Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505099 times)

Offline DCarr511

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 04:27:24 PM »
Are these runs going for records for Car / Motorcycle regardless of Engine size, Fuel, Induction ? Or are they going for class records ?

Thanks for the info updates and pictures !

Those of us that couldnt make it really appreciate it !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 04:28:22 PM »
A little before 2.30.  The Ack bike's engines are running on the stand in the pit.  The burkland car is on the salt but not on the trailer, although I hear they do want to run today.  The Buckeye Bullet hasn't moved from the pit yet.  I just took the team photos for the Kuryakyn bike, which is on the salt but just waiting, as I said a little while ago. Speed Demon is being given a twice-over by everyone.  Mormon Missile is under two awnings -- was out in the sun before.  Sam Wheeler still isn't here.

The Top 1 Oil pit served beef tips barbecued, along with three-bean salad and fruit compote.  Nancy's reading "The Quality of Mercy", by Faye Kellerman.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
FIA/FIM and USAC records are what's at stake here, Mr. DCarr511.  These aren't SCTA/BNI/ECTA records -- and that's why there's a time factor in backing 'em up.  The return run muyst be completed no more than one hour after the down run begins (that is, no more than sixty minutes may elapse from when the first clock is tripped -- 'til the last clock is tripped on the way back (which return run is in the opposite direction).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 04:33:58 PM »
is FIM one hour as well?  I thought it was 120 minutes for FIM.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2008, 04:48:40 PM »
is FIM one hour as well?  I thought it was 120 minutes for FIM.

Dick,

You are correct it is two hours for a bike and one hour for a car..

Thanks for the updates Jon..

J

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2008, 04:50:40 PM »
Using Jon's method, I created a photobucket album of my own...here's the url for some of the photos I shot during the Poteet & Main Turnaround and return run launch:
http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/Poteet-Main_Turnaround/
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:15:41 AM by RayTheRat »

landracing

« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2008, 04:52:14 PM »
FIA - 1 HOUR

FIM - 2 HOUR

Doesn't make any sense but that is what it is...

Not only that but they both have DRASTIC price differences for each - you would think a world record under fia or fim would be the same but they aren't... FIA is ALOT more expensive then FIM.... And the probably share the same office.

JonAmo -- I will be heading out to the salt this evening -- Leaving Denver at 8 or 9 PM and driving straight thru -- Still working out the details, like getting the wifes car to drive out in comfort and luxury - Or my pickup -- Those who have my cell number feel free to give me a call anytime - even if you get up for that 2 or 3 am pee....

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 04:55:00 PM »
52 people are currently viewing this post!  :cheers:
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
More photos, and the latest scoop.  First of all, some photos of the Speed Demon.  Doesn't look pretty, but there's some good news.

Hre's the back part of the cover after the fire:

But here're a couple of shots of Dan Warner measuring the motor.  Yes, you can see lots of melted wiring and hoses and smoke damage -- but I guess the average is high enough to get hands dirty and certify the displacement.

ALso - the Kuryakyn bike being moved around right in front of Nancy and me, so whynot take a photo?

And back before the conflagration -- the Speed Demon leaving the line on the return run:

Other stuff:  The Nish car's motor just was fired up -- nice sounding little 800-inch putt-putt!  Makes it obvious why the rocker covers say "Frankenstein".  Also - - The Mormon Missile was idling over in their pit but hasn't moved.  The Ack bike can't run for another hour or two, even if the wind dies down dead.  It seems Rocky sent the fancy helmet, with communications and such, back to Ask Avionics for some check-out -- and when they packed the trailer for the tripout here the helmet didn't get included.  Said hard hat is forecast to arrive by Mike A's plane very soon now.  Buckeye Bullet is still going to run in a half-hour -- that's the word for the past two hours.  But I won't say nasty things -- sure enough, Ray's right -- OSU's wi-fi is back in service.

Oh, yeah -- I didn't mention anything new about the Burkland 'liner.  It's still sitting in front of their trailer, with the usual big crowd looking in awe.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
Are these runs going for records for Car / Motorcycle regardless of Engine size, Fuel, Induction ? Or are they going for class records ?

The answer is both. Everything is built to a class structure, and if that is faster than any one has ever gone with a piston car or motorcycle then it's an absolute world record as well.

Dave Campos held the motorcycle record with a pushrod class engine. That is still the record for S-PF (Streamliner, pushrod, fuel).
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 05:27:02 PM »
It's about 3.30, and Mike Cook Jr. just stopped by to inform us that the Mormon Missle and Buckeye Bullet are now saying they'll make runs starting in about 45 minutes, and that Burkland will run at 5.30.  Caveat Web Audience!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:12 PM »
More photos of the Poteet&Main fire damage.  The first coupla shots are the car being towed off to be cleaned.  The rest of 'em are of the damage.

According to the folks I spoke with, an EGT probe came out of a header tube.  The hot exhaust gas melted an oil line and from there, all (or most of) the oil from the sump tank was sprayed into the engine compartment...and things sorta went downhill from there.

http://s445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/RayTheRat_2008/Poteet-Main_Fire_Carnage/

I just heard Mike Cook Jr. trying to get the Mormon Missile team ready for their run. 

Stay tuned.

RtR

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2008, 06:02:58 PM »
Ray:  I've got your thumb drive over here in my pickup -- where are you?

The Mormon Meteor just towed off towards the north end to make a run, and the course workers are being deployed.  Good signs...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2008, 06:13:15 PM »
Back to a post from the first page of this topic:

Scott, here's a photo of the million-dollar autographed landracing.com shirt -- partial frontal view.

We've got a couple of these signed shirts and will sell them for donations during the year and also at Salt Talks '09.  And speaking of the unsigned shirts -- we got some in black with white lettering and some in white with black -- and we've sold more white shirts than black.  If you want white you'd better email/PM me soon to get your order in - or you'll get a backorder note and have to wait 'til we reorder.  The shirts are $15/ea plus an extra buck for 2XL, two bucks more for 3XL.  Shipping is about four bucks/shirt unless you order a bunch -- it'll cost a bit less per shirt that way.  Mostly the XL size is still available in white.  Get in touch with us to ask about what sizes we've got.

We've also got some Salt Talks '08 shirts to sell -- please buy someso we can close the books on this year's picnic.

Finally -- the Mormon Missile driver is in the car and getting belted in, so he oughta run any minute.  I'll be here at the far end for his arrival, then go to the tower to watch him make his (hoped-for) return run.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:39:26 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »
Mormon Missle at the 4 mile and on course, moving along.  Entry speed 234, kilo 227.570, mile 227.529, exit 227.717.  Chute's out, and coming into the pits now. 

I don't know if that speed is a record qualifier -- but I do know that he ran a 269 the other day at WoS.

Here's a strange one -- I haven't clarified it yet.  I hear the course workers telling Lynn Goodfellow, the owner, that the kilo speed is well over the record and therefore if they can turn the car around it's welcome to make a return run.  Just now someone restated that -- we'll see what happens.  Right now the car has stopped dead about one mile from the pits and is being fetched for service and the decision on whether to run in the other direction.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:41:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com