Author Topic: NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE HIGH ROLLER MILE SHOOTOUT, Las Vegas, Nevada  (Read 36498 times)

LVMAXX

Re: NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE HIGH ROLLER MILE SHOOTOUT, Las Vegas, Nevada
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:49:37 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2008, 04:00:49 AM »
I am not usre that you wanted a 'how to guide'......

How good the mapping is in the western USA or indeed does Google Maps or similar have satellite images?  For us in the UK there are no 'secret' runways.  Find those that are in a radius of the miles to Bonneville or less from your location.  I drove past a number in the Tonapah region in '98 

Some of these bases are sure to have facilities that are dormant for part of the year and are being held on 'care and maintenance'.  USAF/RAF Fairford is an example - the stealth bombers only come over during time of heoightened world tension. 

If you know which of the bases has runways that are either at or over 2 mile, then the task becomes one of cultivating the base commander.  Get him/her interested and then you can move on to the matter of dealing with those who have to agree to the day or weekend hire.  If anything like the UK this is when you run into the regional or national estates people for whom it could just be 'too much to bother with'.  But keep in the back of your mind that the people and the facilities have been paid for by your tax monies.  All of them work for you.

If you are fortunate there will be a community at the base that interacts with the local non forces community - towns, councils and such like.  Once at a 'local' level there will be a mix of elected officials (someone has voted for them) and permanent offices (paid persons).  In the case of the elected officials they will have to 'earn' their votes in the next popular pole and so they could be keen to demonstrate support for an activity that promotes the town and surrounding area.  Racers have to eat, sleep, and dare I suggest afterwards, drink.  Any LSR event brings in money to a town (exscept perhaps the Bonneville experience where gamblers and golfers with more money may be levered aside).  Get some representatives on your side and meetings start to happen.  People that matter start to get a warm feeling about the proposed event.

It might be easier for us in the UK to organise a single car/team activity - not so many folk to worry those in charge - but LSR has a sound family background which can be demonstrated from reports on this site.  Selling the sport as being non disruptive is the way forward - make it easy for the base by providing staff as well as insurance, that ease their involvement.  Example - If the task is to check all vehicles, have your racers turn up in batches ready for their hoods (bonnets) to be opened and trunks (boots) and enclosed trailers to be searched.  Do not send everyone along at the same time but do not spread out the duration either.  Start samll in numbers and build gradually.

Once you get the feeling you will be allowed on the base select places and again assure thos in command that folk will not wander from set positions - agree these with the base and marshal them yourself.

Of course getting onto the facility is just the start - once you have held an event make sure that you will be allowed back the next time of asking.  Much like working with the BLM, make sure that you leave the site cleaner than when you arrived - get rid of any object that could become/cause FOD.

Final thought at the moment - whilst racers know what they want to do for organising an event some of them will probably have to give up a race weekend to be the organisers.  Do not try to do both jobs (preparing a car and preparing the event). 

When this 'hobby' became expensive, I gave up racing to become an organiser and I think some teams over here in the UK were grateful for that.

Malcolm UK
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

LVMAXX

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:50:05 PM by LVMAXX »

LVMAXX

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:50:39 PM by LVMAXX »

Super Kaz

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
If it had Drag Racers from Vegas then I am sure Kaz made a showing../

Oh wait they don't allow bikes.... :roll:

John

KAZ had to be there in 'Spirit'.

Soooooooooooooooooo......................................

We have now appointed Super KAZ to be the "On The Ground Guy" to give us the result(s) and update(s) on 'THE EVENT'. Nothing shows at the MKM site as to results!

KAZ, 'Where Are You'???????????????????????????????????

MAXX
MAXX2RACING
http://maxx2racing.com/

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Doc,
My Tuner's shop is at the LVMS and he has done a bunch of work on allot of the Silver State Classic car's and will Hopefully let me know whats up? :?I Will Know more in
a few hour's?1 of the Head Flyboy's at Nellis AFB has a TT Corvette thats been getting ready for just such a race.I'll call him in the AM to find out more? :?
Thanks,
Kaz........

KAZ;

We'll hit Vegas sometime early Sunday morning, and will probably drop off the El Camino at Jim's YOW first. We'll contact you before we get to his place. Need to go over the info you have to date, plus any misc??????

Talk to you soon.

Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy
MAXX2RACING
http://maxx2racing.com/
http://maxx2racing.net/

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: (Thanks again Debbie for the 'Great Icons')

SOUNDS GOOD AND HAVE  A SAFE TRIP DOWN HERE 8-)!

LVMAXX

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 07:00:34 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:51:12 PM by LVMAXX »

LVMAXX

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:51:40 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Updates...
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
Anything new?  any news..is this a done deal or is it just done?

J

LVMAXX

Re: Updates...
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:52:14 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57:43 AM »
LVMAXX

I did not know of Mike's announcement to his racers beforehand, nor did I expect him to tell me personally as I had not expected to be in LV myself during '09.

I am uncertain as to the status of the business, but it (MKM) was their main revenue source.  Clearly the analysis for this year for open road racing was not good.  So far better to not hold any events rather than make substantial losses.

The announcement does say that Mike is looking at the LSR option(s) (amongst other motor sports) in '09 so as to plan what can be done by MKM in 2010 or beyond.

Mlacolm UK

LVMAXX

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »

« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:52:49 PM by LVMAXX »

LVMAXX

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:53:22 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »
Thanks for the offer of using a car should the Lovelock/Pershing event get the green light.  I will have to discuss it with Jane before going any further. 

Nothing firm in the arrangements so far, but I am advised by the BLM that I should expect to be in the area in June to meet with them.  Malcolm UK   

LVMAXX

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2009, 11:36:21 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 01:53:51 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 01:16:57 PM »
what u talkin bout? link please
kent