Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505078 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #555 on: September 25, 2008, 10:15:22 AM »
Hope everyone that's able, gets back out there today. Safety first (roving reporters and fotogs included please!!!).
Come on Leo.. one good pass and someone call me on the phone so I can hear it :-D
Todd

McRat

« Reply #556 on: September 25, 2008, 10:16:08 AM »
Update on Lynn from his family.  This email was sent to Volker (MDE) and shared publically:

Quote from: mde;108924
e-mail From Kurt Goodfellow:

Hello,

Just a note to let everyone know that as of midnight on Wednesday, dad’s doing just fine.  For those who don’t know, he suffered some pretty serious burns on his hands and the lower part of his face this afternoon when his streamliner caught fire as he was finishing his last world record run at 342 MPH.  The investigators confirm that the radiator cap blew off and the Evan’s coolant (an expensive racing coolant) ignited once it reached the exhaust system. This sent a flame into the cockpit through a small crack as it melted the canopy seal.  We had no idea that this coolant was flammable. His fire suppression system was apparently ineffective against this type of flame.  But his firesuit was very effective.  Everything in his cockpit was melted.  We feel very blessed that he was watched over. Anyway, he’s in UMC in Salt Lake , and he’s doing fine.  His face looks pretty good, no need for bandages, mostly 1st degree.  His hands are covered with bandages, but the doctor says there is no nerve or muscle damage. He’s able to move his hands and fingers just fine.  The worst thing is that they have put an oxygen tube into his throat to make sure his lungs are ok, and he can’t talk. It’s driving him crazy!  

Anyway, I’ll try to keep everyone up to date, but for now he’s doing well.  You can go to www.landracing.com, where there are lots of pictures.  Just go to “ray the rats pictures and go to the albums marked “mormon missile”

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:18:07 AM by McRat »

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #557 on: September 25, 2008, 10:17:09 AM »
What a great thread. Bad part is me having to stop to check on the updates. Lunch at the computer. A quick note regarding Dan's comments about Mike Cook. Mike worked with me when I bought their Lakester. He was honest, informative and when he found out about my daughter and her heart problems compassionate, supportive and one very special person to not only myself but my family. At each meet he has taken the time to visit with me and always checks on the status of my daughter. He is one very original guy married to a wonderful lady who herself had some serious health problems. If you ever get a chance, visit with him out on the salt. You won't meet a finer person than Mike Cook.
Dave Haller #93

Offline Wester

« Reply #558 on: September 25, 2008, 10:18:01 AM »
Apparently the fire in the Goodfellow liner was coolant.  It was mentioned earlier that there was a 26 gallon capacity and yesterday they were trying to find out how much was left in the system as the liner was being loaded into the transporter.  Speculation is the coolant sprayed, the fine spray vaporized and the flash fire was nasty.  Someone said the stuff will ignite at around 230 degrees.  Another comment was that it's chemically similar to cooking oil.

Most racing organizations have banned anti-freeze as a coolant.  They require competitors to use water.  I'm sure there will be some serious discussion at the safety committee and rules committee about this during the next few months.

The medics cut Goodfellow's fire suit off him and I was told it looked scorched over most of the exterior.  They transferred him to another ambulance at the truck stop and I'm sure the helicopter from the U hospital met them at one of the cross overs along I-80 on the way to SLC.  He was moving his hands and apparently responding to questions as I drove by on my way to Marcello's for lunch.  Wes Hutchins held me up at the end of the access road for the ambulance to get onto the asphalt.

Burklands were taking a head and whatever questionable pieces to Strasburg's in Lindon, UT last night with the intention of staying until they were finished and then they would drive back to the salt for installation this morning.  Ray's photos accurately show the skipping and rocking from side to side as Tom slowed.  Those black marks on the salt continue for over a hundred yards then the tire marks show a slow left turn too close to the absolute end of the course for comfort.  It's a good thing that clamshell air brake bleeds off so much speed when it opens but he came by the entrance to the pits hot, even with a chute out.  They have four chutes and the mid speed chutes are duplicates so if one is deployed they can unbolt it during the turn around and still have the same braking efficiency on a return run.

The Burkland turn around is well rehearsed and I'm sure that given a problem free run they could easily be back through the lights in 59 minutes and 59 seconds.  Remember they have that time from when they break the FIRST light on the down run until they break the beam on the SAME light on the return run.  It's not just an hour in the pits but includes the slow down, service and run up.  The FIA people were discussing the one hour timing after watching the thrash following the first run.

We need to contribute to get Ray the Rat either some faster track shoes or a small oxygen tank.  He was still panting long after his sprint yesterday morning.  Age does get to you doesn't it Ray?

McRat

« Reply #559 on: September 25, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »
The main ingredient in Evan's Coolant is the same that is in K-Y personal liquid.  Seriously.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #560 on: September 25, 2008, 10:21:15 AM »
What a great update McRat.. thanks!
Flammable engine coolant :-o WOW.
Glad to hear that minimal amount of injury(considering the possible) was sustained and full recovery is in sight.
Todd
PS: I've tried posting this 3 times and it keeps backing me up form others posting - lol.. how great is that.
back to work with monitor in line of site

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #561 on: September 25, 2008, 10:33:15 AM »
coolant---wow---thankful I use distilled water---I had a similar situation at speed week when I forgot to restart the transfer pump after a hold shut down at the start line.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline High Gear

• Team Arrow Racing
« Reply #562 on: September 25, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
We always talk about the Gods of Speed, and the Gods of Salt, etc. Well I'm sure there are matching Devils as well.

Always looking for another way to nick the racer...flamable coolant...Who'd a thunk it?

I can't thank all on this thread that have spent time and money to bring us these reports, I'll remember this when I send in my 2009 contribution to Jon.

Gary
Fix What You Know is Wrong First
Spirits Of The Lakes E/FMS Berkeley #569

Offline DallasV

« Reply #563 on: September 25, 2008, 11:06:24 AM »
We always talk about the Gods of Speed, and the Gods of Salt, etc. Well I'm sure there are matching Devils as well.

Don't know about devils, but salt gremlins, they're real and they're out there

Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #564 on: September 25, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
My experience with coolant fire.

While serving in the U.S. Navy as Chief Engineer on a diesel powered ATF (ocean going tug), we had a faulty exhaust system, which was water cooled.  Additives to prevent internal corrosion were added.  The exhaust leaked, and I authorized the crew in the main engine room to cut it in half in order to ease the rigging of the 30 ft. section for removal.  BAD, BAD MISTAKE..  The coolant ignited.  My crew managed to get out of the engine room (just barely).  CO2 wouldn't put it out.  Water wouldn't put it out.  The fire engulfed the main engine room, and wasn't extinguished for over an hour.  The nearby U.S. Air Force Base at Pearl Harbour (Ft. Shafter), sent a foam extinguishing fire truck to the scene.  Filled the entire engine room up with foam.  That's what it took to extinguish the fire.  I was repremanded by the Commandant for not knowing better.

Max  

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #565 on: September 25, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
Good morning, sunshine.  Here's what we've learned already.  First of all, the Ack Attack bike is on the way to the mountain end of the track to make a run.  Indeed -- they broke an output shaft on one engine and swapped the motor (rather than try to dig in and do a repair).  It only took them 'til about 10.30 last night to get that done.  This morning, when Nancy and I got here, the bike was being lifted into the transporter and has moved already.  And this photo was taken after that -- shows they were ready to run!

That is, get the bike ready first, put up the awnings later.  They're hoping that things will go smoothly today -- so they can run back and forth and back and forth 'til they're satisfied they've got everything out of the bike. 

They also took off the "barn doors" around the chute overnight.  Rocky had reported too uch instability at 340 and above (hey, wouldn't it be great if we average mortals could have the pleasure of getting to 340 so we could notice things like this?), so on one run he open the doors at speed -- and things smoothed out nicely.  Viola!  -- barn doors off.  We'll see soon.  Rocky is down there right now and suited up, climbing into the bike right now.

I'll click "post" and then type some more while waiting for the run to begin.  Course is locked down now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #566 on: September 25, 2008, 11:32:51 AM »
Jon,
Any news on Sam?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #567 on: September 25, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Mike Cook reports to us this morning that he went to the hospital last night to see Lynn Goodfellow, the driver -- and the owner of the Mormon Missile.  The report that was posted a few pages back was correct -- 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his hands, and some first degree burns on his moustache/lip area.  Evidently the face/screen on the helmet melted in the conflagration, so he put his hands over his face to try to protect it -- and that's how his hands suffered so much.  He's wearing a breathing tube to ease his breathing, although no doubt it's frustrating him -- all he can do is give "thumbs up" when told that indeed, he bumped the record that Curtis had set the day before, and now Lynn is the proud wearer of both the 200 MPH Club red hat and the 300 MPH Chapter's blue hat.  I think the new record is about 315.

Back to right now -- Rocky is in the bike, we should be running in 5 minutes or so.

Wind at timing stand is 3,  at the four mile it's out of the pass at 2,  1 mph at the nine mile.

Sam Wheeler's bike is down for, if nothing else, some bodywork.  Here's a photo:

There's the exhaust hole -- and some heat damage around it, and you can see there's some delamination of the fibers.  They were deciding how much was cosmetic, how much was serious, before trying to do some repairs.

Here's the tube that takes the air from the front tube inlet to the rider's compartment:

New subject:  I betcha you've never been inside the Burkland transporter.  Here's the collection of pins they've amassed in their career, as well as the needlepoint that Betty made during waiting time:

Deep enough for now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #568 on: September 25, 2008, 11:37:16 AM »
Dick, and others:  After Rocky's run I'll mosey over and ask Sam's crew about their plans and the status of the bike.

Mormon Missile is leaving today -- but not 'til the fancy paperwork has been presented.  Congratulations to them -- good effort, bad luck (the engine hurt a piston, that's what started the chain of events that led to the coolant cap coming off.  No oil or fuel lines were damaged -- it wasn't either of those sources of fuel for a fire that led to the problems).

No signs of life at the OSU pit this morning.  Poteet and Main's crew is working, Nish is packing it up, Kuryakyn is busy.  I'll find out what's the true scoop after this run.

Rocky is in the bike and listening to the reports of wind down the course.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #569 on: September 25, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
Right now  density altitude is 4850 ft, temp at the timing stand is 55F.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com