Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505092 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #915 on: September 27, 2008, 10:46:02 AM »

You got that right.  Did these golfers use tees?  Running over something like that at a high speed could cause a catasrophe of epic proportions. 

Max

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
« Reply #916 on: September 27, 2008, 11:24:07 AM »
I, too, would like to offer my sincere thanks to everybody who reported on this event. We all owe you a huge debt of gratitude.
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #917 on: September 27, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
 :roll:
As a racer, I'll have to tell you I'm having withdrawal pains at seeing the end of this great thread.  

Does anyone know if Leo Hess has given his assessment as to why his liner went down?
How did his accident happen?  What speed was he going?  I have a pin on my streamliner that drops through leg restraints at the point of my riders ankles.  When the rider exits and the handlebars come up this pin is mechanically lifted for quick exit.  Does Leo's machine or any of the other liners have this safety feature?  

Max

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #918 on: September 27, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
haven't had time to read the last 16 pgs. of mainframe downloads yet.if its been brought up already, sorry. but-were all those golfballs accounted for ? or will someone " find " one in the wrong place ? or at wot?  keep your your hobby where it belongs. i don't run my bike down your fairway.

franey

Although I'm not one to go around checking on people's balls, I believe there was only one of them; no tees used and a guy at "the other end" of the chip shot to retrieve the ball.  The likelihood of their amusement causing any safety issues is very, very small.

RtR

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #919 on: September 27, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »
Great job reporting RtR, Jon & Nancy and great pics by all. Thanks to Mike Cook, Top1 Oil for putting on a great event. Congreatulations to The Burklands, Poteet & Main, the Ack Attack gang, Mormon Missle, OSU for your new records. The rest of the competetors tried hard and I'm sure they will "get er done" another time, good luck. Wishing a speedy recovery to the guys who got hurt, hope to see you back on the Salt next year.
Now I guess I will have to do some work at work. :-D

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

McRat

« Reply #920 on: September 27, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »
Yup, thanks out to Mike Cook, his crew, all the racers and their crew, the sponsors, Slim and Ray, and the members of this board for making this the closest thing to "being there" ever at a racing event I've seen.  Would have made a good mini-series. 

To Lynn and Leo, get well soon.  We are pulling for you.

Offline kgmm

• New folks
« Reply #921 on: September 27, 2008, 01:19:20 PM »
Hello from the Mormon Missile team,
I've never done this forum thing before, so I hope I'm doing it right.  We have really appreciated all of the comments, so I'm writing to let you know of Lynn's condition:

I just spoke with dad on the phone, and I’ thought I’d send and email out and let you know that he’s doing very well.  His improvement since Thursday has been dramatic.  He’s still in the hospital, and will most likely need some skin grafts on his hands, but he’s up and about, his swelling has gone down considerably, he’s taking on nourishment, has showered, etc.  Everyone who has visited him says that he’s 100% better than when I was there on Thursday night. He’s off the morphine and able to think clearer now, and all he wanted to talk to me about was how he wants to improve the car!  I’m sure this is no surprise to most of you.  Anyway, he sends his love and deep gratitude to everyone for your support, prayers, and visits.

Back here at home, we've already cleaned up the 'missile and have started to take it all apart for rebuilding.  The damage to the engine compartment was very minimal, same with the body work.  We've got some work to to with the wiring and the cockpit plumbing. 

Thanks,

Kurt Goodfellow

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #922 on: September 27, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
Kurt
Thanks for the up date. we are all pulling for him and Leo as well. Looking forward to seeing him back. :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Trib reporter

• New folks
« Reply #923 on: September 27, 2008, 01:38:03 PM »
Here's my article today. Please note it's "dumbed down" for non-land speed racing folks.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080927/NEWS01/809270301&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Hope I did well for my first LSR article.

-Ryan Hall
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 02:05:44 PM by Trib reporter »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #924 on: September 27, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
Ryan...I think this might help.  :)

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200809261400/NEWS01/80926018

RtR
(furiously cleaning the Burb, washing undies, etc.)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #925 on: September 27, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »
Ryan, good article, the Montanans have always been at the forefront of LSR.
RtR, great pictures of the events.  Thanks for keeping us from wearing out our chairs, the edge of mine is showing wear but the back has been untouched for a week....
Congratulations to all, winners and attempters, for a great event.
Lynn and Leo, here's hoping for a speedy recovery for both.
And Jon thanks for developing and Jon and Nancy for continuing the greatest website for gearheads in the world. 

One meet left, see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #926 on: September 27, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #927 on: September 27, 2008, 05:06:39 PM »
Ryan, You Guys kick the Gazette's ass quite regularly. This is another example. Keep it up. Doug, Saltcat Racing, Columbus Mt. [It won't even get the courtesy of a mid-week filler on page 20 here]. You guys also did a great job on the Great Falls car show. Thanks!! :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #928 on: September 27, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »
Wow.  I can  honestly say that I've never made the front page of anything, with anything, for anything.  'Course if I'd had a lick of sense, I wouldn't have been standing there as the car came blasting by, but like Dean's tag line says, "It's bigger than life or death...it's RACING!"

I wish I'd had the camera set to color (I'd been shooting photos of photos if that makes any sense and thought I'd returned to color...duh) when I was out in a torrential downpour at Miller's for the Grand-Am 1000k season finale.  I spose getting soaked to the skin for a shot falls into the same dumbass category.  :)

RtR

Offline guttley782

• http://www.angelicbulldog.org.uk
« Reply #929 on: September 28, 2008, 02:06:41 PM »
I would just like to echo the sentiments already expressed in this fantastic thread. What a gripping story over the week, with such detail conveyed to help us readers envisage the drama as it unfolded. We try to cover all speed events in our magazine, Fast Facts, for the Speed Record Club members, and have been shown how live reporting can, and should, be done. Brilliant job to you all.
An eccentric Englishman building a motorcycle streamliner with the help of a few friends!