Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505129 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #900 on: September 26, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
Nancy and I made it to Billings, Montana today -- and found this forward from Glen Barrett who got it from Roy Creel.

"

Cook, I know you wont get this till you get home, but... I envy you,

What a great event, with few folks, perfect weather and salt, and  participants that know what they are doing.
The outstanding coverage presented by landracing.com kept us all on the edge of our seats. Thank you for accomodating them.
Best of all, you have filled the gap that the SCTA-BNI  could not do for the very fast cars and bikes.

Congratulations
Cree

"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #901 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
Thanks to all- :cheers:--now back to unloading from WOS- :-D--lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #902 on: September 26, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
This has by far been the best week at work EVER, sitting here and "refreshing" all say long!!! Thank you very much to SSS, Nancy, RTR, Mike Cook for putting on the event, Top 1 for backing it and to all of the brave drivers and teams that came out to put the "pedal to the metal." Sorry about Nish's bad fortune AGAIN, I'm sure they will be back stronger then ever next season. Keep it up fellas you'll get that damn record sooner or later. I wish Goodfellow and Hess a speedy recovery and that they get back to the salt to try again some day soon. This meet is what dreams are made of and for Poteet & Main, Ack and Burkland those dreams were realized. Next year looks to be a barn burner, as many teams will be gunning for the glory that only the Bonneville Salt Flats can bring. Thanks again and also to all of the landracing.com members for all of your excellent incite. :cheers:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #903 on: September 26, 2008, 10:57:40 PM »
The return of the Rat.

Just got home.  I'm lucky.  I only had a 2 hr drive.  I get to shower in my own shower; sleep in my own bed.  Best of all, I don't have to type on that D***ED LAPTOP KEYBOARD OR SQUINT INTO THE GLARE!!!

It was an uneventful drive home...I cranked up the music from Big Organ Trio and Blind Faith.  I played the bass in my head.  Made the drive an easy one.

I'd like to give some props.  Jon Wennerberg, thank you for having the faith in me and my photography which allowed me to be there.  You made it possible for me...period.  I thank you again. 

To Mike Cook and all the course workers: Absolutely Wonderful Job!!!  Linda at Land's End, Wes, everybody else...WAY TO GO!!!

And to all the wonderful people who put up with my camera and questions and "cub reporting" I thank you for your patience.  There are a coupla crew guys (and one kind lady) on Ron Main's crew who went the extra mile to help me out and made me feel like part of the team.  You guys (and lady) know who you are.  And the people I met in passing who were friendly, informative and just good folks.  Big, big thanks.

To Top 1 Oil for standing behind this meet.  Great job.  I wouldn't have much to photograph if you hadn't been there.

To all those who read and posted on this forum...and those who read and DIDN'T post...thank you for just being there.

Finally, a very sincere thanks to Gunga Din, my gun bearer and umbrella holder.  Thanks, man.  You helped me get through this and not fall over from the heat or starvation.  To quote Rudyard Kipling, "You're a better man than I, Gunga Din."  :)

I'm gonna shower and sleep for...well, until I wake up to clean out the Burb that's been lived in off and on for about 3 weeks.

RtR, over and out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 11:00:58 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #904 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »
i have a question. why do the racers need to pay the fim or the fia to certify the hard
earned records that where established this week. is it not enough that all the racers
that where running this week spend a hell of a lot of money building there cars or bikes
that where there also the entry fees the gas to get to bonneville and home fuel for
the race vehicles spare parts food hotels and any other things that are needed.
it seems like the fia/fim have a licence to steal from the racers.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #905 on: September 26, 2008, 11:32:10 PM »
Think about something folks.......
We have an absolute luxury, instant play by play commentary and pictures of the best of the best. This is something that has not ever been seen in our sport. With no slight towards Jon Amo and the fine job he has done on covering meets before. But to have SSS and Ray giving play by play coverage in real time for the whole meet has been unbelieveable. This has been an historical week in both records set and the recording of those events on this site. My hat is off to Jon and Nancy and to especially Ray. I don't think you had any intentions of being chief photographer and cub reporter for this site, but you did an awesome job on both counts. You and I are lucky as we are both from Taylorsville and can go to these meets on a whim as they are so close to home. But I do envy you as you were able to make the whole deal and I could only play hooky for a day. But what a day it was and I will never forget it. I look forward to my next trip to the salt as much as I looked forward to my first - with wide eyed admiration of my heroes who stepped onto the vast white mecca before me and my heroes who have yet to make history there. Thank you all......... 

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #906 on: September 26, 2008, 11:41:46 PM »
Yeah Racefan, Just another reason to tell the FIA to " Go pound sand in a gopher hole". I remember back in the early 60's you had to join FIA to race in the Motor trend 500 at Riverside. Never did understand what they did for the money they got.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #907 on: September 27, 2008, 04:19:28 AM »
What an event to follow from afar.  Well done to all involved in any capacity - even the Porta Pottie person (who seems not to have been SSS).

The FIA seek funding to ratify the records claimed as they have a committe who study all the papers sent from the bid after just three days.  I am told that the committee uses modern technology but they review the actual paperwork - timesheets, Steward report, Technical official report.

Can you use a computer on software?  Yes, if the Steward of the FIA (or in this case a US Official on their behalf) has been told that such a 'tool' will be used.  I do this by presenting a manifest of such equipment before the runs start.  Why - because such a computer and software could be considered to be beyond that found in a 'normal roadside vehicle repair shop'.  If you tell them then you are 'safe'.

The application to run for the records under FIA, list each of the current records a driver seeks to break  before the attempt (I know because I have filled out so many).  The FIA Steward will have the exact details at his fingertips.  The FIA are only behind if they have yet to ratify a record set a few months back from any date, Louise Ann Noeth filled in many of the gaps and the lists look sound.

It looks to me as though someone speaking on behalf of the FIA in 2002 has wrongly interpreted how you break a record if they say that for the flying start the faster run has to beat the fastest of kilo or mile.  If that were ever the case the '83 record of Richard Noble would never have been attained.  There is no favouring one distance over the other.  You can only break a record in the category, group and class that you have entered and been passed technically correct and competed within the rules.

There are FIA World Records for each distance (shorets is 1/8 mile)and type of start (standing start) that they list in Appendix D; regardless of category, group or class.  So the difference between wheeldriven and Thrust propelled has been swept away, except in the minds of the so called 'purists' who wish to see automobiles rise again to prominence.  (call be a purist or an anorak).  Andy has the mile and kilo and is the only holder of an "absolute" world record.

Malcolm UK.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #908 on: September 27, 2008, 08:06:09 AM »
Thanks to Mike Cook for making it happen.

What a great event!  In a nutshell this is how it all took place.  A few car guys and a few motorcycle guys felt a need for such an event.  These guys created a pool of money and hired Mike Cook to put it all together for them.  That he did in spades. 

Top 1 Oil's role in the event was in supervising and financing the publicity. 

Thanks to Mike Cook, without him this event would never have taken place.  A special thanks to all who helped make it happen--the volunteers.  The coverage on landracing.com was first class and second to none.     

Max

Offline Wester

« Reply #909 on: September 27, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
Mike Cook has learned how to put on a meet based on years of running on the salt.  This year's Top One Shootout proves it.
Crowd control is a must at this kind of a meet.  You either were in the pits or in the watchers area when a run was ready to start.  Some kids on bikes and a 4 wheeler learned the hard way when their vehicles were banned from moving for the balance of the meet after they didn't observe the lock down.  Not that they were in the way but they didn't observe the rules of the event.  Problem solved!  Course watchers were spaced every mile down the course and status reports on a racer were in line with the potential high speeds of the meet.  A chase truck followed each racer while they were under power on the course as well.  Fire and ambulance were moving when a racer passed and the Shearers were on top of vehicles as they slowed on course.  Nothing was left to chance.  The problems that occurred could have been far worse if not for the immediacy of help.  Covering twelve miles of track isn't easy but the safety people did it.  The Rice brothers ran a good, safe, professional meet.  The biggest problem I was aware of in the three full days I was in attendance had to do with lunch for the workers.  Growling stomachs as the only complaint is a complement to Mike and his crew.  The Honey Bucket folks kept that part of the meet clean and as odor free as is possible freeing the Potty Prince for his internet postings.  The Landracing.com coverage from Jon and Nancy then from Ray gave everyone at a computer the immediacy of being on site.  About the only thing you missed was the sounds of the meet and the passing traffic on I-80, so close to the zero start.  Oh yes, the golf balls the Ohio State crew were hitting were factory colored a brilliant yellow.  They could have made a statement by using red golf balls on the white salt, their school colors.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #910 on: September 27, 2008, 08:27:15 AM »
This coverage was second only to being there. Thanks to all who were involved. Wish all of the news agencys could do as well. [They're too busy chasing somebody with a ball in their hands]. SSS did you wave when you passed by the Saltcat team in Columbus Mt. ?  Good job everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #911 on: September 27, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »
Mike Cook has learned how to put on a meet based on years of running on the salt.  This year's Top One Shootout proves it.
Crowd control is a must at this kind of a meet.  You either were in the pits or in the watchers area when a run was ready to start.  Some kids on bikes and a 4 wheeler learned the hard way when their vehicles were banned from moving for the balance of the meet after they didn't observe the lock down.  Not that they were in the way but they didn't observe the rules of the event.  Problem solved! 
<snip>
Oh yes, the golf balls the Ohio State crew were hitting were factory colored a brilliant yellow.  They could have made a statement by using red golf balls on the white salt, their school colors.

Great job on the bike/atv banning, Wes.  If they don't learn the first time...well, maybe they just won't do that again.

And I appreciate the clarification on the "yellow balls" thing.  Like I said, I didn't check anyone's balls.  :)

I guess that for an old fart, 7 hours of sleep is a long night.  But I plan some naps today...while files are transferring from the laptop.

Nice to sleep in my own bed.

RtR

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #912 on: September 27, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »
sss and nancy (nice to meet you @ bub nancy)--- got salt?  5-6 weeks reporting FROM bonneville. great job; outstanding to you two and all others who helped .one more salt event to go; can't wait. check is in the mail. hope others who enjoyed all that was done can help also.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline paulrlf

• New folks
« Reply #913 on: September 27, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
Ray,

You got top front page coverage in the Great Falls Tribune this morning on your photo of the Burklands!
Im sure the credit of Ray the Rat will cause a few chuckles.

Once again I just wanted to say thanks and great job on your photos.

Paulrlf

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #914 on: September 27, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
haven't had time to read the last 16 pgs. of mainframe downloads yet.if its been brought up already, sorry. but-were all those golfballs accounted for ? or will someone " find " one in the wrong place ? or at wot?  keep your your hobby where it belongs. i don't run my bike down your fairway.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007