Author Topic: Shop Expansion - Let's Go Racin !!!  (Read 49485 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Shop Expansion - Let's Go Racin !!!
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2008, 05:38:55 PM »
WOW, lots of different opinions and experiences with PVC for air line ?

Still doing my due diligence on cost, ease of installation, reliability, durability, function and safety.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2008, 06:49:27 PM »
WOW, lots of different opinions and experiences with PVC for air line ?

This topic can lead to more opinions than the Ford vs. Chevy deal.  Me I've been happy with the PVC, but have been tempted to cover it (box it in) with some 3/8 wafer board (OSB or also called flakeboard).  Still a lot cheaper than copper or steel and a lot easier to reconfigure if needed.

In the end you have to go with what you feel good about,

Sum

Offline willieworld

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »
if i could i would have went with pvc  my county wont allow it  willie buchta---charles  might want to check with your insurance co. also
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:54:16 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2008, 07:03:49 PM »
   I used pvc in a temporary shop I set up before moving to a bigger space. It was rated to 140 psi and we only needed to run a couple lines for air tools so 90 psi was fine.
   The only problem I had was if you tug the hose it will split the pipe and the split will fallow around the elbow. I did not like that .So I did my house in copper water pipes and my garage is done with steel air lines. The air lines are still in that temporary shop.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2008, 07:16:30 PM »
This topic can lead to more opinions than the Ford vs. Chevy deal. 

You mean there's people that think there's a Ford that's faster then a Chevy???

Charles, you'll most likely find the proponents for PVC have been or are users of PVC,  and those against it are usually basing their judgement from reading(internet) or hearing unexperienced rumor.

Doesn't matter to me, I've already saved my money. From the stuff still being in use on bonshire road  in Akron that was installed 30 years ago(you'd think if any was going to go bad it'd certainly be that installation right there), to the my last house and shop in NC still having it hooked up, to over 500 feet of it here in this shop (that you can't tell the difference between it and black pipe by the way, other then it's white and doesn't carry moisture for as long in the morning as the steel)... well, I think I'll stick to my ways. 

I did look up a rating file someone sent me once though...( I think the burst rate is high and the operating rate is low from my findings though).

Even in my burst test it only opened up the end in a non violent way and that was at very high pressure(I never experienced the splinters of plastic debri flying around the shop as someone described (not that it couldn't happen under some wierd circumstances, just didn't happen to me and I certainly gave it every opportunity to).

Like Sum said, do what makes you comfortable and of course(as with any air line) put a main shut off from the tank. I have a shut off at the beggining and at the end of each leg of my line. Makes it easy to change the ends when they go bad,,, yes the brass and steel couplers go bad.. the PVC does not (not to mention ad another leg in the middle of the day without cutting air from the rest of the shop).
Todd
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:19:40 PM by narider »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »
I was concerned when I put PVC air line in the shop that if I tugged the hose I could break it, so this is what I did.  The only one that is not on copper screwed to the wall is the bid hose reel by the garage door.  1/2 PVC says 600 psi, that is good enough for my use...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
Nice fix Stainless and I really like the hose reel by the door.

Pete

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2008, 08:00:08 PM »
Proper attachment to the wall prevents pull on the connector and the PVC. A short down leg with a drain valve allows clamping on each side of the TEE and QD. I am in the process of re arranging my garage/shop and plan on six drops and moving the hose reel to the door. Thanks Neil.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2008, 08:23:06 PM »
Todd,

A friend of mine has about 140 ft of Sch. 80 PVC... I think I may use that...I can do some trading and get it for about $50...

I will have 3 Hose reels (50 ft hose each)  two mounted to the ceiling (one at 40 ft from the doors and the other at 20 ft from the doors, in the center line of the width),, The third will be mounted on the divider wall between the two garage doors.  Next to each ceiling mounted hose reel will be a Electrical Cord reel and drop light reel as well.

My 4 post Ben Pak lift uses an air safety release and I will hard plumb the air to it as well (T in a flex air line from it to operate the Rolling Bridge Jack as well on the lift).

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
I was concerned when I put PVC air line in the shop that if I tugged the hose I could break it, so this is what I did.  The only one that is not on copper screwed to the wall is the bid hose reel by the garage door.  1/2 PVC says 600 psi, that is good enough for my use...

I like what you did Stainless, but I do like what was in Glen's post....

A short down leg with a drain valve allows clamping on each side of the TEE and QD.

............ where you have the 90's I put in a "T" and go to near the floor with a drop to collect moisture and have a valve on the bottom of it so that I can drain the drop,

Sum

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »
See these threads are very useful

I would have forgot to put in drains in the air lines,,, I have automatic tank drain and water filter / regulator but would have certainly forgot the line drains.

I guess having to get ready for Maxton this weekend, working on the new shop, making decisions on the Stude Project, collecting parts for the Stude, researching shop equipment for the  new shop, thinking about learning to weld, Oh yeah and working 44  hours at my real job last week, I was bound to overlook something...

LOL....

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
See these threads are very useful

That's a fact Charles.

I haven't had any issues to need to do what Stainless did as I never pull on any of my hoses back to the wall, but it's a great preventative measure in case someone does. I do have a 12' cieling drop that gets yanked around like crazy... but it's never caused an issue and everything else is secured. Glen's way of securing the end of a run is good and it also allows you to add on later as I mentioned earlier. Sum's way of doing drains is perfect and the air/moisture combo also works well for quenching/cooling parts after welding or taking them out of the welding oven.

Here's some pics I snapped of some of my connections including one of my drains (over the welding oven and under the radio - where better for a water drain then next to your electrical panel right?), one of the ceiling drop (it's strapped it to a piece of metal conduit that I welded to the ceiling which has a lot of give to it and is able to float around),  and the end of a run picture that you can see is easy to extend later (almost all my other ones have already been extended so it really came in handy doing it this way).

Todd

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
In considering the height of the walls for my shop. Not only room for a car on the lift but around here permits and taxes are based on the square ft. of the building not the cubic ft. My shop is 30' by 70' or 2100 sq.ft' So with my 12 foot high walls I can have a 8' ceiling over my office, engine room, machine room, head bench room, flow bench room and long work bench with 4 ft. high storage space above. I end up with as extra 562 sq.ft. of storage I don't have to walk around.
 And yes even with that my shop is still a big mess. LOL
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2008, 07:03:42 PM »
Doug I understand we never have enough storage room.  My existing shop/garage is only 30x40  but I used 7/12 trusses made with a  room above,, I have external treated stairs going to upper floor (taht way no shop space was taken up by steps/stair)  The room above has a 3/4 tongue and groove floor and is a full 12 x 40 ( so another 480 sq foot of storage upstairs.

The new shop will not have overhead storage.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
Oh lots of progress today... All the trusses set and some more side sheeting.  The roof sheeting, shibgles and black paper arrived and will be started in the morning.

See ya,

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT