Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505120 times)

Offline DallasV

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »
I believe Nish has the head going to Chapman in SLC to get worked on. Just what I heard through the grapevine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:45:25 PM by DallasV »
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #241 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
This time of year the salt and temps are better.It can be a little damp in the morning.

Gotcha...thanks. Makes sense, the heat in summer draws the moisture up to the surface, but the chill in the morning this time of year must make more water in the air? So this time of year the air is heavier in the AM, but the salt stays dry all day because the temp stays low all day?

Offline turborick

• Go as fast as we can with as little as we can
    • http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com
« Reply #242 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:52 PM »
Question: Does anyone know why Burkland prefers running at the end of the day? I maybe be mistaken, but aren't salt conditions usually better earlier in the day?

Any update on Nish?

When we run blown we run faster when the air is the worst
Rick Yacoucci

The new Nebulous Theorem 3.5 #788
http://www.bonnevillestreamliner.com

Offline AJR192

« Reply #243 on: September 23, 2008, 06:42:45 PM »
I suppose the valve head from Nish's engine probably went right out the port and was spit out on the salt somewhere. I hope someone finds it as it would be a good offering to the gods of speed. Terry has had enough heartache these last two weeks, a little help from his mom right now would be a real morale boost for him.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
I'm so ticked off that I'm home picking apples. Thanks so much for the updates. Not as good as being there but much better than not knowing what is going on. Slim you rock! The Danny Boy is leaving for Buelton in the AM. Hope to any and all there.
rht

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:27 PM »
Richard, congratulations.  Don't forget to eat some Anderson's Split Pea Soup on your way..
Looking at all the names visiting on the site, I see one with the name Big Wedgie.  I am not to sure I want to meet him............Jon, great work, and I would send you a check if you ever returned to Frostbite Falls, Minn.  Don't tear up the salt, I am coming to the World Finals with a drum of Nitro and it aint for show.......................Bob :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Bob. Still chomping at the bit for info and the fact I'm not there.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2008, 07:10:42 PM »
Sorry for the delay.  Here's the story:

First of all, we're done for the day.  Ack won't run 'til morning.  Sam had a bit of an oil leak and was geared too tall for the boost they had dialed in, but will run in the morning.  Terry Kizer is in the pit working.  Hess's bike hurt a sprag and a part is being seardched for in SLC.  

Nish is done for the meet.  Burkland has put off this afternon's run 'til first thing in the morning.  Mormon Missile will run in the morning.  Buckeye Bullet has found the problem in a drive motor and is heading to SLC for work.  Poteet/Main is hoping to run tomorrow, but might have to wait 'til Thursday.  

And that, boys and girls, is today's story.  Then -- as Nancy was about to shut off the computer -- Charlie, the FIM (bike) guy, came by to chat with me and talk about the chip on my shoulder about me trying to fit my head into their rules.  Dang, what a nice guy -- and what a good thing for him to do (speak with me about my hassles).  I know a bit more about FIM now than before.  I'll keep looking into it.  And I sure do appreciate the international flavor of this meet more than I had expected to do so.

Good night. . . for now.  Thanks to everyone -- and especially to those of you that sent in contributions today.  I think we set a one-day record for incoming bucks.

Ta-ta.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Aussi Trev

• New folks
    • Slaughter Motorsport
« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »
Thank you for the updates.  Very much appreciated.  keep up the good work for those who are not lucky enough to be there.
Best regards.
Aussi Trev.  :cheers:

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
TOP 1 Top Speed Shootout ! ! !
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
Slim/Nancy..

Thanks for the information and please remind the fim guy that he has to send in all fim record paperwork quickly after the meet or the racer/team will not get the record approved in Geneva... :roll:

J

landracing

« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
alot have asked why I aborted my trip to the salt last night... Well,, about 4:30 pm I told Keilani to get new tires on her  car (07 Chrysler 300C 19K and it needs tires), she got home around 5:30 and i hurried and packed her car with all my stuff and left my truck keys on the table... I announced I was going to the grocery store with my camera bag in hand. I actually made it down the highway about to FT Collins and she called to find out where I was with her car and I said I was on the way to the salt and well she made me turn around.... and If I didn't I was cut off have any ..... for the next year... I turned around and came home....

JonAmo

ModelTSteve

« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »
Not one word about OUTHOUSES??????????
How many? Where are they located? How clean? Etc.
Thanks for all the hard work!

Offline Roadsters.com

• Roadsters.com
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2008, 07:58:47 PM »

From KSL Utah:

Land speed record attempt will have to wait until next year

"This was supposed to be the year. Nish Motorsports was once again going for the "holy grail" of land speed records, using an engine with no turbo technology. Bob Summers set the record in 1965 at the Bonneville Salt Flats going 409 miles per hour. The Nish team was thinking faster. However, just 30 seconds in, Mike had to shut off the engine. "The exhaust temperature was getting high, so I shut it down," he said. At first the crew thought it was a shifting problem, but when they took the top off they noticed a valve sticking through the valve cover. When they removed that, they realized the problem was worse. A valve got stuck, and a buildup of pressure forced it through. The crew then noticed more damage, enough to knock out all hopes of setting the record this year."

Full story: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=4335776

Dave
http://www.roadsters.com/

Offline Freud

« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2008, 07:59:53 PM »
WOW!  WHAT A HARD DECISION.

Cut off at home for a year or two weeks without a Salt Fix.

This seems like a GREAT POLL Question.

We already know the answer but it would be fun to poll the audience and see if he made the best choice.

When you factor Keilani into the equation......It had to have been hard.

Poll Results   Keilani 1 Salt 0

FREUD
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: September 23, 2008, 08:15:59 PM »
AT 66 that might have fallen on deft ears- :-D---LOL-- :cheers:-at Jon's age- :cry:---probabaly would have registered :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!