Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505166 times)

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #960 on: September 30, 2008, 12:48:55 PM »
Quoting from the AMA Pro Racing site at AMAFlatTrack.com:

AMA Congratulates Rocky Robinson and the Top 1 ACK Attack Team for New Motorcycle Land-speed Record

September 30, 2008

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is pleased to congratulate rider Rocky Robinson, builder/owner Mike Akatiff and the rest of the Top 1 ACK Attack team on setting a new absolute FIM (Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme) motorcycle land-speed record at the Bonneville Salt Flats on Sept. 26.

Set at a private meet that featured both four- and two-wheeled competitors and representatives from both the FIM and the FIA (Federation Internationale de l'Automobile), Robinson made two passes with an average speed of 360.913 mph through the measured kilometer in the center of a 12-mile course. The previous record two-way average of 350.884 mph was set by rider Chris Carr and builder/owner Denis Manning at the BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials, also held at the Bonneville Salt Flats, in 2006.

The achievement will become an official world record pending FIM ratification.

"There are many types of motorcycle competition, from trials to road-racing, but one achievement that riders of all stripes can appreciate is the absolute land-speed record," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "Since the first two-wheeled vehicle rolled under its own power, riders have been searching for ways to make their motorcycles go faster. Thanks to Rocky, Mike and the Top 1 ACK Attack team, those at the frontier of this exciting area of competition now have a new threshold to surpass."

The Top 1 ACK Attack team previously held the motorcycle land-speed record for two days in 2006 before Carr and Manning overtook them during the same meet.

Source: http://www.amaflattrack.com/article.php?UID=Eg1SVUKJhLojiubhtEI38TytE4K8K3&sc=1074&aid=12462

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #961 on: September 30, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »
...or even Pork Pie trying to blow his brains out with a deadly finger as in the attached photo.  

RtR

just bringing the ear plugs in the right postion......or may be this which is between :-D

Ahhh....attitude adjustment.  I understand now.  You couldn't possibly be looking at the young lady in the photo, could you?  :)

RtR

I think you cut the one away....to which I start to correct my focus......with a so friend you need no enemies.... :-D
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #962 on: September 30, 2008, 02:30:27 PM »
There's a new article on MotorcycleUSA.com, courtesy of Brandware PR, at
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=7144

More on the Ack Attack 360 MPH Record

Charles Hennekam, the official on-site FIM observer, said: "We are thrilled about this incredible new world record, set just two years after the current milestone was set - that's an historic achievement indeed. On behalf of FIM, I congratulate Mike, Rocky and the team on success, along with all the other world record breaking teams this week. Land speed racing requires enormous resources and technical sophistication, passion and above all perseverance. Given the dedication of land speed racing professionals, we expect to see even more competitors return to Bonneville in 2009 to challenge ACK Attack's title."

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #963 on: September 30, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
Update on Leo Hess.  I called in a favor and got some info on his medical condition.  I'm going to state it in rather generalized terms for some reasons that otta be obvious.

Leo experienced some fairly serious injuries to his lower extremities (legs and feet) and has had some surgical procedures done.  He will need more in the future.  His condition is listed as stable, but that's a very broad area.  He IS at the hospital I listed earlier (Intermountain Medical Center...which is run by the company I used to work for...and that's how I called in the favor.)

Bottom line: he's not going to be walking for a while, and it's probably gonna involve a lot more pain for him.  My heart and prayers go outto him and his family.

I hope this helps clarify things a bit...I believe others' prayers would help him and his family to cope with this.

I still haven't heard what caused the crash.  If anyone can clarify that (on the forum, PM or email) I'd be grateful to hear it.  Not from a morbid standpoint but as something to consider with regard to rider/driver safety.

Ray (feeling a little somber about this.)

Offline landracingfan

• New folks
« Reply #964 on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the support and kind words regarding Leo's condition. For daily updates on Leo's condition please visit

www.fullblastengineering.com

Thank you

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #965 on: September 30, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
Thank you for the update info on Leo's condition.  I'll be following it closely with good thoughts and prayers for his speedy and full recovery.

RtR

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #966 on: September 30, 2008, 04:52:18 PM »
Thanks for the update. Please everyone send a note as this has a big effect on the healing process. He knows we all support him but your words are important. It helps ease the pain to know we all care.God Speed for a full and fast recovery Leo. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #967 on: September 30, 2008, 06:49:59 PM »
Glen, you are absolutely right. The blizzard of cards he will get now are going to be lost in a haze of pain medication. Don't forget to write in a few weeks too. And in a few months. Having something to read at least gives you a moment from the pain and boredom.

Best of luck on the recovery Leo.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Scooter

« Reply #968 on: September 30, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »
Congrats ROCKY and the whole ACK team. This is Rocky during the BUB trials.

Scooter
www.scootershoots.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #969 on: September 30, 2008, 09:03:02 PM »
Absolutely excellent photo, Scooter.  I love it.

RtR

Offline Scooter

« Reply #970 on: September 30, 2008, 11:04:55 PM »
Thanks Ray. That was his 285 pass on Sat at the BUB trial. I sure would like to have been there for the big one.
Scooter
www.scootershoots.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #971 on: September 30, 2008, 11:50:59 PM »
They must of put fresh paint on the Ack.
THat is one more yellow stripe then they had for the top speed event.

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #972 on: October 01, 2008, 12:06:46 AM »
Are ya sure, man?  This is one I shot at the Shootout:

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #973 on: October 01, 2008, 01:45:24 AM »

Here are two pictures of Rocky, before and after today's record run

Page 54 of this thread.

Diffrent paint.

hummmmmm
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #974 on: October 01, 2008, 01:58:19 AM »

Here are two pictures of Rocky, before and after today's record run

Page 54 of this thread.

Diffrent paint.

hummmmmm

This picture is from a previous year..trust me..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:34:10 AM by John Noonan »