Author Topic: Parachutes:  (Read 5121 times)

McRat

Parachutes:
« on: September 22, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm mounting a parachute that uses a spring loaded launcher and will tether to my trailer hitch.  It will launch at 45 deg into the airstream.

But I have a second parachute that I want to run as a backup, just in case.

Will a parachute on a car/truck deploy if it just drops on the ground, or must it be in the airstream when the bag is opened?  I'd hate to suck it under the truck.  I have zero experience with these, and if it goes under the truck, it might damage stuff.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Parachutes:
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »
How low is your frt, air dam?  I have a chutes that just have spring pilots and one comes out  of my tube in a bag  IF you have a Pilot I would almost guarantee you it will deploy.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 10:51:42 PM »
I'm going to close off the front under the bumper, but alot of air should come in from the sides since I can't run side skirts if I understand the rules correctly.  I suppose I should drive it down the road with strings on it and have somebody film it for me.  I'm thinking if it plops on the track, it would have to follow the ground.

So if it has a pilot chute, it should be OK?  I believe it does, but I didn't open it yet, it's a DJ Safety unit.  The "launched" chute (Stroud) has a semi-pilot that piggybacks on the middle of the canopy.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »
Take your chute out to the length of the tether. Measure the diameter of the chute. Make sure your attachment point is at the line that runs through the center of gravity and it should be pretty close. Everthing we have done (up to 350 mph) has worked pretty good using this idea.

McRat

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:18:52 PM »
Wish I was in New Mexico or West Texas.  Then I could just test it on the street at 80mph.

Probably not go over well testing it on the 91 Fwy in the FasTrak lanes...  :-D

I will test it at the next El Mirage event I go to.  I assume I keep driving with the chute deployed until I'm near the recovery road, then throw the chute in the bed, and repack it in the pits?

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:47:05 AM »
If you cruise through the pits during the race day, you will see lots of folks packing chutes in the pits.
You also want to talk to folks about their cleaning and drying rituals for their chutes!

Some wash them, and other just hang them up and let the wind blow them around a bit to get all the salt, and moisture out of the chute before it is repacked.

Larry

Here is a picture of one team that hangs the canopy up and lets the wind dry it and let the salt fall out as it is moved about by the breeze. Following is another team that drapes the canopy over a chair so it can dry in the sun prior to inspection and repacking.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:06:31 AM by hotrod »

Offline A2WindTunnel

• A2 Wind Tunnel, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:25:35 AM »
This is what I have heard works well…

Add weight (~5lbs) to the drogue chute so that the spring is launching mass instead of relying on the air to catch it.  The inertia of the added mass should pull the chute out much better.

Dave
The answers are blowing in the wind...
www.A2WT.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AERODYN-A2-WIND-TUNNEL/259986785465
@A2WindTunnel #A2WindTunnel

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 03:50:16 PM »
no no no.... if ya do, that 5lb will beat the crap out of the pilot and ejection spring...not a very good sugestion at all....5lbs is a lot of weight... ever pick up a 5lb bag of sugar? dont screw up someones well thought out design just make sure their is enough spring tention on the pilot and she will eject just fine.....how much is enough? well if ya can pack it yourself without help you might want to relook at your system...
kent

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 04:02:21 PM »
Kent is right don't add any weight to it. Danny boy is also right thats how I have been told to do as well . So here a little something that you don't want to do. video taken by landracingvideos.com and posted by a friend of mine. hope you all enjoy  :-D i did :-D

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XUkeEWsznqc
Mike cook jr

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 04:19:46 PM »
Mike,
     Let me guess, the mounting pin for the chute was through the fire sleeve but not the chute bridle? That is how I did the same thing to Russ abut three years ago. Sure glad we have two of the things.
Jim
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline roadster589

• GOD SPEED GARY
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 04:57:24 PM »
Jim

I wish i can say your right, because i have done that to dad in the t bird at muroc and I learned my lesson there  :cry: but the bracket just broke in too. and rip right off the car. and bye bye to both of them :-D

Mike cook jr

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Every year at speed week we have chutes come off cars. It's a common problem with the chute retention pin not going through the loop in most cases. However we have a lot more tear through the loop because they use a 3/8 or 1/2" bolt or quick pin to attach the tow line loop. This diameter is to small and allows the loop to add extra stress to the  loop causing it to tear. Anything smaller then a  1-1/4" spool dia. is to small. Take a look at how much area there is on a bolt vs. a larger dia. spool.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 05:06:28 PM »
Hey Jr. or is it cowboy lol.
Thanks for sharing and the video shows it all.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah