Author Topic: Production and Modified Motorcycle Classes  (Read 2322 times)

Offline tpotts

• New folks
Production and Modified Motorcycle Classes
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »
What is the difference between production and modified motorcycles.  For example would a factory racer with a production of 1000 per year and street legal be in the production class.  Can production engines be modified if displacement and induction remains the same? Is there a  quick web source for this information?  Still confused after all these years. 
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome: Mark Twain

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Production and Modified Motorcycle Classes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:19:22 PM »
At times it depends on venue so it's always good to say which you're referencing.

My understanding is that Factory Racers are put into the Altered category per the SCTA rulebook even if they're factory stock (and street legal?). Also applies to ECTA.

Engine changes are allowed to production engines as long as you can't see it on the outside! It's subject to the usual CC breaks although I'm not clear if you have to stay within the original production CC class.

That's all I know from the top of my head & will undoubtedly be corrected if I'm mistaken!  :-D

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 06:23:33 PM »
I'm waiting for the Mormon Missile to start therun, so in the meantime -- production bikes must run in and be certified by displacement in the class they'd be in under factory displacement.  For instance, our 1352 cc Kawasaki ZX14R runs in the 1351- 1650 cc class.  If we do motor work we can change bore and storke and such -- but the displacement must stay between 1351 -1650.  If we were to reduce displacement to under 1350, for instance -- we could, but the bike would not be allowed to run as a production class bike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »
The best way to put it, and you can certainly go to the SCTA web site and buy a rule book for clarification, is that production is "stock appearing". What you see must pretty much look like the showroom bike. The insides are another story. You can do anything to the engine as long as it doesn't alter the outside appearance. 500 built for retail sale.

Modified is for bikes based on an OEM frame, but pretty much wide open after that.

Special construction is for road racers and custom built frames. Other than CC's and safety almost anything goes. Note the picture to the left.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.