Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505141 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #225 on: September 23, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
John Noonan, High Gear, desotoman, Seldom Seen Slim, RX7Paula, Kansas Bad Man, Dean Los Angeles, racergeo, Cword, Kat, narider, KeithTurk, Ivan S, KEVIN, DallasV, wolcottjl, mvwolfe, Biggjake, Old Gringo, seatacartist, ddahlgren, Tom Slick, HCarte, jimmy six, sabat, snap daddy, krusty, Chad, Rocket123, Tom Liberatore, 4-barrel Mike, landracing, scott guthrie, gr8mach, Freud, 46champ, guttley782, hotrodken, hayaboosta, tortoise, crusher, Eric_M, wolbrink471, TIH, Brandware, peglegcraig, sanger351, wjesel and 49 Guests are viewing this board.

Wow..lot's of interested folks... :cheers:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »
News flash:  Just as I put ny head down for a quick break -- the Burkland team started the engines.  No napping while that car is running only fifty yards away.  

Maybe this is a good sign.  I heard a different story about Tom Burkland's run from yesterday -- that the tachs weren't making sense -- showing a double reading -- so he shut down.  Yesterday the story was that the engine tuneup was poor.  We'll see - but with the motors running it's a good thing, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2008, 05:20:53 PM »
I've been kinda quiet cuz I've been shooting photos and editing 'em like a madman...but that's sorta normal for me...the madman part, anyway.

Here are a coupla photobucket albums I've done in the last few hours...awww, hell...just go here:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/ and check out the albums that ya want to.  I'm workin on photos of Poteet & Main's rebuild...they're putting a normally aspirated motor to replace the turbo.  I dunno how long it's gonna take, but they're sure workin hard.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
I can just hear the bosses all around the country cheering.  We're taking a one-hour (minimum) break.  Sawm won't return now, Akatiff wpn't return now.  nobody else is ready to run, Burkland wants to run at the end of the day.

We're going to the truckstop for a bite to eat.

Later.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
Thanks to everyone out on the salt making it easier to be at home! Does any remember  or better yet have, Hal Blane's "Dragsters and Drums" album? I remember that it featured a run of one of Art Arfons' early allison powered Green Monsters coupled with Hal's driving beats!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #230 on: September 23, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
So the Missile is actually running against the JCB DieselMax record that Andy Green set in 2006?

Actually it won't affect their record, IIRC, the JCB was AA engine, and Goodfellow is B engine.  The Duramax can't be taken out that big.

But the fastest diesel powered vehicle anywhere today is JCB, and Goodfellow is in striking range.
Aw, that makes sense now...Best of luck breaking the all out diesel record. What a feet that would be considering the multi-million dollar effort that JCB put into it.

GO GO Missile crew :-D

Just an FYI the JCB record is 317.021  8-)

Corrected McRat bought me the book
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 07:06:01 PM by Kat »
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

landracing

« Reply #231 on: September 23, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »
Rocky had some uneasy handling problem... After the rebuild from last year they cut some of the water tank out of the front of the liner and the steering system was rebuilt. The steering was about 1/2 as stiff as before so they are making that a little tighter. As for the water tank in front, mike feels they lost some weight there so they are adding some lead weight back up front and making the steering a little stiffer.

Sam just said the bike wont go any faster... I did not get a clarification on that... Does that mean we are out of power at current setting or that is as fast as he feels comfortable on the aluminum front wheel?
If it's a power issue then he can just turn up the boost and that was just as fast as it would go at current setting, which was probably at 8-10 lbs boost..

Leo Hess was fighting a problem of visibility out the Harley liner...

Burklands have always favored a late afternoon pass and steered away from any mid morning- mid afternoon running.

Im sure JonW will clarify some of this by the end of the day... Won't you JonW?????

JonAmo

Offline paulrlf

• New folks
« Reply #232 on: September 23, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
OK This my first post so go easy on me! Would like to get more updates on the Burkland crew and if there are going run today. Lots of interested folks up here at the end to the earth Montana!!
Just an old pit crew member of  the old "411" (Studdie nad the Datsun)

landracing

« Reply #233 on: September 23, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
OK This my first post so go easy on me! Would like to get more updates on the Burkland crew and if there are going run today. Lots of interested folks up here at the end to the earth Montana!!
Just an old pit crew member of  the old "411" (Studdie nad the Datsun)

Just stayed tuned, a few posts previous they stated they were going to run this afternoon. You will just have to stay tuned here hitting refresh, and believe me when they run JonW will post the speeds as he goes by...

JonAmo

Offline Andy Cooke

« Reply #234 on: September 23, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
it's alright for you lot at work, it's 22:45 here and it's going to continue into the wee small hours again.  I have to prop my eyes open at my desk whilst America sleeps :D

top work all the same :)
Andy

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: September 23, 2008, 05:54:01 PM »
I though I must have fallen asleep and took a little nap---but I think I was just holding my breath and passed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!great ---great stuff
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #236 on: September 23, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »
Question: Does anyone know why Burkland prefers running at the end of the day? I maybe be mistaken, but aren't salt conditions usually better earlier in the day?

Any update on Nish?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
its the absolute best time to run......
kr

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
Maybe SSS will someday offer high-quality sound recordings here on LANDRACING.COM,
with Glen's oh-so-recognizable voice announcing the speeds, the sound of the chutes deploying,
the cheers of the crowd....

All in real time.

Ah stop that! Now you've got me drooling all over the keyboard!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
This time of year the salt and temps are better.It can be a little damp in the morning.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah