Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 506514 times)

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #480 on: September 24, 2008, 05:41:55 PM »
This was published on the Deseret News site:

Man traveling 350 mph burned in accident

A man suffered second and third-degree burns on his arms and face this afternoon while traveling an estimated 350 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats. He was driving a Streamliner when the back of the car caught fire, said Mike Cook with the Salt Flats. The driver, Lynn Goodfellow, was flown to University Burn Center by medical helicopter. Cook shared little other information about the incident Wednesday, but noted the car did not crash. How it caught fire, however, was still being investigated.

Source: http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700261440,00.html

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #481 on: September 24, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »
Any news as to the Birkland's return today? Hope the Missle Driver has a speedy recovery. It'd be terrifiying to be in close quarters with fire around you and trying to bring things to a halt. Yikes!!!

Tom has missed out on the FIA one hour turn around for the return record attempt, I would assume that there is either damage or could not get it ready in time with the chute failure??

Anyone have any current info...?

J

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #482 on: September 24, 2008, 05:53:24 PM »
Lynn's burns shows the importance of having the wall between you and a fuel source sealed. I am NOT familiar with his vehicle but on each streamliner and lakester I look at I line to stick my head every where I can in the driver compartment looking back for light shining in from the engine compartment. We still do some liners in their trailers where the sun can't help us.

We add air for the driver hoping to pressurize the compartment but in a fire in an engine compartment the air is expanding looking for a place to go and any gap to the driver can be dangerous. I hope this was not the case here and I hope he can recover. A lot of my friends were involved in a steam explosion many years ago and recoverytime was long and slow......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #483 on: September 24, 2008, 05:58:04 PM »
Thanks for the insite guys and very glad that Burkland was able to get that sucker stopped!!! Any word on whether or not they will be able to run again?

Also, any word on Nish. I've heard everything from a cylinder head was sent back to SLC, to that their finished for the year. I see in the RTR's photos that they are still on the salt.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Lynn Goodfellow on a speedy recovery.

I talked with Mike Nish this morning and he told me that they were through.  Take that for what it's worth.  Things may change, but that's the last thing I heard.

They're still here but the car's in the trailer...it was out earlier this morning when I shot this:

Offline mkilger

« Reply #484 on: September 24, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
I think Tom would have to ran a 425 mph to made a return run for the record??? or was he even in the ballpark with 417 ?  Whats the wheel driven FIA record?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #485 on: September 24, 2008, 06:01:57 PM »
Whats hapening with Sam?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #486 on: September 24, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »
I suggested some years back about adding burst panels to streamliners and lakesters with total enclosed bodies to vent the pressure when there is a major engine explosion. It was shot down. I still think they would help.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:10:25 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #487 on: September 24, 2008, 06:12:21 PM »

I suggested some years back about adding burst panels to streamliners and lakesters with total enclosed bodies to vent the pressure when the is a major engine explosion. It was shot down.

Yes, but didn't you also suggest that the property at Wendover's "bend in the road" be used to build a new Hooters?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #488 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »
Ray,

watch you health out there - we love this stuff!!!

Mormon Missile turnaround thrash and return launch:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/morman_missle_wed_runs/

Thanks all for the photobucket feedback.  Glad to  hear it's workin for others.

RtR

Thanks, David.  Surprisingly enough, I'm doing pretty good.  I surprised myself by being able to jog out to the Burkland car without anything more serious than some shortness of breath.

Speakin of jogging, exercise, etc...a new form of sport has been invented...I think.

Offline mde

• New folks
« Reply #489 on: September 24, 2008, 06:14:31 PM »
Lynn's burns shows the importance of having the wall between you and a fuel source sealed. I am NOT familiar with his vehicle but on each streamliner and lakester I look at I line to stick my head every where I can in the driver compartment looking back for light shining in from the engine compartment. We still do some liners in their trailers where the sun can't help us.

We add air for the driver hoping to pressurize the compartment but in a fire in an engine compartment the air is expanding looking for a place to go and any gap to the driver can be dangerous. I hope this was not the case here and I hope he can recover. A lot of my friends were involved in a steam explosion many years ago and recoverytime was long and slow......JD

Offline Howard

« Reply #490 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
Thanks for a great job guys and gals. Unfortunately I can't get anything done in the shop, this is too exciting.
Howard

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: September 24, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
Dave, That was Dan W. that wanted the Hooters until his wife heard about, now you know the rest of the story. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #492 on: September 24, 2008, 06:22:53 PM »
Ray, you can find the golf balls easier if they are orange :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #493 on: September 24, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
Like all the others, fascinating to watch events unfold with the blow by blow reporting it is hard to walk away from the computer.

Best wishes on the burn recovery, and hope The Burkland's can get everything sorted for another run.
I would assume they are looking closely at that cooked disk brake rotor, and that might be good cause to pass on the return run. As late in the day as it is now, probably better to use the remaining time to check on things and look into the engine miss reported earlier in the thread.

Thumbs up on the coverage for all involved, and great pictures Rat!

Waiting with anticipation for the next installments.

Larry
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 10:36:00 PM by hotrod »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #494 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:26 PM »
Noonan, Ray the Rat and the other rat are not related :roll: :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah