Author Topic: Bike Racers, Gearing Question Help??  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
Bike Racers, Gearing Question Help??
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »
Hey guys, need some gearing advice from some of you experienced LSR racers. I have an 07 GSXR1000, full system, BMC filter, PCIII, good solid dyno tune. Should I gear for max power rpm (12,500) or max rpm (13,500)? I was originally thinking to look at max rpm but now I'm thinking I may be heading down the wrong path. The gearing commander site says I would be at 183 with the stock 17 c.s. & 193 with a +1 (18) c.s. at max power (12,500). Which way would you guys go?? I'm hoping to show up at Maxton with a minimum of messing with my bike. Thanks for any feedback as being a newb there's a ton of stuff to figure out. Narider's been a big help getting me up to speed, thanks Todd, I will try to convince Deb that you DO know it all!. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:05:26 PM by Oldfart »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bike Racers, Gearing Question Help??
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
My vote:  Put on the bigger front sprocket and make a six-gear pass, then make a pass and don't shift to sixth.  That'll show you if you've geared too high. 

This week at World of Speed I kept the bike in fifth for the first full measured mile - and never quite got into the rev limiter, running about 180.  So I shifted to sixth at the three mile marker and picked up all of 3 mph in the next mile.

If you gear with the bigger front sprocket and don't shift to high gear you'll have a better way to figure out if you're geared right or not.

Further deponent sayeth not.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:22:13 PM »
Thank you Slim, are you going to Maxton next week?

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:37:44 PM »
slim--if my bike wont turn on the shift light in high gear its geared to high and if i gear it a little lower it will run faster--sounds like your bike could use a lower gear --just some thoughts  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 03:50:43 AM »
Maxton is only a mile ... I have had the best results gearing for max power ... with only a mile you will not be able to pull the R-s ...
Joe

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:44:04 AM »
No, we won't be at Maxton next weekend -- we're staying here to cover the Top 1 Oil shootout.  And Willie, we know the bike mike benefit from some different gear, but we're not really trying to do much but have some fun runs down the course.  I don't think we've got a one-tooth BIGGER rear sprocket anyway, so changing isn't an option.  But my experiment - staying in fifth -- showed me that you're right, I could get away with a tad shorter gear.

Everyone else -- have fun at Maxton.  We do intend to be there for the Halloween event.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:55:25 AM »
At SW we ran 17-42 on the busa the first four runs(first three licensing runs) on the 4th run,WFO, I slammed the rev limiter, 11300, at about 1 3/4 mi. We changed the front to 18 and picked up 5 mph, revs at about 10500. we probably could have picked up a couple more mph with a 43 on the back but alas didnt have one. :cry:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Oldfart

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll go with the 18 front.  :cheers: