Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505102 times)

Offline Wester

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #945 on: September 29, 2008, 12:07:32 PM »
Anyone have an address of the hospital Leo is in? I spoke to one of his crew members Friday night and he indicated Leo would be there 3 weeks to a month. I'd like to send him a card and think others would like to also.

Lynn Goodfellow is at the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake.  They had no record of Leo Hess when I was asking about both of them yesterday.  The person I spoke with wouldn't confirm that Leo had even been there citing HIPA regulations.  He may have been released to go home with the pin in his ankle if the other injuries aren't critical.  Apparently they don't require a patient to stay in the hospital if continuing care is not needed.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #946 on: September 29, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
Chris:

Yes, we've got landracing.com stickers.  No, they're not exactly like the one on the Ack bike.  We're selling them for $2 each or 3 for $5, plus about two bucks for postage ($1.38 is first class rate) and shipping (envelope that's firm enough to not warp 'em is 97 cents plus tax at Wal-Mart.  We're still shopping for a more efficient way to mail -- but for now -- that's what it costs.  Someplace in this computer I've got the artwork and could send you an exact copy -- but it goes something like:

I visit and support
WWW.LANDRACING.COM
the fastest website on the planet

Centered, of course, and about 11" long and 3 1/2" tall.  Blue backing with white print.

Now the deal:  I'll send you one or two if you send me a donation of at least $20.  I've been doing this for the donations that came in recently, too.  I need a mailing address as well as your donation.  If you want to make it easy -- go to the Paypal button on the lower left corner of the home page and donate that way, and I think there's even room for you to put your address in the contribution form.

Thanks.  Now that I've got your attention (I'm speaking to everyone here) -- we've also got a batch of "old" ('07 and before) Salt Talks t-shirts to use up.  Most years, many sizes -- but probably not every one you might want, so think of it as a way for you to donate and get something back for your kindness.  $10/shirt, plus about 5 bucks for S & H.  Multiple shirt orders will be $10/shirt plus $5 TOTAL, or, for instance, three shirts will be $35.  Send an address, as above.

Thanks to all that have already donated.  Thanks in advance to all that will do so in the near future, and especially to those who'll help us reduce the "inventory" of shirts that are in our storage room.

Final note -- I'll try to figure out how to put a store back on the site.  I expect that there are a number of things that you folks might want -- that I could find, sell, and use the proceeds to help pay for this site.

Deep Enough!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #947 on: September 29, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »
 :-o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:23:57 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #948 on: September 29, 2008, 02:03:44 PM »
Anyone have an address of the hospital Leo is in? I spoke to one of his crew members Friday night and he indicated Leo would be there 3 weeks to a month. I'd like to send him a card and think others would like to also.

Leo is at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, UT on the 11th floor.

http://intermountainhealthcare.org/xp/public/imed/

Phone number there is 801-507-7000

I tried to circumvent the gatekeepers and the HIPPA bs by claiming to be his cousin.  (A friend did that when I was in the hospital after a heart attack...but it was before HIPPA started biting people on the ass.)  I ws told that they have disconnected the phone in the room; all calls are being routed through his wife's cell phone and no information about his condition is to be given out except to family members.  

So I guess that means I otta keep my day job of photographer and not go into a new career as private investigator, right?  :)

But we know where he is and the hospital's address is on the web page.

I done my best.

RtR

dwarner

« Reply #949 on: September 29, 2008, 02:08:33 PM »
Pork Pie,

I was not involved with the Jim True FIA attempt from either the FIA or SCTA.

DW

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #950 on: September 29, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »
 :-o
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 01:24:21 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Xea

« Reply #951 on: September 29, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
Thanx RTR for Leo's info, wonderful reporting job by the way....... Had me on the edge of my seat! :-o
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #952 on: September 29, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
SSS,
I used to have a friend that bought the old Paradise Hot Springs property - he would get letters from his daughter addressed:
Daddy
Paradise

Either I am senile (a given), or can't read . . .

I'll just send my donation to:

SSS and the Lovely Nancy
Way up North

OK?  I'll need some large (because I am now prosperous) t-shirts and maybe some stickies.

David in Durango
Champion Chinese Buffet Participant, 2006?

Chris:

Yes, we've got landracing.com stickers.  No, they're not exactly like the one on the Ack bike.  We're selling them for $2 each or 3 for $5, plus about two bucks for postage ($1.38 is first class rate) and shipping (envelope that's firm enough to not warp 'em is 97 cents plus tax at Wal-Mart.  We're still shopping for a more efficient way to mail -- but for now -- that's what it costs.  Someplace in this computer I've got the artwork and could send you an exact copy -- but it goes something like:

I visit and support
WWW.LANDRACING.COM
the fastest website on the planet

Centered, of course, and about 11" long and 3 1/2" tall.  Blue backing with white print.

Now the deal:  I'll send you one or two if you send me a donation of at least $20.  I've been doing this for the donations that came in recently, too.  I need a mailing address as well as your donation.  If you want to make it easy -- go to the Paypal button on the lower left corner of the home page and donate that way, and I think there's even room for you to put your address in the contribution form.

Thanks.  Now that I've got your attention (I'm speaking to everyone here) -- we've also got a batch of "old" ('07 and before) Salt Talks t-shirts to use up.  Most years, many sizes -- but probably not every one you might want, so think of it as a way for you to donate and get something back for your kindness.  $10/shirt, plus about 5 bucks for S & H.  Multiple shirt orders will be $10/shirt plus $5 TOTAL, or, for instance, three shirts will be $35.  Send an address, as above.

Thanks to all that have already donated.  Thanks in advance to all that will do so in the near future, and especially to those who'll help us reduce the "inventory" of shirts that are in our storage room.

Final note -- I'll try to figure out how to put a store back on the site.  I expect that there are a number of things that you folks might want -- that I could find, sell, and use the proceeds to help pay for this site.

Deep Enough!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #953 on: September 29, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
You're very welcom, Xea.  I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the play-by-play.  It was a team effort (well, 'til Jon and Nancy ran outta clean undies and had to go home to change their dainties  :-D)  This was my first shot at something like this.  I really didn't know what to expect or do...it was sorta like, "this is a test.  If this had been a real alert you would have been instructed to spread yer legs, bend over and kiss yer butt goodbye"...or something like that.

Seriously, I just tried to follow Jon's excellent format and bring "all the news that's fit to print."  Hmmm....well...more or less.

Right now, I'm trying to edit photos from WoS.  I have an idea of how I wanna present it (a little differently than I've done in the past) and I'd like to get some feedback...and as long as I'm typing this, I might as well add the request for feedback, huh?

So.  Usually I just group the shots by day and sequence number.  This time, I thought I'd make a section for what I think are eye-catching shots for the whole WoS meet, then add another section for "sequences."  For example, I shot one sequence of photos of Ye Olde Dragon approaching the start line, then getting the go-ahead from Monte, and blowing huge clouds of diesel smoke down the course.  At the moment there are 13 photos in this sequence.  

The idea behind the separation is to present a quick overview without having a lot of repetition, but add those sequences that tie things together...like a launch or a drivier getting strapped into a car...or even Pork Pie trying to blow his brains out with a deadly finger as in the attached photo.  

Any ideas, opinions, suggestions?  I'm trying to do this to keep my site from having a boring series of photos (it may already qualify for that)...or just to make it a little more interesting.

A anxiously await any feedback, either here or PM or email

Thanks,

RtR

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #954 on: September 29, 2008, 03:22:49 PM »
Ha ha!  Wonder what he's thinking??  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #955 on: September 29, 2008, 03:27:31 PM »
Ray, no complaints here, a great job of reporting and selection of photos. Be careful, Jon w. will add you to the porta crapper duty as well, :-D :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #956 on: September 29, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
...or even Pork Pie trying to blow his brains out with a deadly finger as in the attached photo.  

RtR

just bringing the ear plugs in the right postion......or may be this which is between :-D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 04:42:45 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #957 on: September 29, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
hope that leo and lynn are doing better.

osu colors are scarlet and gray.

i can't say enough good things about delvene and crew -- 9 hrs. on the phone in '06; 5 hrs in up to mid '07; about  5 hrs. w/ cooper in '07 ; 1&1/2 w/ drew gatewood this year. always prompt , always courteous w/ anything i had to ask or say. it's a young event like someone said. hell, i'm still making mistakes & bad decisions & learning to do things the right way in life.

thanks again to all who have helped me and a big thank you to diane for putting up w/ me, the bike and 'in the garage'  and for liking us going to the salt! 

congrats to the new record holders.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #958 on: September 29, 2008, 09:17:17 PM »
...or even Pork Pie trying to blow his brains out with a deadly finger as in the attached photo.  

RtR

just bringing the ear plugs in the right postion......or may be this which is between :-D

Ahhh....attitude adjustment.  I understand now.  You couldn't possibly be looking at the young lady in the photo, could you?  :)

RtR

Offline Jarlo

• New folks
« Reply #959 on: September 29, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »

RtR

Ahhh....attitude adjustment.  I understand now.  You couldn't possibly be looking at the young lady in the photo, could you?  :)

RtR

Pork Pie:
I've been to Germany; they have those soft, rounded, things there  also. :-o Especially around Munchen during Octoberfest. Don't try to tell us you're looking at something really unique to Utah.

However, in my opinion, being a tall person, I thought the best looking ladies were around the Hamburg area. Lots of Nordic influence and transparent blouses. My wife at the time was highly upset that I wasn't paying as much attention to her as I should.
Regards,  Hope to see you in about a week.