Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505084 times)

stwheeler

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #540 on: September 24, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »
To RaytheRat,    Thanks

Offline AJR192

« Reply #541 on: September 24, 2008, 11:46:06 PM »
J. R. and I just got home. What an awesome day. Great people, great excitement. My 6 year old son has a BUNCH of new heroes. Tom Burkland, Rocky, Cris Shearer, Mike Cook, Jr, and Dan Warner. What a great bunch of people taking time from their busy day to make a little guy feel special. Special thanks also to the Top 1 people and the Ack crew. They are an awesome bunch.
I overheard that Burklands had a valve seat move so they were going to pull the head and run to Strasburg's tonight and have it repaired. Whispers were in the wind that Sam might be done. One of Terry's crew said that a lifter was stuck in the bore and they might have broken the cam. That was why they called it done. I overheard the Goodfellow crew saying the fire got between the top of the body and the top of the cage and just enveloped him. The windscreen is warped and cracked, the racepak guage cluster is melted, basically the entire upper driver's compartment and the top rear of the body is badly scorched.Someone said his fresh air hose melted and he breathed in a bunch of smoke. I think we all should say a big thanks to the man upstairs that Lynn Goodfellow is still with us. It very easily could have been a very tragic day.
But wow, Tom's run has got to be in my top two or three of all time. Not only for the fact of his excellent job of getting it whoaed, but the fact it was the first time my boy watched a car go by him at over 400 MPH.
Wish I could say I was going tomorrow also, but work beckons so I will be back on refresher status when I get home. Take care all. Nite...

dwarner

« Reply #542 on: September 25, 2008, 12:00:15 AM »
Here is a brief update on Lynn Goodfellow's Mormon Missle.

I finished the record certification to the satisfaction of the USAC rep, Dave Petreli, about 8 PM this evening. One car, two records(same class), two drivers in the 300 MPH Chapter of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club. Curtis set the record to 308 yesterday and Lynn pushed the record to 315 before his incident. I had the honor of presenting Curtis Halverson his blue hat on the salt. I gave a blue hat and a couple of shirts to Lynn's friend Dave who lives in Park City, he will stop by to see Lynn tomorrow. I heard today that George Poteet gave a blue hat to Lynn's friend Paul Green who left the salt to be with Lynn. Something to hang on the IV bottle.

I called Mike Cook as I was leaving the salt to let him know that the certification was completed only to find out that Mike was just arriving at the hospitle to check on Lynn. I would like everyone know that there is no other person who cares about LSR and the participants than Mike Cook. Trust me when I tell you that Mike will be back on the salt by 6:30 tomorrow morning in order to complete this event and he will personally see that each participant has every chance to accomplish their goals.

I feel honored to be a part of this historic event and be associated with these fine people,

DW

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #543 on: September 25, 2008, 12:19:50 AM »
Great post Dan... thanks for letting us know that about all that.
My refresh button finger and eyes are both tired so it's time to call it a nite.... this is the next best thing, but sure wish it was from rubbing the salt out of my eyes though.  :-D
Todd

Offline Freud

« Reply #544 on: September 25, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
Dan, I remember when as a 17 year old racer, maybe 18. Mike was the fastest ever in an open wheeled car. I know he still has the fotos and he has just built from there.
Yep, that Kid grew into a strong man in the World of LSR.
He respects everyones dreams and does all he can to help them achieve them.
CONGRATULATIONS Mike.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #545 on: September 25, 2008, 12:51:18 AM »
Dam hellis should not be alowed any closer than 1000' vertical---2500' horizontal---down wind only!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Necklace truckstop right Sparky!...there was a chopper at Gairdner a few years back and it ruins the best part of being at the start line. When you can't hear the engine note all the way through the traps a lot of the vibe is gone.....so Sparky I can only assume you're sitting up in front of the computer wearing a blue baseball cap?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2008, 01:04:46 AM »
LOL---Dam---on top of everthing else you are a phrophet with mental iminagining capabilities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2008, 01:11:38 AM »

I think this was Just after we ran 256 at Bonneville one year...

Dan rocks ! ! !

PS, he rolls also after a few.. :cheers:   :-D

Offline linknl

• New folks
« Reply #548 on: September 25, 2008, 06:05:23 AM »
Hi there folks,

let me say thanks to all who made this wonderful tread possible.
I'm reading from The Netherlands and was hoping The Nishes got some luck this time...maybe next time its a tough sport.
Loving speed and racing I will follow the updates on the others closely.
Wish it was more easy to follow landspeed events from here.

Thanks again,

Rudi
Be Quick or be Dead

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #549 on: September 25, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »
I'm just about to leave the motel after a long day yesterday and a short nite last nite....but I finished two photobucket albums: the Burkland thing, including the high-speed, hard braking blast thru the pits and the stop that came WAY too close to the I-80 end of the course (imo)...it happened to quickly to be scary, but it was sure intense for about 5 minutes according to the time stamps on my photos:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/burkland_wed_runs/

The other album is the Mormon Missile's runs, including the turnaround thrash just before the run that ended in flames and then some shots of the car while in the trailer and being examined by SCTA inspectors:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missle_wed_runs/

The PB album list is here:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/

I'm outta here (motel, that is) and on my way to the salt.

Ray the (very tired) Rat

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #550 on: September 25, 2008, 08:08:30 AM »
I'm just about to leave the motel after a long day yesterday and a short nite last nite....but I finished two photobucket albums: the Burkland thing, including the high-speed, hard braking blast thru the pits and the stop that came WAY too close to the I-80 end of the course (imo)...it happened to quickly to be scary, but it was sure intense for about 5 minutes according to the time stamps on my photos:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/burkland_wed_runs/

The other album is the Mormon Missile's runs, including the turnaround thrash just before the run that ended in flames and then some shots of the car while in the trailer and being examined by SCTA inspectors:

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missle_wed_runs/

The PB album list is here:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/

I'm outta here (motel, that is) and on my way to the salt.

Ray the (very tired) Rat

Thanks a lot for your great pics. I really appreciate your Mormon Missile update, especially I can't be there this week. I was at home and the help desk for electrical engine issues the whole two weeks, and did some SW-changes also some new tune-ups that they reached 315 MPH record ... you see my sticker on the missiles trailer called MDE  MCSCH ....  :wink:

again: good job ...

Thanks again, and great job!!!!

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #551 on: September 25, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
 :|
Can anybody say for sure that Sam's out due to engine problems that can't be fixed?  Did Ack get a new bullet in the bike?  Will he be running today?  Has Leo Hess broken anything that can't be fixed?  Will he be giving it another try today? 

I'd like to run Speed Week this next year, but for me to run SCTA it would require a rule change of the wheel base rule for Side Car Streamliner.  The Vincent streamliner has run 275 mph with the car attached, and rider Hartmut Weidelich reported it was very stable.  Who do I talk to about getting the rule changed?  Is this change possible?

Will the Shootout be repeated next year?  If Black Lightning ain't broke I'll be there for sure, for sure, for sure.

Max 

Offline AJR192

« Reply #552 on: September 25, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
The Ack crew were finishing up the engine change yesterday when we left. Sam had a few problems including an oil leak. I heard a few people saying they thought he would put it away. Hope he gets it fixed and runs again. I never did hear why Leo Hess turned out early. They barely got back when we left.

Offline Frank

• New folks
« Reply #553 on: September 25, 2008, 09:31:54 AM »
Ack Attack broke a main shaft in front engine.
Engine has been replaced.  Should be able to run today.

Offline sabat

« Reply #554 on: September 25, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
Ack Attack broke a main shaft in front engine.
Engine has been replaced.  Should be able to run today.

Ehhhhhxcellent. Go Rocky!

Hope Sam gets his bike back in the mix.