Author Topic: Firewall Sealing  (Read 17065 times)

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
Firewall Sealing
« on: September 18, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help finding the required items to seal up my firewall. Mostly for the steering column and wiring. I read on older post that a few of you were able to find items in the Speedway and McMaster-Carr catalogs. I guess I'm an idiot because I can't seem to find what I think I'm looking for to properly seal up my fire wall. If any of you can lend some assistance like what you used, where you got it and even a few photos to assist. It would be very helpful.
Thanks.
-A

Offline roygoodwin

Re: Firewall Sealing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:04 PM »
Not Speedway or McMaster-Carr -- but you might take a look at these http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/eyeballfw.php

roy

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:42:33 PM »
A  what i do is go to home depot and get silicon calk and a calk gun- (i like the silver ) tape up the engine side of the firewall --silicone up the inside --let it dry overnite--pull off the tape --if you did it right it should be sealed and look nice --works good for holes ----seams---and wheel well tubs too   ---i like the G E silicone II-------willie buchta
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:48:21 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
You might try fireproof putty. Just like play-doh.

http://www.nettechdi.com/firestop/mc_firestop_putty_pads.htm

This is just an example from the first site I saw when I did a search.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:59:51 PM »
Fire wall putty is a product of 3-M
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
I got mine at Home Depot.  Then I found out ACE Hardware also has it.     Doug
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline angryyouth

• "Not so much the youth part but definately still Angry"
  • New folks
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 03:42:04 PM »
Thanks for the help. The firewall caulk is a good idea and I'll look into it. I did finally find what I was looking for in the speedway catalog:
 www.speedwaymotors.com/pl/178,2044_Firewall-Mount-Flanged-Bearing-Sleeves.html
As well as I found some cool self sealing firewall grommets at Jerry Bickle race cars that are fireproof.
Thanks for the help.
-A

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »
As an inspector I've seen some creative things. There are many "off the shelf" items that can be used. If you are able to use a single cable or groups of cables for all the wiring from the driver compartment to the engine that is the best. I like to use a terminal block on the inside of the driver compartment and a single cable for the 12 volt feed to the block, el water pp, el fuel pp, tach, ignition and str solenoid, etc. I run it thru an electrical strain relief (many sizes depending on the cable diameter)  The rubber seals around the cable and depending on how often you remove your engine it's easy to put back the wires. Most cables have different colored wire so it is easy. Being an electrician I also draw a print of both sides of the teminal block and where they go.

The real intent of a seal is to stop air from going from one place to the other. I have inspected cars that used CV boots around ther steering columns on the inside. The built a ring plate for the firewall side and since the replacement boot is split was able to seal it to the column with a hose clamp and all the little screws and nuts with the boot. Air can't flow so the fire will find another way out. I would still put a fire proof sealant where the boot meets the firewall.

If you've ever seen the seal of a floor pedal of  50's Chev pickup you can guess what I did for my clutch rod.    Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline uniquefirestopper

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:55:55 AM »
PLEASE DO NOT USE SILICONE SEAL OR GREAT STUFF INSULATION to seal your firewall.  It is flammable and VERY TOXIC when burning.

Visit www.uniquefirestop.com for solutions to sealing the automotive firewall.  Hoover over the PRODUCTS button and drop down to "automotive offerings".  This is a totally new concept - a firewall that WORKS.

Mike Sr.
Hobby Stock Racer...

Unique Fire Stop Products, Inc.
(251) 960-5018
shop@uniquefirestop.com

Offline akk

• owner of #920/928 Contrivance Special
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
Aircraft Spruce at the same link above sells aircraft "FIREWALL 2000 CAULK" part #05-00949 shown on page 123.....this stuff is amazing! I used some to seal a hole in the floor plate of my car ..later when making a modification I discovered that my oxy-acetylene torch would not cut, melt or bother the stuff! I had to scrape it off to finish my cut.
holder of AA/GMR A/GMR B/GMR C/GMR D/GMR E/GMR records

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 06:05:35 PM »
please double check all your old firewall sealings guys..... it can get old and brittle.... we had a pretty bad time last year and we don't need to get any one hurt this year....
Kent

Offline RICK

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
To understand the intent,,,,where the fire is most likely to be is the engine compartment. At speed its a high pressure zone, you are in the passenger compartment, low pressure. Trouble travels from high to low pressure,,,so be sure to completely block is route. Anything,,,fuel,oil, coolant{which will be hot}, is gonna try to get in the drivers seat with ya. But if its turned to fire,,,,,going from high to low is kinda like a cutting torch. Its gonna come in and make the hole, and the fire bigger as it does.
  Electricians use "FIRE CAULK", to create a fire stop where the wires go from floor to floor, But its sometimes hard to find locally. For small gaps I've used muffler sealing compound that comes in a toothpaste sized tube, and can be found at any parts store. Seal it good.Fire is BAD.

Good Luck, RICK
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
that fire caulk stuff gets hard and falls out.... silicone is only good to 500deg.... check things and check em twice...
kent