Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505097 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #990 on: October 23, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
I have used Soluable Oil in the past. Lubes the water pump and keeps the water jacket nice and new looking. If it spills I know the cats won't kill themselves drinking it. We use it at work and it never catches fire. Lot of sparks around the grinders. But the oil by itself will burn. Is it legal? Anybody here know?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #991 on: October 23, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
I have used Soluable Oil in the past. Lubes the water pump and keeps the water jacket nice and new looking. If it spills I know the cats won't kill themselves drinking it. We use it at work and it never catches fire. Lot of sparks around the grinders. But the oil by itself will burn. Is it legal? Anybody here know?

Rich, until a couple of weeks ago I would have bet antifreeze wouldn't burn when mixed 50/50, I wouldn't count on anything at this point without asking the scta tech line...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jl222

« Reply #992 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:59 PM »

I was wondering the same thing because we use soluable oil also.

JL222

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #993 on: October 23, 2008, 11:58:28 PM »

Urgent rule change: Effective immediately, the use of any flammable engine coolant in competition Cars or Motorcycles is prohibited.

I don't know the definitive answer. An SCTA board member said water + Water Wetter would be the only thing allowed. Soluble oil may not catch fire puddled on the ground with sparks, but in an engine when released at high temperature and high pressure and vaporized is another story.

The form that the chemical takes makes a big difference. Aluminum doesn't burn? Turn it into a powder and it does.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Wester

« Reply #994 on: October 24, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »
While you're talking about the shootout, here's a request from Mike Nish for your help.  Scroll down on the page to find their video.

Nish Motorsports has entered the Bell Racing Video Contest.
It has been Great Exposure for our Sponsors.
We would like your help by Voting in the Contest.
See:  Nish Motorsports - 425 MPH Dream DVD Preview
To Vote:  Go to: Rate this Video:  there are 5 stars.
Use your mouse curser to highlight all 5 stars.  It will say 5 of 5. Click the 5th Star.
There are two segments to the Contest.
Voting to determine the top 10 Videos in this Segment ends October 31st, 2008.
Please forward this link and information to anyone that may be interested.

http://www.bellracing.com/public/index/contest/video/<http://www.bellracing.c
om/public/index/contest/video/>

The second segment of the contest: to determine the winning order will be
November 10th thru the 14th 2008.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Mike Nish

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #995 on: October 24, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
Regarding the Leo Hess crash. From a very reliable source that was at the meet. The handlebar bracket that folds up so that the rider can exit the liner was the problem. It broke loose in the crash but was still connected to the liner with the cables, it came back into the cockpit and did the damage to Leo's legs.

dwarner

« Reply #996 on: October 24, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Rich,

Flammability is not the only issue. Remember that the BLM allows only water to be dumped on the ground. Soluble oil would be in violation of this.

DW

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #997 on: October 24, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
So, DW, I'm guessing the coolant procedure would be a little like running Nitro.  During the off times you store your car (assuming, of course that you're not pulling the engine) with a 50/50 mixture in it to keep it from rusting.  A day or two before any meet you would drain the 50/50 mixture and replace it with straight water, of course reversing the process when you return home from the meet.

Does this sound about right?

BTW, I certainly hope the sale of Budweiser to the Belgians hasn't impacted the "spirit" of your retirement too harshly.

J and the Cat

P.S. BTW#2 I like the way our "stacked" avatars highlight the front and back of the Bomber/Bearcat
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:20:39 PM by fastesthonda_jim »
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #998 on: October 24, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »
Be aware that using distilled water without Redline Water Wetter, or with other brand water additives, can cause problems with aluminum radiators, heat exchangers and blocks. 

I had a severe build up of pressure, as have others, when I just used straight distilled water.

It turns out hte distilled water has no minerals, etc in it and tries to draw it out of the aluminum..Preesure builds up enough to cause even the tightest systems to leak, resulting in blown hoses, etc.

I have no experience with cars, but can state with certainty and first hand experience that in turbo Hayabusas this is a legitimate concern.  I only use tap water now with Redline Water Wetter, and with a very expensive engine and turbo system at risk, have not had a problem with corrosion or pressure buildup.

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #999 on: October 24, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »
When I get back to the shop from a race I clean up the car and drain the water from the engine, water tank and Rad. I can see no good reason to leave the water in it. I have a well on my property that pumps water that is so pure it test like rain water and that is what I use and have never had rust problems.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #1000 on: October 24, 2008, 06:28:28 PM »
I just wanted to be the 1000th post on this thread.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #1001 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:56 PM »
Thanks, JH.  We just got back from supper (Mexican place here in Laurinburg has good food but nowhere near the "atmosphere" of the Salt Flats Cafe) and when I saw that the topic was at 1k posts I smiled.  Thanks for helping the topic be so long-lived-- and thanks to all that paid attention to the Top Speedc Shootout reports.  We have been having a great time with the subject -- look forward to the next one, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: October 25, 2008, 12:48:53 AM »
The reason you should use distilled water is because it has no minerals---therefore can't ceramic your heads---I use distilled water with corrosion block...but I put it in advance and give it time to treatment burp it just like a water mattress. It amazes me how much entrapped air there is in the watter..---the less air you have the less chance you have for STEAM POCKETS!!!!!!!! which can not transfer heat resulting in hot spots..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:25:05 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

saltfever

« Reply #1003 on: October 25, 2008, 05:10:06 AM »
I have a well on my property that pumps water that is so pure it test like rain water and that is what I use and have never had rust problems.
I would ask you to bottle some of it if I could be sure it wasn't from a big ditch!  :-D

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #1004 on: May 01, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
hope that leo and lynn are doing better.

osu colors are scarlet and gray.

i can't say enough good things about delvene and crew -- 9 hrs. on the phone in '06; 5 hrs in up to mid '07; about  5 hrs. w/ cooper in '07 ; 1&1/2 w/ drew gatewood this year. always prompt , always courteous w/ anything i had to ask or say. it's a young event like someone said. hell, i'm still making mistakes & bad decisions & learning to do things the right way in life.

thanks again to all who have helped me and a big thank you to diane for putting up w/ me, the bike and 'in the garage'  and for liking us going to the salt! 

congrats to the new record holders.

franey

i know this is dated, but, there are others who should have been mentioned
in the thank you list of people who have  helped me in one way or another ---

bob bennett , eric bennett, dan dunn , aaron wilson, santa tom anderson, mike taylor, hans luenger.

todd dross, todd brooks, joe timney, scott guthrie.

sorry if anyone was missed this time around.

franey

more current - how are leo and lynn doing now ?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007