Author Topic: Shop Expansion - Let's Go Racin !!!  (Read 49490 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: Shop Expansion - Let's Go Racin !!!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2008, 09:48:22 AM »
Sum, that is the same 2 post Bend Pak I have my eye on.  My 4 post Bend Pak also has a "rolling bridge jack" so I can lift the wheels off the lift runners.. That is one reason I needed higher ceilings... The Air/hydraulic bridge jack lifts the car above the lift... Great product but a 12 foot ceiling is mandatory with it..

Oh my as I am typing this the Trusses are coming accros the driveway...

See ya

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 01:07:23 PM »
A few pics, I hope to see the walls built, the trusses up and the roof on by the end of the week.

I will post more pics on Friday, oh well back to work,

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13:45 PM »
So... is that view of Maxton from outside the new shop?  :evil:

By the way, are you coming to the October meet?  I know your crew had deserted you for Super Chevy or something like that!   :wink:

Charles has flown a new crew in from England, and the weather is great over here in Richmond :-D

Sam :cheers:
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
Sam,

Now don't start rumors !!  Hey that has a nice ring to it.... I see the headline now.

Local Land Speed Racer, Charles "Cajun Kid" Venable flies in top notch Land Speed Racing Crew from England to assist him with his out right Land Speed Attempt at the Monster Mile in Maxton NC.

The East Coast Timing Association Sanctions the best darn Land Speed Racing East of Bonneville, the last weekend in October the Nations best One Mile Speed demons will gather for the final event of the year.

Venable's crew has deserted him to take part in some sissy hot rod show in Charlotte, so his all volunteer crew from England and other parts unknown will be there for some support and a push or two.. (well he does have to provide the beer after the racing is done).

LOL

Ahh  I could never write an article or press release,,,, heck I will stick to my day job,
see ya in 2 weeks at Maxton.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline willieworld

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
charles i tested some tubing today hope this helps you --its under technical discussion     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
Sam,

Now don't start rumors !!  Hey that has a nice ring to it.... I see the headline now.

Local Land Speed Racer, Charles "Cajun Kid" Venable flies in top notch Land Speed Racing Crew from England to assist him with his out right Land Speed Attempt at the Monster Mile in Maxton NC.

The East Coast Timing Association Sanctions the best darn Land Speed Racing East of Bonneville, the last weekend in October the Nations best One Mile Speed demons will gather for the final event of the year.

Venable's crew has deserted him to take part in some sissy hot rod show in Charlotte, so his all volunteer crew from England and other parts unknown will be there for some support and a push or two.. (well he does have to provide the beer after the racing is done).

LOL

Ahh  I could never write an article or press release,,,, heck I will stick to my day job,
see ya in 2 weeks at Maxton.

Charles

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Sam.  :cheers:
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:21 PM »
3 walls up today, 1 more wall to go and then the trusses...

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »
The rain is coming Friday, hope to get trusses on tomorrow and get the roof sheeted and black paper down,  but based on current pace may not beat the rain.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »
O WOW that looks nice. I just love a clean floor.
Good luck to you Charles. Cant wait to see and hear you run.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
Coming along nicely Charles  :cheers: What kind of siding are you going with?

Have you done any equipment layout drawings yet?
Deb and I have utilized our space alo more effectively by doing scaled cut and paste overheads of everything we have (including projected bikes), not to mention the amount of work it saves by not shuffling equipment back and forth or having to remeasure things over and over.

The tall ceilings are nice and I've found actually have more benefit then just space utilization... like good lighting it keeps you frorm being ran down at the end of the day from the "cave syndrome".

Will try and remember to bring you a cd with a couple pics on it of you and my dad, they're a bit big to mail).
See you at the end ofthe week,
Todd

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 10:14:20 AM »
Hey Todd,

Yes please remember to bring the CD with pics.

I took graph paper using each grid square as a 1x1 area ( 1 grid square is 1 sq. ft.)

That is how I drew the shop and door placement, then I overlay ed the lighting plan and the the four post and 2  post lifts.  NOW I am adding in air lines and hose reel layout, then the overhead electric cord reels. next I will overlay the the electrical outlets and any shelving and tables.

I may end up putting heavy casters on the work tables so they can move "to the work"  not vice versa.

If I could only weld, I could make my own work tables. (the cost of commercial steel work tables is insane)

I could come out cheaper and more to my needs to go buy a welder and learn to weld. (but I am impatient and set a build schedule for everything and did not plan on the down time to buy a welder and then learn to weld)  My fear would be me welding a work table, then having a transmission on it and the darn welds breaking, table collapsing and falling, messing up my trans and breaking my foot too LOL...

Oh well, Guess I will have time to decide on work tables...

See you at the end of the week,,,

Let's hope the rain stays away,,, the long range forcast does not look good for Fri, Sat and Sun...

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
Cool deal on the layout... Deb did the same thing and I gave her all my equipment measurements which she remade as small pics that she can slide around and position anywhere she wants to tell me if it will work when I rearrange or add something.

I use pvc (600psi rating) for airline and have over 500' in my small shop allowing me to plug in anywhere for very little expense at all(and it's so easy to run and manuver around), including a couple overheads (I have one overhead electrical reel but could sure use some more).

You'd be fine with a small mig to make your work tables imo, no doubt in my mind you'd be happy and fialry proficient for things like that by the time you're done. But even if you don't want to... simply bolting together your own and having a welder stop over and lay some beads might save you some $ as well.

By the way.. the only "R" word we like to use this late in the game is "Race".. Ok?!  :wink:
Todd
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:48:44 AM by narider »

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2008, 10:54:27 AM »
Opps. Todd you are right...

The Forecast is  "R"  Race On !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the siding will be an Ivory DutchLap to match the  existing siding on the other shop since they are only 20 feet apart everything has to match (Block, Brick, Siding, Roofing, Gutters, everything)

My Brother has agreed to send one of his crews up to Diamond Polish the floor and color it if I want as well. (he does the floors for Lowes and WalMart Auto Centers..)

The Diamond Polish makes the floors stain proof and reduces dust, the color dye is more for looks...

Charles

OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2008, 10:58:21 AM »
Todd,

Air Line ?  What size/type of PVC did you use to plumb the air in your shop ?

Did you glue or tape the couplings ?  Can it handle 175 PSI ?

(I was told to use Iron Pipe or that fancy blue pipe with quick couplers (seen on hotrod TV and horsepower  TV)  but whew  very very expensive)

Need save $  as Have to get a new 80 gal Compressor for new shop..

Looking at Ingersol Rand,  Quincy or Bel Aire  compressors,, any suggestions ?

Thanks

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2008, 11:20:19 AM »
..........If I could only weld, I could make my own work tables. (the cost of commercial steel work tables is insane)

I could come out cheaper and more to my needs to go buy a welder and learn to weld. (but I am impatient and set a build schedule for everything and did not plan on the down time to buy a welder and then learn to weld)  My fear would be me welding a work table, then having a transmission on it and the darn welds breaking, table collapsing and falling, messing up my trans and breaking my foot too LOL..........

You can weld, you just don't know it.  The tables would be a good place to start and they won't fall down.  Get a 220 Miller mig about 180 amp and have someone spend an hour with you and it and you will be welding plenty good to make the tables and that will give you confidence for the future.

Just don't be afraid to use some heat and maybe start with the settings a little hotter than what is on the panel on the inside of the welder cabinet.  If your weld is hot and red on the other side of the metal and off to the sides of the weld when you stop the weld then you are getting close and fine for those tables.

One thing on the wiring that I recommend to everyone is to put lots of outlets on ..........

..........each side of any doors and windows.  I mean at least 2 doubles on each side and even 3 doubles.  The ones along the walls get buried behind shelving and junk and you just can't get to them later.  Usually right next to the doors doesn't get covered up as much.  Put some high ones where your benches will be and I put a couple low ones there and then put..........

................... lots of outlets on the front of the benches for drilling, soldering, etc..  Those outlets are then plugged into the wall if the bench moves or are hard wired into the wall if it doesn't.  In the picture the left outlet is 220 so I can move the welder right up to the work bench.  The middle arrow points to a normal double outlet and you can see that I should of put more of those in as I put a strip outlet next to that one to plug the drill chargers into.  I would feel better safety/fire wise to not be using the strip and will try and replace it in time.

Lots of 220 outlets so you can move your welder, plasma cutter anywhere in the shop and not have long 220 extension cords.  Also if you don't have a mill and/or lathe plane for a location for those and put some 220 outlets there for them.  I couldn't live without a.........

.......... lathe and a ..........

.................... mill anymore.  Something else you can learn to use that is not all that hard.

Is there a reason you aren't putting in at least one high garage door??  Just Curious as I'm glad I have one high one going to the lift in my shop.  It still wouldn't be that hard to cut one in.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:26:16 AM by Sumner »