Author Topic: Added Attraction for Speed Trial week.  (Read 8615 times)

Offline 754

Added Attraction for Speed Trial week.
« on: September 21, 2008, 11:11:58 PM »
My first post here. I attended the last 2 speed trials and really had a great time. The event staff and participants are simply the greatest.

I had an idea I thought I would mention, I realize that running this event requires a lot of help and it may be already stretched quite thin.

I was at the night drags in Salt Lake City and there or on the way I had heard that they have run drags in Wendover. So the thought entered my mind that this may go over quite well.. moreso if they can run at night..(I am keeping in mind it may just not work).

There is probably quite a few spectators that are dragracers and there may be a few experienced individuals that may be able to make this happen. I know myself I do not always spend a full day on the salt, and could probably help out (unless I have a bike to race on the salt) I have been around dragstrips quite a bit and have helped out before.

Anyway, I just thought I would post this and see what people think.. I heard they ran at the airbase..

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Added Attraction for Speed Trial week.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 12:07:46 AM »
I am not quite sure as to what you are asking/stating however there is a dragstrip in Wendover...

J

Offline 754

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »
What I meant was to have night drags running same week as the Speed Trials.

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »
Who gets back early enough from the Salt to attend a drag race?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 01:54:23 AM »
Who gets back early enough from the Salt to attend a drag race?

FREUD

Amen Freud,

754, either you are there to watch, Race, Help/support or even more important to volunteer..going to the drags afterwards would be a "drag"

J

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:27 AM »
I agree with John. Why would you want to do that?

DW

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 06:15:11 AM »
TOO MUCH!!!

Pete

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:08:59 AM »
I'm thinking if you have enough energy to go to/put on a drag race each night then you're not doing nearly enough during the day! Feel free to come help our team, we're always understaffed!  :-D

Of course I'm sure that each event would love to have you as a volunteer as well!

Drag racing is what we do when there aren't any LSR meets we can attend!  :evil:

Besides, if you're truly dedicated to LSR then your vehicle won't be set up for the drag strip. There is no such thing as a drag/lsr multi use vehicle. To do it right takes two completely different set ups. At least for what I work with it does.

Sorry to jump on the band wagon & rain on your parade but I have to agree with the rest of the gang.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

McRat

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
DOH!!!  Wrong section!  Sorry.

Offline 754

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »
Sorry for late reply, computer problems.

I am taking your replies to heart. I will explain my thoughts a bit better.

I realize the event already is a lot of work, and my thanks go to those who make it happen.

Last year was first year i attended, I rode out from Kelowna BC, around 900 miles or so. When we got there we were not equipped, I thought I could get a proper hat out there but after 1/2 day in Wendover searching we had to settle for small kids umbrellas.  Anyway, the sun/salt beat us up pretty good.

We did not take our bikes on the salt rather we left at the boatlaunch & hitchiked in ..which was great..we met the nicest people..including Dave Campos & Boris Murray and  a lot of others.

We did have racers there from our town, we helped them out & used their shade.. But not every biker riding to the event, will have this all day long..point being, not everybody lasts the whole day on the salt. (this year they had too much help!)

I do plan on racing a streetbike with sidecar there if I can get ready for next year.

There is a few dragracers out there by the looks of it, from what I could see.. I did not really think of running the salt bikes on the dragstrip, but rather a bit more like the AHMRA bunch bring bikes there & then going to Miller.

The bike I ride is a 73 CB750 Honda.. & next year is the 40th anniversary of that model. I belong to a forum called sohc4,s and have been trying to get a bunch to turn out for Bub next year and hopefully have some racing. If it were possible to have drags as well it would be lovely..(even if only one night)

Hope that explains things a bit..

Question, was the track further from the pits?? seemed harder to watch than last year?

Offline 754

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 11:28:51 AM »
Perhaps, the car guys have more boundless energy... :?

Checkout "Racing to Wells", on Bonneville General chat... :-o

Offline Bville701

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 09:29:36 PM »
I'm a car guy and after a full day at the salt ( Yes we spend the WHOLE day on the salt) we just want to go back to the hotel, take a shower, eat, and go to bed. No energy here.
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:46 AM »
I'm a car guy and after a full day at the salt ( Yes we spend the WHOLE day on the salt) we just want to go back to the hotel, take a shower, eat, and go to bed. No energy here.

How do you convince 'everyone' to shower....with four guys in the room, the last guy for the shower is usually asleep long before it is his turn! :roll:

Mark

more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Rooms are already too hard to get. The last thing we LSR racers need is a reason for more non LSR types to come to Bendover. :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Bville701

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »

How do you convince 'everyone' to shower....with four guys in the room, the last guy for the shower is usually asleep long before it is his turn! :roll:

Mark

This is true Mark. I usually go last, because I fall asleep last. Or we just get up earlier and shower in the morning.   :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member