Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505208 times)

bak189

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #600 on: September 25, 2008, 12:57:23 PM »
In non-air cooled bikes........Engine Ice........................

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: September 25, 2008, 01:06:53 PM »
Ack is fixed minor problem..

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2008, 01:10:28 PM »
Wouldnt that stuff be a lot more harmful to the salt then plain water in the event of an engine loss ? Would it just sink in or cause a slick spot on the track ? I had no idea it was flamable, just that antifreeze is banned in drag racing because its so hard to clean up.

We used Engine Ice this year.  It also contains propylene glycol and states that it is "essentially non-toxic" and is "phosphate free and naturally biodegradable".   cyclelogic.cc

On the question portion of their site they do have an interesting question that they don't really answer..

"OK, so what. I don't care if bursts into flames when I take it out. Does it work, is it cooler"?  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:13:21 PM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline SaltyDog

• New folks
« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
I will have BBQ riblets, Chicken and some fruit compote for my main course.... For dessert a PB & J sandwich.... For the road, a apple and granola bar will do just fine... Is there anyway I can get that delivered to my desk? hitting this refresh button has really worked up my appetite.... Great Jonny on the spot reporting. Keep up the good work!!

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »
Just got of the phone with Paul Green, Speed Damon as ready this afternoon to run on the natural aspirated engine. SD had also a fire in the last few days with over 360 mph IIRC.
As of last night, the rule book got changed not to use Evan cooling fluid, I don't know whether all anti freeze product got banned

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 01:16:27 PM by mde »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2008, 01:14:44 PM »
We recommend glycol free coolant (Water Wetter, Kool-Aid...) at the ECTA track. We used to require it but did away with that rule when we realigned to the SCTA rules. I don't know if it's flamable but we're sure going to find out now!
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #606 on: September 25, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »

We recommend glycol-free coolant (Water Wetter, Kool-Aid...) at the ECTA track. We used to require it but did away with that rule when we realigned to the SCTA rules.

Last night in a response to a private message about flammable engine coolant, Dan Warner told me "I have already submitted an emergency rule change to become effective at the World Finals next month."

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2008, 01:27:44 PM »
At some point everything is flamable.. Pick a minimum temp and leave it at that perhaps... Just be careful you do not outlaw aluminum fiberglass and carbon fiber as the sound of the cast iron cars might not be that exciting.. Racing is a dangerous profession or hobby and everyone climbing into the cockpit should know that. You can not legislate safty to the point on zero progress either and stil call it racing.. It seems to be the mentality of the last 2 or 3 decades to save everyone from themselves with yet another law rule or whatever. Better to work on the side of safty equiptment firesuits roll bars etc than to banish every cutting edge technology. Here is an interesting thought at what point does a seat belt burn.. Hmmmmmmmm outlaw those???

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2008, 01:35:50 PM »
A cooling fluid which is flammable at 242 degrees F, is that save? Not for vehicles with 350 mph ... so ban it! j/m 2cents

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »
Personally I care more about informed decisions. Regardless of rules, if what I'm using that I normally wouldn't consider flamable is now found to be flamable I want to know. I'll take my precautions or my chances I just want to be as informed as possible. Like they say, rules are minimums.

I guess for me, if I take the chance and it turns out on the bad side, I'd at least like to feel that I knew the risk and was willing to take it anyway.
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

McRat

« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »
Besides Lynn's injuries, it is also sad that a diesel caught fire.  Normally diesel fuel is alot harder to ignite than gasoline or alcohol, so it's a "safer" fuel for racing.

The "flash point" temp of various fluids (the temperature when a spark can ignite it):

Propylene Glycol 210°F
Diesel, #2 petrol-based 143°F
Gasoline  -40°F
Biodiesel 266°F (not allowed)
Methanol 54°F

Offline Wester

« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
From what I gathered yesterday the coolant vaporized as it was expelled from the system which allowed the flash fire.  Unless there is the vaporization it likely is not going to catch fire.  I applaud Dan Warner's quick action in getting a ban considering the risks involved.  It's interesting that fuels like methanol and E85 continue to be used in racing because they, like gasoline, can burn quickly and dangerously.  They will continue to be used because there are no alternatives ... or like the Ballard Technology in the Ohio State hydrogen/electric liner, the alternatives are just too cumbersome and expensive.

FYI, the fuel used at this meet is simply supplied by each car/bike.  There's no central fueling and many brought their own from ERC at their last meet.  Rick won't be back to open his tanker and trailer until the day of inspection at World Finals.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
The Speed Demon Lives!!! 

so does the ol' rat, apparently.  I just barely got online, I haven't had a chance to read all the posts.  Later, I guess.

Ron Main and crew just (within the last 10 minutes) fired up the normally aspirated motor in the Demon and were loading the ECM as I shot this one:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
We need to contribute to get Ray the Rat either some faster track shoes or a small oxygen tank.  He was still panting long after his sprint yesterday morning.  Age does get to you doesn't it Ray?

Yup.  Gettin old ain't for wimps, yanno?  :)

RtR

Offline joea

« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2008, 02:22:36 PM »
with the down time....gotta add to the lsr related fodder............

willie.......how is that air and nitrous working out.......:)

Max........when you made the "275 mph" run this year
what were you clocked at..........?

also to answer your query "The Kawasakis and Suzukis that are turning in fantastic speeds with ease, are due to what? "......

not with ease, and due to same admirable qualities you have.......grit and determination..........

and the Hess liner........awesome that their out there....getting
after it.......but it surely is simply R&D and not likely to go real fast
this early in the game.........

Sam and Ack........awesome drama.........and truly on the verge of fast history.........

and very informative coolant discussion.......had no idea personal ky could ignite.......ive
tried.......no success yet.......
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:29:46 PM by joea »