Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505113 times)

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #615 on: September 25, 2008, 02:24:17 PM »
From the Salt Lake Tribune:

Salt Flats driver still in serious condition

Article Last Updated: 09/25/2008 10:54:51 AM MDT

"Lynn Goodfellow, who suffered burns when his diesel-powered car burst into flames after a run on the Bonneville Salt Flats, remained in serious condition Thursday morning at the University of Utah Hospital. According to a hospital spokesperson, Goodfellow's condition has not changed since he arrived via Life Flight helicopter Wednesday. The 67-year-old Goodfellow is from Boulder, Nevada. He is a veteran of land-speed racing on the Salt Flats who drove his car, the "Mormon Missile," to a speed of 314 mph before it caught fire."

Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_10556369

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #616 on: September 25, 2008, 02:28:29 PM »
Here's this hour's report:

The Ack pits sent out the word that the grilled chicken was ready -- would everyone please attend for lunch?  We did -- so did Sam Wheeler's crew, Kuryakyn, OSU, Burkland, and so on.  Lunch was tasty, thank you.

While we were eating Mike Akatiff's crew fired up the motors.  First of all -- good diagnosing, Dave Dahlgren -- when you said it was a grounding problem.  Well, problem it was -- like they didn't have the battery negative terminal hooked up.  Something was touching enough to conduct to start the engines -- but underway there was vibration and that's why the erratic volts.  So - when they started the motors there was a nasty sound in one of the turbos -- a bearing has gone astray, and they're putting a replacement in.

I hear Sam's bike revving in the background, so take that for what it's worth.

Poteet/Main fired their engine, as Ray has already reported.

That's it for now -- going to go hand out a few landracing.com stickers to the teams.  By the way -- if you folks send in a donation to landracing.com -- send me your mailing address, hey?  We're asking for them so we can thank you by sending a bumper sticker to you.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #617 on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
The only protection against fire in the cockpit is a proper fire prooved seal firewall.

Unfortunately the Mormon Missile lack on that.

At the beginning of the World of Speed the streamliners was in the trailer close to the inspection.

I talked to someone of the team when they will seal the firewall, due to the missing of a seal....the answer was that there will be no one - the design concept is closing enough! I saw now on Ray's picture from the MM that they really didn't correct the lack......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
Hiya Pork, sorry I missed WOS this year . . .

Somehow my impression was the flame travelled in the breathing tube and got into the driver's compartment that way.

At any rate, I'm sure they are attending to the shortcomings.

We should all be reminded of the reason for tech and safety rules. and its good to hear all should go well with our friend in the hospital - the new blue hat should help.

Thanks to all for jumping on the safety issues!!!

Ray, don't kill yourself running around out there!  We'll talk soon.

The only protection against fire in the cockpit is a proper fire prooved seal firewall.

Unfortunately the Mormon Missile lack on that.

At the beginning of the World of Speed the streamliners was in the trailer close to the inspection.

I talked to someone of the team when they will seal the firewall, due to the missing of a seal....the answer was that there will be no one - the design concept is closing enough! I saw now on Ray's picture from the MM that they really didn't correct the lack......
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

McRat

« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
From what I gathered yesterday the coolant vaporized as it was expelled from the system which allowed the flash fire.  ...

I think where the problem lies, is that if my intel is right, and 210°F is the flash point for Evans, it is at it's flash point at WOT during a run, so if it escapes, it is already ready to burn, and just needs a source of ignition. Kinda like you could put out a fire with a bucket of cold oil, but it would have wildly different results if the oil was hot already.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #620 on: September 25, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
O-KAY, a coupla things are under way.  First of all, I'd like to get a link to Ray The Rat's photo album so everyone can access his photos as easily as possible.  I'm getting asked over and over about where's this photo, where's that one -- so I'll try (or Debbie will, hint-hint) put a link to his stuff right on the front of landracing.com

Second of all, we're getting set to lock down -- the Speed Deomn is on the way to the north end of the course to make a run!  The N/A engine is in the car, we've all heard it run, the car and caravan is at the six mile (on the way to the 12) to make a run.  Finally.

As for streamliner bikes -- the wind has come up enough that Rocky, at least, isn't likely to make a run for a while.  He was telling Nancy and me (and his mom and wife and daughter, all of whom were shooting the breeze over lunch) that 3 or 3 1/2 is about all he chooses to run in.  Right now we've got (guessing here) about 10 mph blowing down the course from north to south.  I haven't heard a report from the other reporting stations recently.

Poteet/Main just went by the eight mile.

The E-Z Hook is hanging on the rack, body out back in the sun so the new stuff can dry or set up or whatever they've done.

The Kuryakyn bike is hanging on the rack --  the Burkland car is sitting in the shade.  Mormon Missile os gone from the salt, OSU is out of the cocoon trailer and being worked upon.

End for now.  I'll go check out Sam's body.  Wait a minnit, that doesn't sound right, does it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #621 on: September 25, 2008, 03:22:44 PM »
Come on Sam!! A busa rider pulling for a Kawasaki :-D imagine that.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
« Reply #622 on: September 25, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »
The flash point of a flammable liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mixture in air. At this temperature the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed. A slightly higher temperature, the Fire Point, is defined as the temperature at which the vapor continues to burn after being ignited. Neither of these parameters is related to the temperatures of the ignition source or of the burning liquid, which are much higher. The flash point is often used as one descriptive characteristic of liquid fuel, but it is also used to describe liquids that are not used intentionally as fuels.

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #623 on: September 25, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
From what I gathered yesterday the coolant vaporized as it was expelled from the system which allowed the flash fire.  ...

I think where the problem lies, is that if my intel is right, and 210°F is the flash point for Evans, it is at it's flash point at WOT during a run, so if it escapes, it is already ready to burn, and just needs a source of ignition. Kinda like you could put out a fire with a bucket of cold oil, but it would have wildly different results if the oil was hot already.

Don't forget that we have two turbos on it which the exhaust housing are glowing ==> source of ignition?????

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #624 on: September 25, 2008, 03:33:55 PM »
How far is Speed Demon? I heard is soon ready ...

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #625 on: September 25, 2008, 03:34:06 PM »
O-KAY, a coupla things are under way.  First of all, I'd like to get a link to Ray The Rat's photo album so everyone can access his photos as easily as possible.  I'm getting asked over and over about where's this photo, where's that one -- so I'll try (or Debbie will, hint-hint) put a link to his stuff right on the front of landracing.com

Here's the link to the PB album:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/

The Burkland excitement:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/burkland_wed_runs/

The Mormon Missile shots from Wednesday:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missle_wed_runs/

Waitin for the Demon to head down the course,

RtR

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #626 on: September 25, 2008, 03:36:05 PM »
How far is Speed Demon? I heard is soon ready ...

Demon is at the mountain end of the course preparing for a down run.  Their pits are prepped for a turnaround.  I've got some photos of it buttoning up and on the trailer that 'll post after the run.

RtR

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #627 on: September 25, 2008, 03:37:47 PM »
Go Speed Damon  :evil:  ....... GOOOOOOO!!!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #628 on: September 25, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »
Estimate is five-ten minutes until Speed Demon runs.  George is doing a "photo opportunity" right now -- then will get in the car.

Back to important things -- thanks for the data on the Evans coolant/K-Y Jelly.  I assure you that this subject is now the source of quite a few laughs out here.

George Poteet is suiting up right now.

Is in the car being buckled in.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: September 25, 2008, 03:40:58 PM »
Wind  4-5 north to south at timing, ditto at the four mile, 1.6 mph down the course at the nine mile.

Here in the pits is more like 5-8 mph, but the car will be at low speed here (we sure as heck hope!) so it's not an issue.
Engine is running.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com