Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505157 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #675 on: September 25, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Jon and Nancy& RtR :cheers:---thanks for the great show!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #676 on: September 25, 2008, 05:53:37 PM »
Can't u just hear SSS telling the dude at the gas pump to print out his Motech?

They will return. 

Thanks SSS and Nancy.

RtR.....go to the truckstop and get yo self some of them pills. U got it 'till the end of the meet.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #677 on: September 25, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
Drive safe you two and Thanks Again for all the play by plays  :cheers:
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline BigWedgie

• New folks
  • 1971 Buick Riviera AA/CGC
« Reply #678 on: September 25, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »
Do you know if Burkland is going to run today? I've been logged in all day and I want say great job SSS! I'm actually waiting for Kenny Duttweiler to get home so I can ask him about a combo for next year. Great job Speed Demon!!!

:cheers:
World's Fastest Boat Tail! (I Believe)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #679 on: September 25, 2008, 06:02:01 PM »
It doesn't look likely for a Burkland run today.  I'm lookin right at their pit across the way and there are a few folks standing aroun the liner, but no thrash.  Same thing with Hess and Ack.  I haven't heard anything on the CB about the course hold until 4 pm...and it's just 4 right now.

I'm gonna go ask Tom Burkland (if I can find him) what the plans are.

Freud: if it's all the same to you, I think I'd prefer to stay away from those pills at the truck stop.  But I'll hang in there til the bitter end.

RtR

Offline Freud

« Reply #680 on: September 25, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »
RtR...I have every confidence in you.

Just don't plan on much sleep.

B'ville does that to you.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #681 on: September 25, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
pssstt.... SSS.... the links have been on the front page of lr.com for the last 52 hours! If you'd like them in a different location or further up on the page lemme know & I'll get to it. If you'd like it differently worded let me know that too!

We're officially mobile as well. We're headed south for the Maxton meet this weekend. We've also signed on for this funkiedoodle mobile broadband internet so with any luck you'll get more frequent correspondence from us as well. No promises on mirroring the superb reporting going on here as Todd and I will be very busy in tech and are also going to try to run as well but we'll try to sign on now & again for an on the spot report!

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #682 on: September 25, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »
Thanks a million SSS, Nancy and RTR for your awesome reporting and photo's. Like everyone else that have been living via the "refresh button" we greatly appreciate all of your time and effort. You sure made my week!!!

P.S. RTR and/or anyone still out on the salt needs to get some video of Burkland if and when they run. :cheers:

Offline Jarlo

• New folks
« Reply #683 on: September 25, 2008, 06:13:38 PM »
A big Boo-Hoo!  We're on I-80 headed east.  

Later...
Good job, ya'll; with  a little luck and trading the driving chores, I'll
hope you can make it beyond Rock Springs before the adrenalime dumps out like a 10 wheel truck.
Really great seeing you both again, and if there is anything I can help you with around the Saltville area, don't hesitate to ask.
REGARDS AGAIN,
Jim
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:15:22 PM by Jarlo »

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »
I have yet to thank SSS (by SSS I mean J&N)
Also a big thanks to RTR (I dont mean to speak for Tom, but I can almost guarantee 99.9999% that he will want a copy of the pics of the 411 in action, you might ask him if you get a chance).

Amazing shots.

Also on another note I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a suitable alternative to flammable coolant?
2. What would have happened if the Nish crew ran without 1 cylinder? If only one hole was bad why not just run the motor with 7? (it would still be a 700 ci motor).

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #685 on: September 25, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »
Hey, Deb --

I see the links!  I guess my excuse will be # 14B.  For those of you that don't use the same rulebook that I have, that means that while I did see that Deb had posted some stuff on the front page (and she sent me instructions on how I could o it myself, although my efforts came out more like they had been run through the blender), I never scrolled down the page far enough to see that the links I was requesting were already there.  And that's the story I'll stick to -- no comments about Nancy's tattoos taking my mind off my work, hey?

Have fun at Maxton, we hope the weather won't be to bad, and isn't this concept of having mobile internet cool?  Except that bouncy roads make for crummy typing.

N & J

PS  Almost out of battery--gotta shut off for a while.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »

Even though George is a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club, instead of wearing his 2 Club red hat, he prefers to wear his John Deere hat.

Now that's a good ol' boy.

Rock on, George.

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline rlague

« Reply #687 on: September 25, 2008, 07:03:10 PM »
I just talked to Mike Akatiff on the phone.  He says they are getting back in line to run this afternoon.  they have been busy, removed the doors, changed an engine, fixed the battery ground, and replaced the center section on the turbo.......wow!

He said our on-board camera system is working well after his son Greg did a little tweak to the solid state memory cartridge that stores the video.  [no tape or hard drive].  Good work Greg!  Sam has the same system and he has made a similar tweak with Greg's help.  Wish I were there to help.....but it just did now work out.

I think Sam is going to run tomorrow.

Is the Ack Attack in line?  Go get 'um Rocky!!
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #688 on: September 25, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
"Pit Walk" report:

Burkland has trouble with engine #2.  Still working on it.  Won't run again today.

Wheeler: Gonna get the liner back together today and hope to run tomorrow am.

Hess: Hope to run later in the day if winds cooperate.  Liner on the trailer and heading toward the mountain end as I type this 5 pm mdt.

Ack: on the trailer, might run if winds cooperate..and at the moment, they aren't.  0 mph at the pit end, 9 mph at the mountain end...and the next moment, it switches and the big end has 1 mph and the pits at 5.  Rocky won't run unless the winds are under 2 mph.

OSU:  Expecting the motor to come back from SLC at 3 am with a goal of running at 7:30.

Poteet & Main: Record has been "tentatively confirmed."  Way it was explained to me, the speeds were good enough, but car is subject to scrutiny.  They've changed the gear and are gonna run again in the am with a goal of 260.

I'll report again when I know something about Hess.

Wind picking up at the pit end.  Track workers are sweeping the course, looking for any spare parts that might have been left as offerings for the gods of speed.

RtR

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #689 on: September 25, 2008, 07:08:05 PM »
With the lull, I thought I would relate how I found out "ANTIFREEZE" will go BOOOOM!  Over 40 years ago I was cutting the top off of an empty 55 gallon drum that had been full of Ethelene-glycol (Prestone).
I had run water through it for hours and proceeded to cut the top off with an acetylene torch.  Kag--damBoooom! I was astraddle the drum that found its way out an open door jetting a 45 foot yellowish=blue jet that propelled me and the drum like a bull rider and mount  at 6 g's across the parking lot.
Well, you do not have to scare me twice. I never tried to make a garbage can out of any chemical drum whatsoever with a torch. I have used an air chisel since but not fire.
Seriously, if anything can be good about the 350 mph close call, it may be a rule change or a new awareness about all things we might think of as SAFE!
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........