Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505093 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #975 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:49 AM »
Also the tail section is different for this year.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #976 on: October 01, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #977 on: October 02, 2008, 11:31:44 AM »
the #411 sounded great.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #978 on: October 02, 2008, 11:58:19 AM »
At SW '06 I was between the 4 & 5 mi when the 411 made a 400+ run, it was the most impressive thing I have ever experienced. I say experienced because that's what it was, an experience. The sight, sound, and feel of it was incredible.  Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #979 on: October 02, 2008, 12:13:55 PM »
Okay!  We're darned near 1,000 comments and over 23,000 page views on this topic.  Way to go -- we're now called a "heavy hitter" by our website hosting company.  Thanks to one and all for your interest.

Bad News!  Now that we're called a "heavy hitter" by our website hosting company -- our bill for the hosting has been bumped to accommodate the extra traffic and server space and so on.  Until last month the bill was $40/month.  As of today, when I paid the September bill, it's $100/month.  Ah, the hassles of having a successful site.  And you folks are responsbile for this fine turn of events.

Please don't see what I've said as whining -- I'm tickled pink that there was so much traffic during the Top Speed Shootout and that so many of you sent donations and ordered t-shirts and bumper stickers*.  I guess what I'll need to ask you all to do now -- is keep it up.  Justify us having a bigger set of equipment and internet wires - by keeping as active as you can be.  Yeah, maybe the problem was exacerbated by all of the photos that I (and others, like you, Ray) posted -- maybe if I had the gallery up and running lots of the stuff would have gone there and we wouldn't be in the position we're in.  But that's water under the table (or however that phrase goes), so let's just keep going with lots of talk, lots of photos, and lots of donations to keep it all running smoothly.

*About those donations -- I've gotta ask again.  If you pre-ordered shirts -- we've got 'em set aside but don't have the mailing addresses for them.  I posted a list of those that were unaccounted for (yesterday) -- and if your name is on it, send me a note (jonwennerberg@nancyandjon.org) so I can ship them.  If you sent money by Paypal and are expecting a shirt and/or stickers -- and haven't got them yet -- well, hey -- our excuse today is that with all of the traveling and our somewhat-lame bookkeeping/note-taking -- we're confused as to whom gets what and who already has got his swag.  Bear with us, send me a note about what you are expecting, and we'll straighten it out.

We're leaving here tomorrow at noon to fly to SLC for WF, and will have the laptop with us to stay in touch.  We'll try to keep better notes as to who and what is/was ordered, too, I promise (so does Nancy, cross her heart with tattoos and hope to get it right).  And we're going to take a few landracing.com shirts with us to WF so we can a: deliver the shirt to Stainless, and b: sell a few, too.  Since we're flying we won't have a huge inventory -- but we'll try, and hope you'll make our return to Marquette easier by buying everything we've got with us out there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #980 on: October 02, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »
Someone should suggest to Tom that he drives that thing slower so it would be easier to watch it go by in the video.

:-D
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #981 on: October 02, 2008, 12:39:55 PM »
JH, I tell you what:  You tell Tom that he should go slower, I'll run the video camera to record his reaction to your suggestion.  That oughta make a good YouTube video in itself.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rocky R

• Author/Land Speed Racing Site
« Reply #982 on: October 18, 2008, 12:49:32 PM »
So many family and friends have asked about the meet where we got the record. I've copied and pasted this thread till its probably worn out. At one point we lost the front engine (broken mainshaft) and I coasted to a stop. Howard Carte (from the Bub team) called me when I returned to the pit and asked what went wrong. "Where are you at?" I asked him. I thought he was on the salt watching from maybe the measured mile.

"I just read it on the internet,"

We hadn't even unloaded the bike off the trailer in the pits when he read it and was on the phone to me. At that point we had no idea what the problem was. I asked Howard since they got their information so fast, as soon as they diagnosed the problem maybe they could call us and tell us what was wrong... Great job Jon and Rat  :cheers:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #983 on: October 22, 2008, 09:56:48 AM »
I heard through the grapevine that Lynn Goodfellow is getting out of the SLC hospital on Monday.

Still looking at more hospital visits and a long recovery. I heard he is still planning on getting back in the car.

Good luck to him.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #984 on: October 22, 2008, 10:54:19 AM »
Oh, man!  This is good news.  While I realize that Lynn still has a lot in front of him, I'm glad to hear that he's recovered enough to leave the hospital for the moment.  Getting back in that race car will probably do him more good than anything else.  I hope to see him and the team next August.

I've been going over the photos I shot before, during and after the run that ended up in flames and I'll be posting them to my web server soon.  What I've found has left me with more questions than answers as to the root cause of the fire and Lynn's burns.  I know the basics of what happened, but there are more and deeper questions that trouble me.  I'll probably post more on this as I progress with the website work...which, btw, I'm trying to develop as a photo/text journal that conveys what I saw through the lens(es) of my camera and experienced by being there.  I hope I can pull it off and create something that communicates these things effectively.

RtR

ps.  If anyone has any further knowledge about the investigation of the fire and any findings, would you please contact me?  If there are things that aren't ready to be disclosed at this time, I'll respect that fully, but I'd still like to know about some of the circumstances and conclusions.  I have my own theories, but I don't want to make any rash statements at this time.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #985 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:12 PM »
Many of the photos I shot at the Shootout (good a place as any to shoot, I spose) are now on my server.  It's a work in progress.  I get a little more done every day (and sometimes every hour.)

I've only added a little bit of narration to the photos.  This is a real time consuming process...and I have to think while writing and like one of the 3 Stooges said, "I tried thinking once and nothing happened."  I'm having some serious brain cramps.  I spose I otta exercise it more often.

Anyway, here's the entry point:
http://chevyasylum.com/bsf2008/shootout/Welcome.html

Some things I'd appreciate feedback on:

Any problems (other than those on ComCast or Cox who can't get to my server) such as dead links, photos in the wrong place, errors in the text, etc.

Information: Names of people in the photos.  I'll need this to create an accurate photo/text journal.  With my memory issues, I need all the help I can get.  But just to clarify a bit, I know some of the "major players" (Tom Burkland as well as Betty and Gene, Mike Akatiff, Rocky Robinson, Ron Main and George Poteet and a coupla others like Mike Cook and Jon Wenner-Slim.)  One thing I DON'T know are the names of the FIM Rep and the SCTA inspectors and I have no idea who was representing the FIA. 

Any other info that ya think might be useful.  There are a coupla areas I'm unsure about heading into.  For example, I have my theory on the fire in the Mormon Missile and the burns that Lynn Goodfellow suffered.  But I'm not quite sure how much of this I should be posting in a public forum.  If anyone has input on this, I'd appreciate hearing/reading it.  My email address is on my profile, so anyone can email me directly or send me a PM.  Whatever works.

Another thing I'm sorta foggy about is Leo Hess's crash.  Again, I have a theory, but I won't write anything about it until I have a bit more information. 

So I'd be grateful for any feedback I can get on this, since my plan is to add quite a bit of narration to the photos.

Thanks, in advance,

RtR

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #986 on: October 23, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
Does anyone know of any video from this meet that is available? It looked like from several photos that there were video cameras shooting some of the goings ons at the meet and I'd love to see the footage!!!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #987 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »
I watched video of the Speed Demon at the Sidewinders meeting the other night. I don't know what the plan is for distribution. It was a short clip from 70 hours of video. And oh yes, was it cool. The speed shots were great.

FYI, $10,000 of parts were Fedexed to the salt to fix the fire damage.

We have no problem discussing the Speed Demon fire because nobody got hurt. George Poteet didn't know he was on fire. The EGT sensor blew out from the extreme heat in the headers from the high boost. George noticed the loss of power and heard a poof. That was the automatic fire system going off. It has 15 seconds of discharge. Since George didn't know it was on fire and only down on power a little, he kept going and the fire took off when the fire system was empty.

As far as discussing the other accidents, I guess we have a reluctance to intrude on the privacy of the participants. I think that discussing things is how we find solutions. It's possible that your vehicle might have the same problem.

I heard third hand, but from a reliable source, that Leo's injuries were because his legs got outside the frame. I know that several streamliners have leg restraints as well as some form of netting to keep the legs inside. Leg restraints seem to be the safe bet.
I would like to hear from the streamliner drivers and builders on their thoughts.

The cause of Lynn Goodfellows injuries have been discussed. The coolant was indeed the source of the fire. The reaction was swift and water only is now the rule with Water Wetter or something like it.

Sealing issues between the firewall and the drivers compartment and canopy sealing issues allowed the fire to penetrate the drivers compartment.

When you consider the long amount of time it takes to stop from high speed and the additional time it takes for the fire crew to get there, you may want to look long and hard at every possible way for fire to get in the drivers compartment on your vehicle.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #988 on: October 23, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »
Dean,

From the SCTA-BNI.ORG website "Urgent rule change: Effective immediately, the use of any flammable engine coolant in competition Cars or Motorcycles is prohibited".

Most likely that means for sure no Propylene Glycol.  I don't believe it means water only.  But I don't know.  Most (I believe) antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol.  Is that flammable also?  Are you sure of your answer? 

Two months ago if I had asked if Propylene Glycol was flammable all would have said "No way".  So, I ask the question now of Ethylene Glycol.  Is it flammable, i.e., will it be allowed at SCTA/BNI events?

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

McRat

« Reply #989 on: October 23, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »
Ethylene Glycol is combustible too.  Water or Water+WaterWetter is the word.