Author Topic: 248 MPH STUDEBAKER FOR SALE  (Read 37700 times)

Offline GH

Re: 240 MPH STUDEBAKER FOR SALE
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
I brought the Studebaker home from the Library Sunday. Yesterday I removed the turbos from the car, today I will box them up and send them off the be modified.

Offline GH

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
I just received the turbos back from Tims Turbos in Falls Church Virginia. He clipped the wheels on the exhaust side and installed new compressor wheels and housings and did a total rebuild. Here is some photos.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »
Gary it looks great and I'm sure it is going to go fast.  I see a red hat  :-).  Now about taking it easy the first run down the salt.......................... :evil:.

I still remember the ride around the country side there in the Stude very well.  Good memories,

Sum

Offline GH

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Sumner, you know how my race mentality is, pedal to the metal.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 12:07:40 PM »
So why are the air inlets/cleaners under the hood now instead of out front like before?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline GH

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:36 AM »
Micheal, you got a good eye! We thought that we were getting to much turbulence around the air filters. We can run it on the chassis dyno first without the frontend then we can run it with the frontend on and use a large fan to blow into the grill opening and compare the results. The intercooler does a good job, last August we went from 60 some degrees to about 105 degrees on the IAT. We shall see..

Offline GH

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »
Here is the latest video of the dyno tuning runs using the modified turbos. youtube.com/watch?v=pDgOyDFFMEM  youtube.com/watch?v=pDgOyDFFMEM
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:11:18 AM by GH »

Online SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »
Looks great--Will be intresting to see if the heat vs turbulence pays off---God you just HAVE to love our magnificent obsessions!!!!!!!  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »
Sparky, the intercooler does such a great job of cooling the intake charge. I think it will have to work just a little harder now. Last August our incoming air temps went from 60 to 105 degrees running 5 miles. We shall see. I have since added some heat shields between the exhaust headers and the air filters.

Offline wolcottjl

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 04:35:46 PM »
Everyone is looking at the nice new turbos - I love the valve lash settings and the oil qty on the inside fender well, oh and the do not lean on this brace.  True hot-rod!   :-D
Joel Wolcott
Moving to 2 wheels in 2010

Offline GH

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »
If more time than 2 days go by, I can't remember anything, address, phone number, name, valve lash, plug gap and everything else.

Offline jackson

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 11:19:19 AM »
Don't feel bad Gary, I'm 37 and I still put a huge piece of masking tape on the starter button with a note to remind me that I backed the loaded rocker arms off for storage over over the winter.  I'm not sure if this helps valve springs or not, but I figure it won't harm anything of I remember to set the lash before starting.  I hope its worth it since it takes me an hour and a half to set the lash!

Offline GH

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »
The Studebaker is still for sale. Looking for someone who wants to go fast and straight, I need the cash to build my next project.

Offline GH

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:49 PM »
This car is still for sale, would honor the Clunkers for Cash deal without taking the clunker.

Offline GH

Re: 248 MPH STUDEBAKER FOR SALE
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »
Check out the December issue of Hot Rod magazine for a photo of car #787. John at Limit Engineering is rebuilding the turbochargers as we speak.