Author Topic: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!  (Read 505109 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
"Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
Mike Cook just moseyed past us (as we're sitting here under the awning enjoying the lunch that the Mormon Meteor folks have provided us worked) and reminded us about the event (like we'd forget).

Poteet/Main Speed Demon, Nish Family 'liner, Burkland family 'liner, Buckeye Bullet II (H2 fusion car), and the Mormon Missile (Duramax diesel-powered 'liner).  Those are the cars.

Bike:  Ack Attack, Sam Wheeler, and (dang, I forget his name) with the old Vesco 'liner powered by twin nitro Harley engines.  That's gonna have a sweet sound, you betcha.

Anyway, we'll be here at the beginning of tomorrow morning and take photos and videos.  Stay tuned, folks.  I don't know if I can fulfill specific requests for information, but I'll try.  Be in touch, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline isiahstites

Re: "Private" meet -- Top Speed shootout!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
Looking forward to your posts.

Scott

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »
Okay, it's those cars -- and Leo Hess's bike with the twin Harley motors on pop.  It's either the motors OR the body that's a Don Vesco work, Mike tells me.  Photos of who was there this afternoon when we left the Salt:

First of all, here's your most special-ever landracing.com t-shirt -- signed by not only Andy Green, but by me and Nancy!

Mike Cook of Cook Motorsports is the guy that has coordinated the top speed shootout, getting the FIA and USAC and all that stuff together.  Here's Mike and Sumner, who will probably try to take credit for doing everything(?).

The Nish streamliner is here, inside the trailer while they set up the pit ground cover and awning.

The Mormon Missile diesel 'liner is hidden inside the trailer:

The Buckeye Bullet was out of the trailer, although it's pretty well hidden behind the rig.  Nonetheless, we did see it on the Salt:

And I took and posted a photo of the Speed Demon (trailer) arriving yesterday, so here's George Poteet and Ron Main talking with a tall guy wearing sunglasses.  We've got the proof that the Speed Demon's owners and driver are here:

Mike says we should be there first thing tomorrow morning to watch things get started.  Since Burklands and all three bikes weren't there when we left -- I wouldn't expect all to be running at first light.  But -- we'll see, and you'll see what we see.

Oh, yeah -- I need to thank Debbie Dross most personally and thankfully for grabbing the handles and trying to help my lame-o efforts to publish what's going on out here.  I don't know how the survey is going on how to best display results), but between your ideas and her abilities and the stuff I gather -- we'll get it done.  I wonder if there's a way for me to post links to forum topics -- put the links right on the front page so non-forum members can click and go directly to the stuff they wanna see.  I think maybe not -- you've gotta be a registered forum member to do that, right?

Anyway, we're working on it.  Now I'm going back to the Mormon Meteor topic and put up some more videos.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:34:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:02:51 PM »
I've just finished the photography stuff at Miller Motorsports Park: GrandAm finale yesterday and support races today.  I'm headin west to Wendover.

RtR

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
Does anyone know what the Mormon Missile ran Friday or Saturday since the results are not up yet?
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:06:54 PM »
No, dang it.  I know I saw it zooming past our pit as we were tearing stuff down yesterday -- but I don't remember if those were qualifying runs or record return runs.  I'll try to find out.  Sure didn't sound like a Duramax, though...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:29:16 PM »
No, dang it.  I know I saw it zooming past our pit as we were tearing stuff down yesterday -- but I don't remember if those were qualifying runs or record return runs.  I'll try to find out.  Sure didn't sound like a Duramax, though...

Thanks  :cheers:
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

McRat

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:30:44 PM »

I wish I could have heard it during SW.   :|  If he didn't go past 250mph, the "twins" weren't awake yet.  The sound gets "interesting" when you get up on charger with a V8 diesel.  If they get the bugs worked out, that Dmax is going rock-n-roll.

Sidenote:  Lynn Goodfellow helped us out of a bind during SW when he did some welding for us.  Good people.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:53:50 PM »
The front of the landracing shirts are cool, but I really like the back. Do you have a picture to show everyone?

Scott

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 08:57:31 PM »
Scott:

If you're talking about the shirt that Heather is holding up -- that IS the back.  I'll take and post a photo of the front if that's what you mean.  Thanks.

By the way, Heather is not only the girlfriend of Bo Burkdoll, but also the grand daughter of Mary West (the Save the Salt lady).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
Is ERC Fuels staying for this Event ?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
You know, I kind of wondered where the fuel is coming from for the top speed shootout.  The ERC trailers are parked out by the truckstop/Salt Flats Cafe -- NOT on the salt.  So extrapolating from that I have come to the conclusion that no, ERC isn't the fuel supplier.  Nancy and I are going out to the event first thing tomorrow -- I'll see where the fuel is coming from.  I already know that the Buckeye Bullet supplies it's own H2, and the Mormon Missile has a supply of diesel.  I'll find out if everyone else brings his own.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Geo

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 09:56:47 PM »
I've pulled up the comfy chair, got something on the BarB and the beer is in the fridge.  I'm ready  :-D

Thanks, Slim!

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 10:43:14 PM »
You know, I kind of wondered where the fuel is coming from for the top speed shootout.  The ERC trailers are parked out by the truckstop/Salt Flats Cafe -- NOT on the salt.  So extrapolating from that I have come to the conclusion that no, ERC isn't the fuel supplier.  Nancy and I are going out to the event first thing tomorrow -- I'll see where the fuel is coming from.  I already know that the Buckeye Bullet supplies it's own H2, and the Mormon Missile has a supply of diesel.  I'll find out if everyone else brings his own.

Jon ... Thank You ... I've been waiting on 2 t shirts from them ( that I forgot to buy ( 7 of 9 wasnt bad though ) )

If I dont get them soon I will hopefully have someone pick them up for me at the WF.

Enjoy the meet and keep us posted as you get time !

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 11:03:42 PM »
neithor the frame or body on Leo Hess's motorcycle liner was made by Don Vesco.... the frame was made by Bob George and the body was made be me for Jack Dolan over 15 years ago when Jack obtained the easy riders molds from Bob...
kent