Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505108 times)

Offline hayaboosta

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #705 on: September 25, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »
Wishes for quick and full recoveries to Lynn and Leo.

200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline mrdodge

« Reply #706 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:13 PM »
Big thank yous to all you good folk out there keeping us "foreigners" up with the play. It is very much appreciated. Best wishes and prayers go out to Lynn & Leo and all those racing and helping.
If you can keep your head when all around you are losing theirs....it's quite possible you haven't grasped the situation

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #707 on: September 25, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »
We're in SLC now -- and glad that Jon Amo was able to get some information to you folks.  I expect that Ray's wi-fi link via OSU ended, but I know what motel he's at -- and they've got internet, so maybe he'll post more later tonight.

In the meantime -- recover swiftly, Leo, to run again another day.  We're all on your side.

I just left when I couldn't get anyone on the CB.  I'm back at the Econo-dump now.

I'll be here for the rest of the evening.

I agree with the sentiment about Leo.  I'm pullin for him, too.

RtR

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #708 on: September 25, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »
Oh man, two days in row...not good. :-( I wish both Lynn and Leo a speedy and timely recovery.

For the rest of the teams still planning to run, be safe and go real fast :-)

Offline AJR192

« Reply #709 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:26 PM »
Any incident in LSR is going to be extreme. Most are severe. Luckily few are fatal. Safety advancements over the years have helped tremendously. Having tech inspectors who don't back down on safety concerns is a godsend. Think about who and what they are protecting when they tell you fix or change something. Do it for your family's sake. We all know someone who has been hurt or worse doing this and we all know what is at stake. I am thankful that both Leo Hess and Lynn Goodfelllow, while injured, are still with us. Hopefully when they heal up they will get strapped back in and do it again. Only better and faster.............

Offline Freud

« Reply #710 on: September 25, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »
Remember, the same safety rules aren't applied to this meet as to SCTA meets.

When you run with the big boys you are on your own.

Sometimes extra freedom comes back to bite you.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #711 on: September 25, 2008, 11:16:33 PM »
Being new to LSR and not knowing the players I find myself a bit lost from time to time.  Yet, whenever I hear of an accident my heart leaps into my throat, I have a feeling of sadness and hope and pray for the best.

Here's a little article on Leo Hess from the Bub meet:

http://www.usridernews.com/absolutenm/templates/News.asp?articleid=269&zoneid=1

I think that release was from the event back in 2006..

J

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #712 on: September 25, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »
Some thoughts before I fall asleep.  I've noticed some things at this meet that are troubling to me.  I know that all sanctioning bodies do their very best to keep racers safe and I've known for a long time that racing is a dangerous sport.  I don't want to come across as critical of any organization or regulations, but I'd like to offer some food for thought...that's probably been thought of many times before...but I'll bring it up anyway.

First, two serious fires occurred, both of them after very hurried turnarounds to get back on the course within the FIA's one hour time limit.  Neither (if I observed correctly...and I was at the scene of both of 'em) team had a chance to fire the motors and test for leaks or any other problems.  My question is, "why does the FIA require a 1 hour turnaround while FIM has a two hour limit?"  I know that was discussed here earlier, but it's still troublesome to me.  I have no way of knowing if the longer time (same as SCTA's impound rule) would have prevented these fires from happening or not...but when I've seen cars leaving impound in the morning for SCTA/USFRA record returns, there generally isn't the rush that I observed prior to the runs that ended in fires.  I have no idea how effective SCTA and USAC and/or other governing bodies would be in trying to appeal for an FIA rule change.  Seems like a pretty daunting task to me, but one that might be worth a try.  And if it's been tried before...well, I dunno.  Maybe it's worth another try and maybe...well, I'll leave it at that.

Second, the flammable coolant is just scary as hell.  If I read things correctly in earlier posts (I tried to find 'em but I'm way too tired to go back over the whole thing again) this might be banned in future meets/rules.  Great.  I hope all concerned see this the same way.  But it also brought to mind the question other items involved in Lynn Goodfellow's injuries.  Like the melting visor that he covered with his hands...which took the brunt of the flame.  I know that if I were more familiar with SCTA's regulations I could probably answer this one myself, but I'll ask anyway.  Is the visor material specified in the rulebook?  I'd think that it would be along with the helmet specs, but again, it's something that came to mind.  Same thing with the gloves.  Again, I realize that they have different requirements than other parts of a driver's suit...in particular, flexibility.  But is this an issue that needs to be examined?

I'm not sure if this next one is even valid, since I don't have much information to go on about Leo Hess's crash.  But wind has been an ongoing topic and I know that around the time of the crash, the wind seemed unpredictable at best, gusty at worst.  Is it the driver/rider's call about marginal wind speed?  I know that there are limits for holding the course closed over certain speeds, but it seems to me that different types of race vehicles have differing levels of sensitivity to wind, particularly side winds and/or gusts.  I'm wondering aloud what the bottom line is for making the decision to start a run.  

I'm laying my ignorance out here in hopes that it won't be seen as criticism or anything negative.  I guess I just needed to get this stuff off my chest.

I'm praying for Lynn and Leo and for a safe and fast day on Friday.  I'd love to be able to report happy things like broken records and safe runs.

RtR

Offline AJR192

« Reply #713 on: September 25, 2008, 11:26:27 PM »
On another note: I have brought it up before and I will bring it up again. Does anyone else think the Goldenrod record is cursed? I have to think so ater three years of private meets and two very high dollar bullets that Nish just can't seem to catch a break and get er done. I know Terry and mike and Cec and they spend every day trying to make that car faster. As much respect as I have for Bill Summers and the amount of work that he and Bob put into the Goldenrod's record, now 43 years old, I would think that with existing technology it should happen. But it hasn't. Why? The Goldenrod's record, like Burt Munro's must have a stigma attached that just won't let go. What do you think???

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #714 on: September 25, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »
RTR,
Good thoughts and viewed as caring to us!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #715 on: September 25, 2008, 11:45:20 PM »
Sorry to hear the news about the Hess accident. As always hoping for a quick and complete recovery.

On the coolant, Evans coolant is used because of its high boiling point to prevent steam bubbles in hot spots in the cooling system. Ethylene glycol and the other glycols can be very reactive under the right conditions, ethylene glycol can self heat when mixed with some chemicals (strong oxidizers) resulting in a very hot fire. Propylene Glycol is also listed as being not compatible with strong oxidizing agents.

The military also learned the lesson about fluids that are not considered a fire hazard, with the hydraulic fluid used in some of their armor. It was rated as not being a fire hazard but they found that when battle damage caused a leak in a high pressure hydraulic hose, the fine mist of the normally fire safe hydraulic fluid burned vigorously.

Unfortunately fire safe rating, ignition temperatures and such, are all very dependent on conditions during the test. Small changes in the conditions can lead to dramatic changes in fire behavior.

In this link it specifically mentions fine mists of propylene glycol being more flammable and that decomposition products from heating it will burn.

http://www.ppe.com/msds/Propylene%20glycol.pdf

Fire fighting guidance: Heat from fire can generate flammable vapor. When mixed with air
and exposed to ignition source, vapors can burn in open or explode if confined. May travel
long distances along the ground before igniting, and flashing back to vapor source. Fine
sprays/mists may be combustible at temperatures below the normal flash point. Aqueous solutions
containing less than 95% propylene glycol by weight have not flash point as obtained by standard
test methods. However aqueous solutions of propylene glycol greater than 22% by weight, if heated
sufficiently, will produce flammable vapors.  ...

http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/9030

Reactivity Profile
PROPYLENE GLYCOL is hygroscopic. It is sensitive to excessive heat (tends to oxidize at high temperatures). This compound can react with oxidizing materials. It is incompatible with acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, chloroformates, and reducing agents.

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/ant.pdf

UNUSUAL FIRE & EXPLOSION HAZARDS: Water spray may be ineffective in fighting fires, but
may be used to cool closed containers.

A very fine spray from preheated liquid in the presence of red hot headers and turbo snails is well outside the
test conditions specified by standard tests.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:56:14 PM by hotrod »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #716 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:17 AM »
Do you think nish is running tech that different from Summers?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #717 on: September 26, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
I may be wrong, but i thought the course that the Summers car ran was longer than what is generally available today. I don't know what the gearing they ran but it would be a advantage to have a longer course for taller gears.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline AJR192

« Reply #718 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:34 AM »
Sparky, the technology must have evolved as Nish is getting about as much HP out of one engine as Summers was with four. Of course the Goldenrod was four wheel drive and Nish's is two. Nish has access to data aquisition, electronics, metallurgical advancements, etc, etc. Some of the stuff he has available wasn't even thought of when the Goldenrod set the record in 1965. Not saying it is by any means easy, but it should be easier, shouldn't it? Especially after three plus years of concentrating on this one goal and several more planning for it.
Maguromic, the course at this meet has 12 available miles. I don't think it would be possible to get much more than that. Anyone remember if they had a longer course in 1965? Glen? Freud?

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #719 on: September 26, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
Even thought it seems with todays technology it would be easier to go faster. I am curious as to how rule changes/saftey features that have been added may or may not of limited people from going faster?

Scott