Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505094 times)

Offline Wester

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2008, 11:09:45 PM »
Mike Cook has an arrangement with another fuel supplier for the meet.  I believe it is mentioned in the Top 1 press release.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 11:13:24 PM »
I finally got a working wireless connection.  Only took me 2 hours.  Not bad.     :-(

Where are people meeting and when Monday am? 

I sorta feel like the comedian who said, "when I was a kid, my parents moved 42 times.  But I kept finding them anyway."

RtR

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 12:35:34 AM »
Kent. body be damned. Who built the frame for the chain Block hoist to lift Bob's 'liner?

That was a revolutionary engineering project as compared to the hoist for the dual engined bike.

And I wonder what enticed Campos to ever throw his leg over that bike. The sound of that clutch off the line

was sinister.

I just decided that the reason Dave rode it was because it was something that he didn't have to build.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 09:31:04 AM »
Ray:

Go to the end of the road and leave the pavement with a turn hard right.  Head towards the inside corner of the dike and the access road.  It's just getting light now -- and the clouds are moving away.  Forecast is for turning sunny and temps in the 70s.

Se you there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
How does the salt look?  Will they be running today?  I hear Sam will not be running until tomorrow.  Is the Ack Attack there?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 10:06:40 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I'm so stinkin excited for this event. I've already got my coffee in hand and I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for reports. I just wish I could be there.

Good luck to all of the competitors, have a safe event and go real FAST!!! :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 11:17:48 AM »
It's  LITTLE AFTER NINE AYEM OUT HERE -- AND HERE'S THE FIRST UPDATE OF THE DAY.

Ooops -- gotta remember, folks, that I'm typing on a laptop on my lap (where else) and my fingers don't like this angle.  That's my excuse for any typos.

Back to reporting:  Ack Attack drove in last night and is set up on the rack, body panels off.  Leo Hess is here, body off the bike, and the crew is working away.  That bike, Leo tells me, is a single (181") Harley running on about 85%, with a Don Vesco chassis and the body made from the molds that were later used by Dave Campos (I think that's what Leo said).  And Sam Wheeler is due to arrive yet today - with either afresh engine or the one that was here at Bub's (I've heard both stories, but I suppose I should wait 'til he gets here and see what his version is).

Cars:  Burkland, Nish, Bullet, Poteet/Main, and Goodfellow are all here.  I had a talk with Lynn (Goddfellow) and he told me more about his Domex (metal) than I had ever thought I'd know, and about the fuel and water in the chassis rails, and the air-ride suspension, and so on.  We haven't visited the other cars yet -- but will, sooner or later.

The temperature is about 60F, and the winds are west about 10-14 mph.  The course is set up running a little bit west of north, with the end right near the highway.  Rocky and Leo say there's almost 12 miles from end-to-end -- with the dike at the south and the crunchies/muck at the north.

Ray Buck (Ray the Rat) is taking photos for this site.  They're "real" photos -- bigger files than I take with the little pocket one -- so we've still got to figure out a way to get them to you.  We know there have been some issues with getting his photos to appear, so we're going to try to load them into this laptop and from here to landracing.com.

That's it for now.  Nancy and I are going down to the south end of the course to take a few shots so you can see just how close the course is to the freeway, and then we'll do something else.

Stay tuned, folks -- cars and bikes are gonna go really fast this week!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DavidinDurango

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!/Photo access
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 12:26:25 PM »
Jon, I'd be happy to put photos on my "fotki" sight - IF it ok w/ Ray.

email to davidadin@mercydurango.org   -- I can't do hundreds of pics but would be happy to do dozens (its  a one-by-one upload for me).

best regards and thanks!

david in durango
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
I've just discovered yet another benefit of being out here with these fast bikes and cars:  One of the teams is OSU, right?  And guess whose wi-fi my laptop just discovered?  Cool -- a few less wires hanging out of the laptop.

Nothing happening yet -- still waiting for the wind to die down.  No Sam Wheeler yet, either.  Sunn, the temp is all the way up to about 62, and the sunny has reclaimed dominance in the sky.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:02 PM »
Here are some photos to whet your appetite.  The first few are of the Mormon Missile diesel streamliner.  Interesting stuff -- air suspension, 25 gallons of coolant circulating in the rear part of the frame, Duramax diesel engine with sequential turbos (big Caterpillar one feeding smaller unit -- up to 100 # boost available).

This one I shot lengthwise -- but it sorta looks better viewed this way.  If it doesn't look right to yo -- turn your computer monitor sideways or stand on the wall when viewing:

Left to right:  Rocky Robinson, Leo Hess, Nancy Wennerberg:

At the end of the pits -- and you can see how close we are to the freeway:

Rocky and Leo were comparing things they saw this morning when they drove down the course (this shot is from the south end).  I heard things like "Gee, the lines for the course from SpeedWeek go off at an angle as we go down this course.  Sure hope we don't get confused and try to follow them" and "Didn't it look like the cones narrowed a bit at that one point in the course -- like we've got to go through the narrow part of an hourglass?".

Okay -- back to walking around out there.  Ron Main just called Mike Cook on the radio and informed him they're going to load the car onto the transporter and move it into position in case the wind dies down again.  I presume (my guess only here) that the racedrs will do as they've done before -- start at the north end so the "down" run ends up here in the pits (for quicker turnaround servicing), then make the return run ends up back up course.

I'll let you know more as the day goes on.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rlague

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »
THANKS FOR THE REPORTS!!!!  Wish I were there!  Glad you have a good wireless hookup out on the salt.

Last I heard Sam was running late rebuilding the old engine.  I would expect him to arrive today.

Dick Lague
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 01:10:18 PM »
Jon's covered most of the photos I'd have...but as soon as I find him, I have several on a thumb drive that I can hand him.  But I'm gonna try attaching a photo directly here.    Btw, I'm on the OSU wifi net.  Very, very nice of them to provide that just for folks like me who wanna send stuff to the folks "back home."  Props to OSU.

I'll start with one I shot just after dawn of the Nish liner.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 01:48:37 PM »
It's about 11.50 AM and Poteet/Main is headed to the end of the course to make the first run of the event.  We're at the pit end - will take photos from here, then go to timing for some there.

An announcement just now - "winds are way down.  We'll run as soon as we can".

Lunch is being served at the Top 1 pit -- looks like roast beast on the grill, with flames being doused by beer.  The Burkland family just moseyed past on the way to the food - lots of #411 shirts over there in line.  Now I see theNish crew has joined the line.  Let's get our priorities straight here, folks -- we're here to EAT!

The workers and officials are rehearsing rules and duties on the CB now -- Another minute or two for Poteet/Main?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:59:28 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 02:06:45 PM »
The Speed Demon is under way -- the Top Speed Shootout of 2008 has begun!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Chute's out, on course.

Entry speed -- 381.   Exit speed 390.  No mile or kilo speeds yet.   In sight with the chute out.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com