Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505143 times)

Offline DavidinDurango

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #300 on: September 24, 2008, 11:12:46 AM »
Nellis Shootout?  as in Vegas?

Any help as to information?

thanks,

Hey -- As long as I've got your attention, Richard and Judy White -- the couple that's helping Carl put the Lovelock event together -- will be attending the Nellis AFB S hootout this weekend and will post some results on the event.  Nancy and I will be on the road heading home -- so Richard will give you something to keep your appetites sated.
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline rlague

« Reply #301 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »
Any Ack Times?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:34 AM »
Sorta like me---I was out in the shop about the same time with the tape measure comtemplating next redo of the RAT---dropping some frontal area and cleaning some things up aero wise :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #303 on: September 24, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »
Any Ack Times?

Ack Attack bike    entry  333  kilo  337  mile  338   exit   not reported

Chute out at the 3 1/2

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #304 on: September 24, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
While we are waiting:
This Saturday in Buelton, CA

http://www.oilstick.com/drylakeshallof%20famegasup/index.htm
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #305 on: September 24, 2008, 11:27:20 AM »
I've heard these meets are frightfully expensive to put on and so the per vehicle entry fees are pretty high.  I was considering going but the last time I heard there were only two or three other vehicles so it was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of (if I recall correctly) $8000 to $11,000 dollars (and I could use that money to pay off Sears, well at least as far as it would go anyway).   :|

Now I find that there are what, five cars and two or three bikes?  Price got a whole lot more reasonable real quick like (Sears will just have to wait).

Sooooo, does anyone know what the final per vehicle charge was for this event?  

It would just be too cool to hang a radiator inside the back of my leaky old 'liner and just spend the day doing laps out there!  You know make a pass, don't even pull the chute... just let her coast down 5 miles to the 0 at the far end... make a BIG U turn and hammer it back up through the lights in the other direction.

Oops, not fast fast enough... BIG U turn and back on up the course.  What a day that would be!!  Probably need a bigger gas tank too, but what the heck?
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Offline Freud

« Reply #306 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:40 AM »
DEAN, great post.

Gas Up is a marvelous event.

I hope to meet u there.

At least the front row parking isn't 1.7 miles long like the pits at B'ville.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #307 on: September 24, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
Okay -- here's the latest.  Ack will run again this morning.  He'll try to re-qualify -- instead of running back on the times from that first run.

Sam Wheeler is reading the bike to run.

Tom Burkland has put another sensor into the tach pickup -- yesterday was seeing readings saying the motor was spinning 10,000 rpm (Highly unmlikely for a pair of Mopar engines!), and he therefore short-shifted again.  Also had a misfiring situation -- not sure what the problem was, but they've started up the engines twice already this morning, and are hoping to go make a run soon.

End of this post.  Get a cup of coffee-- no running for at least a half-hour, likely longer than that.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #308 on: September 24, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
I've heard these meets are frightfully expensive to put on and so the per vehicle entry fees are pretty high.  I was considering going but the last time I heard there were only two or three other vehicles so it was going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of (if I recall correctly) $8000 to $11,000 dollars (and I could use that money to pay off Sears, well at least as far as it would go anyway).   :|

Now I find that there are what, five cars and two or three bikes?  Price got a whole lot more reasonable real quick like (Sears will just have to wait).

Sooooo, does anyone know what the final per vehicle charge was for this event?  

It would just be too cool to hang a radiator inside the back of my leaky old 'liner and just spend the day doing laps out there!  You know make a pass, don't even pull the chute... just let her coast down 5 miles to the 0 at the far end... make a BIG U turn and hammer it back up through the lights in the other direction.

Oops, not fast fast enough... BIG U turn and back on up the course.  What a day that would be!!  Probably need a bigger gas tank too, but what the heck?

I fully intended to attend the Top 1 Oil Shootout.  Mike Cook put it all together.  He told me my cost to attend would be $5,000.  The cars cost are $15,000.  Five cars at $15,000 each=$75,000.  The four bikes would have been $20,000.  Initially, Ack was going to foot the bill to get Charlie, the FIM official, over, then the four bikes would split the bill on that after the final figure was calculated. 

Mike Cook wanted to limit the participants to 10.  He's run many meets before, and said that running 10 competitors is about all you can do time wise, to give justice to all. 

Max 

John Romero

« Reply #309 on: September 24, 2008, 12:12:30 PM »
I fully intended to attend the Top 1 Oil Shootout.  Mike Cook put it all together.  He told me my cost to attend would be $5,000.  The cars cost are $15,000.  Five cars at $15,000 each=$75,000.  The four bikes would have been $20,000.  Initially, Ack was going to foot the bill to get Charlie, the FIM official, over, then the four bikes would split the bill on that after the final figure was calculated. 

Mike Cook wanted to limit the participants to 10.  He's run many meets before, and said that running 10 competitors is about all you can do time wise, to give justice to all. 
Max 

That seems strange. Only $5K for a bike but $15K for a car. Same track, same timing, same course workers, seems like the same everything. There must be a difference somewhere. Does the FIA charge that much more than the FIM for an on-site rep?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:14:55 PM by John Romero »

landracing

« Reply #310 on: September 24, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »
Any Ack Times?

Lague,

You are behind the curve everytime you post... Just a few posts before your post JonW posted his times for the morning and whats going on...  Read days events and you will be up to speed on whats going on just like the rest of us instead of repeating info to clutter up the forum topic with information already there.

Jon

landracing

« Reply #311 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:05 PM »

Max 

That seems strange. Only $5K for a bike but $15K for a car. Same track, same timing, same course workers, seems like the same everything. There must be a difference somewhere. Does the FIA charge that much more than the FIM for an on-site rep?

Many pages ago I discussed this that the FIA was much more expensive and the bike side was extremely cheap compared to car guys.. And the final certificate for the FIA went up to $2500 for the piece of paper and I think the FIM Paper was $500... Go figure...

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #312 on: September 24, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
Funny thing this subject should come up.  Mike Cook just sat here and told us lots and lots of the story behind what he does for the meet.  Most of it ent in one ear and out the other, but here's some of what I heard:

First of all, there are differences between cars and bikes - because there are differences in the high-up organizations.  FIM and AMA, and FIA and USAC -- all will have their rules and fee structures.  While the timing lights and clocks are the same, so to speak -- the ruling clubs are not the same.  Evidence -- cars have a one-hour turn around window, bikes have tow hours.  So -- the FIA and USAC folks watched as the crews worked to get the cars turned around -- Poteet/Main changing two front tires as well as everything else -- and shook their heads in wonderment, asking how the heck it gets done.  Rest assured that they'll think over that one-hour time carefully -- and think it over with the goal of making it into the two hours that bikes get.

Another issue is that the permit Cook Motorsports has with the BLM is for a private non-profit event, with a fixed cost of a handful of dollars.  But -- if Mike wanted to try to cut costs for the competitiors, for instance by selling t-shirts and hats -- the BLM might well then decide it's a commercial venture and charge 5% of the gross.  Maybe the costs would be the same -- maybe they'd not be the same.  

There is some overall commercial sponsorship money in this event, usecd for advance publicity (I think that is what Mike said), and that brought in more news and documentary crews.  That publicity will be beneficial over the long run if not immediately.

There's a bit of information -- and if you want more -- either I'll get back to more story later, or you can ask Mike.  

Gotta post this -- running's about to resume.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #313 on: September 24, 2008, 12:28:54 PM »
Amo,
Sorry Jon you are right.  I should have looked at the previous page....thought I had.  I was just excited about Ack's run.

I will shut up and lurk so I don't clutter up the board!  Have a good day.
Dick Lague
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #314 on: September 24, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
Okay, here's what's going on right now.  Ack bike is going to run from the highway end to the mountain, hoping to qualify (not running on the speeds they ran earlier today).  Then -- after he leaves, the Burkland, Wheeler, and (maybe) the Missile will parade down the course toward then mountain so they can all run back to here on qualifying runs.

Mike Cook and Charlie/FIM just went a quarter-mile down the course to set some cones.  FIM rules require the tow rope for bikes to be released by the quarter on a record run -- so there are cones for Rocky to sight on so he can push the let-go button in time.

Then there's the "makes-us-blush" news:  Cook asked permission to announce on the CB and FM radios, to the teams and spectators, that landracing.com is accepting donations for the coverage we're providing.  'Scuse me while I look at myself in the mirror to see if I've grown more modest.

Anyway, runs should resume soon.  Akatiff's bike is staged, Rocky is suited up, the crew is filling the intercooler with dry ice.  5-8 minutes is the forecast.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com