Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505147 times)

Offline Freud

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #585 on: September 25, 2008, 12:25:41 PM »
I called Jon Amo. Here's the scoop. Ack thinks they have a ground problem. It just blubbered and threw a bunch of Motec errors probably related to a bad ground.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:28:34 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #586 on: September 25, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
Evans Cooling Systems site: http://www.evanscooling.com/index2.html

Quoting from http://www.evanscooling.com/main20.htm :

Question:   When should NPG+ be used instead of NPG?
Answer:      NPG+ is preferred to NPG in all cases except where the ingredient ethylene glycol is specifically prohibited (e.g., use at certain race tracks).

Quoting from the Wikipedia entry for Ethylene glycol, at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol :

"The major use of ethylene glycol is as an antifreeze in, for example, automobiles and personal computers. Due to its low freezing point, it is also used as a deicing fluid for windshields and aircraft. Ethylene glycol is also commonly used in chilled water air conditioning systems that place either the chiller or air handlers outside, or systems that must cool below the freezing temperature of water."

"Ethylene glycol was first prepared in 1859 by the French chemist Charles-Adolphe Wurtz. It was produced on a small scale during World War I as a coolant and as an ingredient in explosives."

"The electrolysis of ethylene glycol solutions with a silver anode results in an exothermic reaction. In the Apollo 1 fire catastrophe a coolant consisting of ethylene glycol and water was implicated as a possible cause via this reaction."

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline jb2

« Reply #587 on: September 25, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
Well, OSU has no admission standards so what do you expect (of course I am a Michigan fan so may be a bit biased).  Pretty cutting edge technology and they must know something to get a Michigan company like Ford to help sponsor them.  I hope they get their bugs worked out and finally show us what it can do.

Jim

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #588 on: September 25, 2008, 12:29:28 PM »
Romero must be "a lot" younger than I am . . . no danger of flash fire for  us geezers . . . . .

The main ingredient in Evan's Coolant is the same that is in K-Y personal liquid.  Seriously.

Well thats just great. Now besides performance anxiety I have to worry about a flash fire as well  :-P
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: September 25, 2008, 12:34:10 PM »
I think I am in more trouble with getting a heart attack than the flash fire..LOL If I could start the flash fire I would be certain to tell anyone and everyone for the next ten years everytime I see them..LOL

I have been talking with Ack via cell phone this whole meet  and I sent him off looking for grounding problems.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #590 on: September 25, 2008, 12:36:32 PM »
I'm sure there is a reason for the coolant used in the Missle. I like a lot of racers didn't use anything but water for a long time.
I now add a gallon of antifreeze to the 11 gallons of water in the tank and engine mostly for rust protection. I know that you need something for sure for use at the World Finals just for lowering the freezing point. I have knowing of a few who have problems at that meet with just water.

Todays modern cars/trucks specify a coolant; my last 2 Ford trucks did and I follow their recommendations. I'm not sure about any of the coolant used in the M/C's; maybe you bike guys can chime in here and say what you use. I am unaware if a standard mix (antifreeze/water) can catch fire in a mist situation and maybe it can't.

From the reading I'm glad there were no firewall problems with the Missle and this may have been a fluke problem. Usually open cockpit cars have fire problems coming from from the rear of the vehicle.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #591 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:06 PM »
Dave;

The Evans coolant is propylene glycol, not ethylene glycol. I didn't see anything about flash point on their website. Flammable--- wow!

Regards, Neil
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline willieworld

« Reply #592 on: September 25, 2008, 12:39:40 PM »
bike guy chiming in ---AIR---willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #593 on: September 25, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
FYI, I found this on the Evens Site
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2008, 12:43:08 PM »
Thanks Willie...Actually it's air and oil in my Indian and HD............... :evil:......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Cword

• http://www.ucalgary.ca/~mdsiewer
« Reply #595 on: September 25, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
Dave;

The Evans coolant is propylene glycol, not ethylene glycol. I didn't see anything about flash point on their website. Flammable--- wow!

Regards, Neil

It's not pure Propylene Glycol

The MSDS indicates it's a blend

Evans NPG has four basic components according to the MSDS
COMPONENT INFORMATION: (U.S.A. and Foreign Patents Pending)
00107-21-1 Ethylene Glycol (66 -70%)"
00057-55-6 Propylene Glycol
7732-15-5 Water
- - - - - - Proprietary Corrosion Inhibitor Package <2%

My Mistake  This MSDS is for NPG+
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:47:32 PM by Cword »
Mike Siewert
North of 49 Crew
 1149 B/STR

Offline Viking Biker

• New folks
    • www.ericksonracing.com
« Reply #596 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:16 PM »
Thanks for the updates...

I was reading this recently from dowfrost specifications and thought the same thing, "Wow, I didn't know antifreeze was flammability".

"When mixed with water, neither
DOWFROST nor DOWFROST HD
fluids are flammable because they
have no measurable flash point
(Pensky-Martens Closed Cup) in
concentrations up to 80% glycol.
Undiluted DOWFROST and
DOWFROST HD fluids have a flash
point of 214°F (101°C) (Pensky-
Martens Closed Cup). It is possible
to ignite solutions of propylene
glycol if enough water has been
vaporized and the concentration
of propylene glycol increases to
greater than 80 percent."

Offline willieworld

« Reply #597 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
OIL --no wonder i keep killing the motor    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #598 on: September 25, 2008, 12:52:23 PM »
Wouldnt that stuff be a lot more harmful to the salt then plain water in the event of an engine loss ? Would it just sink in or cause a slick spot on the track ? I had no idea it was flamable, just that antifreeze is banned in drag racing because its so hard to clean up.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #599 on: September 25, 2008, 12:56:48 PM »
Update at 11.00 AM MDT:  Nothing's happening.  Still no word on what the Ack Attack problem is.  Everything remains in lockdown.  Teams are invited to the pits to share a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich lunch break at the Pro Per Racing Team trailer.  Those guys sure know how to win friends and influence people.  Nish team served B-B-Q riblets, Ack Attack has grilled chicken breasts and fruit compote, Burkland has fresh apples and granola bars, Pro Per has P B & J.  Make your own comments below.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com