Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505065 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #495 on: September 24, 2008, 06:29:39 PM »
Yes, we're still alive and kicking.  There's a lot of waiting going on right now -- waiting for this and that.  I hear that the leo Hess Kuryakyn bike is waiting to make a run -- it's not here in the pits.  Ohio State has got repairs being done on their hurt electric motor - is planning putting the car back to gether tomorrow and running Friday morning.

Sam Wheeler and bike are in the pits with the cover off the bike, Ack Attack is in the pits with the cover off the bike.

Ray Buck is in front of our pickjup taking a photo a photo of me waving at him.

Nish is getting ready to put the car IN the trailer (to go back to SLC, I presume.  Burkland car is in the pit with covers off -- though I know that Tom likes making late-in-the-day runs, so maybe they're just hanging around and doing work.  By the way, Betty gave Nancy and me a tour of their hauler/RV and the trailer.  Gee, what a nice way to go racin'.  Seating for three in the Freightliner, sleeping for three, too.  Water heater, shower & potty, 'fridge and freezer, NO air conditioning (those Montanans are tough!).  The trailer is about as slick as you'd expect from a class operation like the Burklands, too -- everything is there -- compressor, grinder, drill press, room for the race car and the custom push truck, and on and on.

Super.

OK, I hear that Leo is getting ready to run within ten - fifteen minutes.  I'll post this and get ready to let you know what's happening.  Tell your bosses that you've gotta go back to important stuff.  I hear a "five minute warning" on the FM.

Speaking of that, thanks to Mike Cook for giving us the FM.  It makes it easier for us to keep up.  I've had to pay for it, though -- I'm the pit area course worker -- chasing people around to make sure everyone is out of the way before a run.

Post it, Jon!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #496 on: September 24, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
Noonan, Ray the Rat and the other rat are not related :roll: :cheers:

I know that, it is obvious...we like what this "Rat" has to say..(and show).

J

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #497 on: September 24, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »
Leo Hess is in the bike.  Canopy is closed.  Engine is running, bike is under way.  Running from the mountain towards the pits at the highway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #498 on: September 24, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
Noonan, Ray the Rat and the other rat are not related

??????

I was complementing RaytheRat, I have no clue who "the other rat" would be, hard to keep all the handles and real names straight without a program.

[edit]

Oh I get it ---- Ratliff

Larry
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:35:52 PM by hotrod »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: September 24, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »
Rope is released, bike is under power.  

Vehicle is slowing.

Engine is running, waiting for the crew to catch up for something or other.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: September 24, 2008, 06:35:56 PM »
While I wait -- Glen, we were thinking about the Ohio State guy that was hitting the golf balls.  Being that I'm not from OSU -- we wonder about the value of all that education -- then hitting a white ball on the white salt and wondering why it can't be seen.

Ray has photoshopped the balls now to make them more visible in the photos.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #501 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:18 PM »
Well i'm still pi**ed that I'm home picking apples. However, this is the next best thing to being there. i do get turkey and chicken skin just reading the stuff. Any one who is there is getting the thrill of a lifetime. Hope it happens again and we can participate. Have to step up to the plate pretty big time I know. But if that's what it takes!

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #502 on: September 24, 2008, 06:42:58 PM »
While I wait -- Glen, we were thinking about the Ohio State guy that was hitting the golf balls.  Being that I'm not from OSU -- we wonder about the value of all that education -- then hitting a white ball on the white salt and wondering why it can't be seen.

So what you are saying is Ray took someone else's balls and added color so they would be easier to "see"...hmmmm :-o

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: September 24, 2008, 06:45:20 PM »
Mike Cook is on the FM -- scratchy, but I think I understood him to say that the meet is officially called for the day.

Bike is a turn out and that's the last attempt for the day.  

By the way, Mike asked that I let you folks know that he's arranged this meet to begin at 7AM daily.  He's got the fire and ambulance crews on duty at 7, and the crews all know that they are allowed to start preparing to run at first decent light.  The salt opens at five or six -- so everyone that wants to run can start as early as he wants to run.

I'm going to mosey around the pits now and make sure all crews know that the event is done for the day, then I'l come back and answer any questions that arise while I'm off the internet.  Ask away -- I'll try to answer 'em.

Oh one thing I oughta report:  Nancy and I are going to leave the Salt tomorrow afternoon and head it home for a few days.  Ray Buck has agreed to remain here and take photos and post reports (as long as OSU keeps their wi-fi up and running and available to him).  We've got to go home to wind the cats, put out the waterbed, and do a few things -- before we leave the house on Friday the 3rd to fly out to SLC for WF.

Late word on Lynn Goodfellow:  He's in the hospital in SLC and has suffered some serious burns to the back of his right hand, maybe the left one, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tom Bryant

• http://www.bryantauto.com
« Reply #504 on: September 24, 2008, 06:46:54 PM »
What a bummer. My DSL was down for about three hours. Lots of catching up to do when I finally got back on. Slim, you are doing a great job. We all appreciate it.

The helicopter issue is not new, I don't know what they are thinking when the are above a race car. This caused Gordon Hoyt's Modified Roadster to crash several years ago. I know people like to get close up shots, but helicopters should not be allowed within 50 yards of the course. Just my opinion.

Tom
I don't understand..."It won't work!"

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/CC
 - LSR since 1955 - www.bryantauto.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #505 on: September 24, 2008, 06:48:56 PM »
Our thoughts and prayers are with Lynn while he is recovering
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #506 on: September 24, 2008, 06:50:00 PM »
Jon W, Ray and Jon "A"

Thanks for the great reports and the time you are giving to LSR coverage.!!

John

PS, I thought this meet was sponsored by TOP 1 oil?  If so you should change the name so that they can get more media hits and possibly continue to sponsor these type of events..?

J

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #507 on: September 24, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
I know people like to get close up shots, but helicopters should not be allowed within 50 yards of the course. Just my opinion.

The organizers could call the FAA and request a restriction or minimum altitude near the course for safety !

Larry

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #508 on: September 24, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »

So what you are saying is Ray took someone else's balls and added color so they would be easier to "see"...hmmmm :-o

I'd like to take a moment to state categorically that I did NOT examine that gentleman's balls.  As I edited the photograph, it became obvious that the GOLF BALL was yellow.  I don't believe it was a case of yellow salt (or snow), either.  

I'm outta here to head for the motel to complete the photo editing for today.  I'll be back on line when I get there...I don't know if that's good news or bad news...or for whom.

RtR

McRat

« Reply #509 on: September 24, 2008, 06:58:32 PM »
Noonan, Ray the Rat and the other rat are not related :roll: :cheers:

I know that, it is obvious...we like what this "Rat" has to say..(and show).

J

I used to own the McDonald's franchise in Saigon, hence the nickname.  However, Pat works just as well.

Seriously, when I started dragracing motorcycles back in the 1970's they were junkyard specials held together by hose clamps, JB Weld and duct tape, so the standard insult was to call me McRat instead of McSwain.  After I whooped their buts (sic), I kept the nickname as a badge of honor. ;)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:05:20 PM by McRat »