry Kizer (Mr. Turbo, the guy that builds the motors for Sam Wheeler's E-Z Hook streamliner bike), Terry mentioned some work that he's got underway that could benefit one of our rides.  I told Terry that we were talking with Dave Owen about turning wrenches for us -- and Terry's instant response was that Dave had already worked with Terry's stuff, and Terry tjen said that he wouldn't have any second thoughts about having Dave do the work instead of he himself. That's high regards from someone that makes his living building top-shelf motors -- saying that there's another person that could do it as well as he could.

Oh, Dave, we hardly knew you.  You'll be missed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2008, 09:15:23 PM »
John,

Sorry I couldn't call you back but my phone got dropped on the runway on my way out to the crash site and it was run over by another vehicle behind me.  The display is out and I couldn't look up your number.  It works but no display.  Give Nancy a hug for us.

DaveO was a true racer, friend and fellow lover of 1911's.  He will be truly, truly missed.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
I did not know Dave very well.  I had met him multiple times at Maxton and had the pleasure of speaking with him at length a couple of times.  .  My youngest had the pleasure of meeting him the last time we were at Maxton.  To give you an idea of what type of person he was - My youngest remembered who he was when I mentioned that Dave had passed.  Ethan said he was a fast racer and that he was sad that he passed away, but Dave would have wanted people to keep racing.  I have to tell you that this shook me up a little. Dave had this kind of an impact on a 9 year old after one meeting.

Joel
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 09:39:37 PM »
More sad news this racing season!

I did not meet the man, but obviously he was held in high regard by those who would be best placed to comment.

RIP and prayers for his family and friends.

Larry

Offline osti

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
RIP Dave. :cry:

Glad to have known you. You were one of the greats. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Ryan

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
Dave had this kind of an impact on a 9 year old after one meeting.

Joel

Guys and Gals---a slight look at immortality---when you can influnce someone after you are gone---and they pass their insights on to the next generation---my definitation of immortality--Great job Dave!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
Godspeed, my friend.

I will miss you.

You were the best friend a person could have.

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline rustman

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »
There are a lot of heartbroken people in our little LSR community tonight and otherwise.  Let's never forget Dave and all the selfless things he's done.  At the same time, let's get back on the track and do what he'd be doing.   It's been a long, sad day.

Russ
209.595 mph at the Texas Mile 2005
Boost by the Motorhead

Cuder

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2008, 12:35:19 AM »
Rest in Peace Dave. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 01:07:54 AM »
Unfortunately we are having this discussion again this year.   Looks like the big guy is still interested in LSR.
As was said before, we don't get to choose how and when we leave this world, just how we live in it.  You can only live your life the way you want and do the things you want to do.  Seems Dave lived it, enjoyed it and spread that joy to family and friends. 
Getting it right is not easy Josh, but your dad got it right. 
I only talked with him briefly at speedweek, but I was very interested in the things he was doing with factory brain tuning.  Smart guy, he will be missed by everyone.
God Speed Dave
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 01:54:34 AM »
Unfortunately we are having this discussion again this year.   Looks like the big guy is still interested in LSR.
As was said before, we don't get to choose how and when we leave this world, just how we live in it.  You can only live your life the way you want and do the things you want to do.  Seems Dave lived it, enjoyed it and spread that joy to family and friends. 
Getting it right is not easy Josh, but your dad got it right. 
I only talked with him briefly at speedweek, but I was very interested in the things he was doing with factory brain tuning.  Smart guy, he will be missed by everyone.
God Speed Dave

Bob well said:

Sally Field said something today about the passing of Paul Newman that seems to ring true with Dave Owen as well "God only makes a few perfect people every year and Paul Dave Owen was one of them" 

Many of us are and will continue to have a hard time with the passing of a friend or loved one however we cannot choose the time and place as that is done by a greater power..as Bob (Stainless) said we can only choose how we live our life and spend our time here heartfelt and very emotional condolences to all that knew Dave and especially his wife Lauren, kids Josh and Jake and the many other people that were either close or knew him whose lives Dave has touched in one way or another..

J