Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505164 times)

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
"Pure internet gossip:"

No, not internet gossip -- I heard it from one of the fellows that walked over to my truck after watching thejm thrash on the Missile.  Maybe incorrect -- but it originated right here, not elsewhere on the internet.

Okay -back to true scoop that I see with my eyes.

Burkland is not goig to run again today.  They are doing a practice turnaround, though -- spun the car around on the special dolly/frame, checking things twice, spraying fluids here, draining them there.  Tom is out of the car and helping with the turnaround.  Chutes were not deployed in the run -- just the air brake doors.  I got a few photos, and Ray is out there clicking away.  We'll have more tonight and tomorrow.

I guess there won't be any more runs tonight -- iot's past 6, and sunset is in about 75 minutes -- not enough time to tow to the far end, run, turn around and run again, then find the way backhere without searchlights.

Tomorrow oughta be fun, folks!

By the way - now that things have slowed down---I've been making short posts and then sending them to the site -- rather than long ones.  So -- click your refresh buttons frequently so you see the latest information.  Thanks for tuning in today.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DallasV

« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »
Jon and Ray
Freakin' awesome job your doing, and judging from all the folks on this thread all day it is apreciated by many. Keep it up and thank you.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:09 PM »
I think the damage is pretty serious -- I don't know if they'll be able fix overnight.  Lots ofhoses and wires needed.

As for videos -- we're planning on staying here in the pits for the down run of the 411, and then head to the tower for the (hoped for) return run.  I don't have a tripod for the camera - will try reall hard to keep the camera steady.  That's some video I'd like to have for my personal collection.

PS:  John Levie is standing here giving me shade while I type.  He wants to see his name on the internet when he gets home (to Elko) tonight.

There -- see, I told you I'd use your name.

Burkland run is still in the future - but not too far in the future.

I just talked to one of the Poteet/Main crew.  He wasn't real enthusiastic about the job in front of 'em.  He says they have a list of items they need (like miles of wire to rebuild the harnesses) and they're gonna try, but...well, I guess it's up to how the racing gods are feeling.  I got a couple more shots of the car after they washed it down...they're attached.  

RtR

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »
Ditto to that. The only problem is I cant keep from checking my 'puter every 15 min.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
Jon and Ray
Freakin' awesome job your doing, and judging from all the folks on this thread all day it is apreciated by many. Keep it up and thank you.

Thanks, man.  I'm havin more fun than any one old man otta be allowed to have...especially in Utah.  :)

RtR

McRat

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »

No, not internet gossip -- I heard it from one of the fellows that walked over to my truck after watching thejm thrash on the Missile.  Maybe incorrect -- but it originated right here, not elsewhere on the internet.

:-D

No, what I posted is purely gossip.  Just thinking out loud publically.  I haven't a clue what let loose, all I know is Dmax stuff.

I GREATLY appreciate your reporting, keep up the good work!  You are scooping the diesel sites.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »
I took photos of the bad fuel pump belt, but will post those later.  Lynn Goodfellow said it was the fuel pump belt that went away, either because the bolt holding the plate on which an idler for that belt went loose and let the belt get cockeyed -- or because the driver lifted a bit for another reason, then got back in the throttle and -- during that little intermission -- the high pressure in the pump "deadheading" at 33k psi pushed back and hurt the belt.

So:  Fuel pump belt went bad.  Repairs are under way, nothing big, they'll plan to run tomorrow morning.  The driver/data says they were close to 300 when the driver pedalled it.

Here are photos of the suspect idler and the front of the motor, but you can't see very well -- the light sensor ignored the flash thingie and looked instead at the bright metal.  Sorry -- but there is a bad-looking belt in there.

New News:  Mike Cook just came over here.  They're planning to open the pits tomorrow morning at 5 ("Mike, it's frickin' dark at 5!", I said.  He said "We're here to race!"), and at 7.30 all the vehicles that are ready to run will parade down to the north end and get in line to run (sorta like record return runs, hey?).

Nish, Burkland, Hess and Ack if the winds are mellow, Buckeye Bullet says they've found the electronic gremlin that's bedeviled them today so they'll run, Goodfellow says he'll run if the minor repairs are done, and Cook says he's been asked  by George Poteet to go over and give the Speed Demon crew a pep talk to get them going to get that car resurrected and ready to run.  No word yet on Sam Wheeler's promised appearance.

That's it for now.

No it isn't -- here's a cool shot of the tracks the Speed Demon left when leaving the line on the ill-fated return road (gotta look at the salt kinda carefully, but they're there):

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:39:23 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »

:-D

No, what I posted is purely gossip.  Just thinking out loud publically.  I haven't a clue what let loose, all I know is Dmax stuff.

I heard this from the Missile guys.  The problem (please forgive if this is duplicated info) was an injector pump belt..a belt of some sort in that area anyway tht br0oke and they were trying to get to it to examine it.  They were talking about decreasing the pump's duty cycle to decrease the load on the belt if I under stood 'em correctly...and all I know about diesels is what I learned from McRat at SW.  :)

They also have non-diesel problems.  The front end has bearing or spindle problems cuz the wheels were floppin around pretty bad when they shook 'em.  They were taking things apart when I left.  I've got some photos of their aftermath that I'll post on photobucket after I get back to the motel.

RtR

landracing

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »
I just talked with Ron Main. He says the fire damage is pretty hefty.... They have a very hard day or two ahead of them... And whatever they need they will air freight in or goto Salt Lake City and have done ... Cables etc etc..
They will be putting a NA motor in and wiring for that; I wouldnt expect huge speeds out of the car the rest of the meet.
I would like to say however, that this is a team that is there to race. Alot of teams in the recent, something like this would end their week of racing and go home and come back next year. This crew of Poteet/Main is a DEDICATED bunch of guys. I don't know if you ever clean and started working on burnt crap, but it stinks, and it sticks on you like that nasty diesel fuel and oil and 80/90... Cudos goes out to this group..

I am about 1 hour from my departure from Denver to the salt...

JonAmo

McRat

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Hey McRat!

You set one dang record and all we hear is Duramax this, Duramax that.

Are we going to have to ban Duramaxes??? :-D

Remember, this is the "Year of the Diesel".

You will have to wait til Jan 1 to tell me to shut the heck up. :-D

Go Team Goodfellow!! :cheers:

Offline mkilger

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:41 PM »
THANKS SLIM  :-D

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »
FIVE AM?  Like 0500 hours???  Oh, man!  It's gonna be a short nite...and all I'm gonna do is edit some photos, put 'em on the web and eat some pizza.

Oh, man...that's brutally early.

RtR
(but I'll be there...at least when there's enough light for a photo)

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »
Ray and Slim (with Nancy probably guiding the whole operation):

You guys are doing an awsome job!!!

Pete

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
Great job Slim and Nancy and all you photo folks. I think these "overnight repairs" go on more than most know.

In 2000 we bent 11 of 12 valves in Joe Fontanas 12 port Skinner head. Joe called to his shop in Gardena and told Rick exactly what they were. He made them, boxed them and called which flight they were on to SLC. My son a and one of the crew, Walter Smith, headed over to SLC to get them. They arrived back in Wendover at 11:30 pm and Walter spent the rest of the night on the motel sink reworking and assembling the head why we were all sleeping. At 7:00 am we went to Walters room to see how he was doing. He was done waiting in the clothes ready to go. Walter was 81 years old. We went out to the salt assembled the engine, richend it up and bumped up the record 10mph. The whole time Walter was fresh as he had slept 10 hours.

I know of dozens of these stories. I'm sure Ron's crew will get everything they can done. As an electrician the worst thing that can happen is having wires burn up. Gremlins live in wiring and I know Ron has a ton electronics. I hop they get it done and run again.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline ls7gto

• New folks
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
thanks to everyone for the updates and pics.