Author Topic: 500cc pushrod bike project  (Read 56441 times)

Offline JimL

Re: 500cc pushrod bike project
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2009, 02:22:42 AM »
Here's the sprocket retainer, chain guard welded in, chain installed.  Seal is in place and everything spins freely.

A lot of chain on this thing...not as much as some folks, of course, but more than I've ever messed with.

Regards, JimL

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »
Excellent Jim she is looking good, I see you have a sheet over her now dont want people taking sneeky peeks !!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
how's the wheel spin jim?
kent

Offline JimL

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »
Hi Kent, the wheel spins free and easy, just like a normal small displacement street bike.  The covers are because we have lots of projects in the shop, and a lot of grinding and welding going on.  We sometimes have to shuffle each others projects around to work on our own. 

I use painters drop cloths to make the pic easier to see, and they are nice because they burn slow if you start a fire (assuming you never used them for painting).  I have them across my shelves, and across the front of my work bench to keep hot, nasty things from getting back into my equipment (just screwed on with sheet metal screws).  Really cheap and it makes my work-space safer...grinding or welding sparks don't light them up, just a little smolder spot.  If you get one lit, you can put it out with water or beer (coffee leaves a stain, however).

Regards, JimL

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 10:28:53 PM »
 :x :x :x Don't use beer to put out fires!!!!!!!!!!!  That's alcohol abuse!      :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
Here here save the Beer!! :-D It aint nice with grinding dust in it assuming you do wring out the dust sheets!
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline JimL

« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 12:59:20 AM »
Tachometer mounted (on rubber mini-mounts), upper radiator hose fitted, handlebars coming along, brake working, coils mounted, rear fairing mount fabricated.  I build rear fairing mounts from solid rod, never tubing.   Years ago at Aspen, we learned what the broken end of a small diameter tube can do to a leg (almost cost a friends life).  I've used small diameter "soft iron" rod ever since, on anything near my body that might take a hit.  Besides, if you drop the bike, it's easy to straighten out "goot enuff".

It looks like I'll have room to run my favorite 14" tuned intake length, including some short velocity stacks.  Still an awful lot of work to do.

Regards, JimL

Offline JimL

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:56 AM »
OK....fairing mounts in place, clutch working, rear brake working, shifter working, foot pegs mounted, exhaust hung (had to rework my workstand), picking up the VM36 Mikunis tomorrow (gave up on the original CV carbs....too small and too old).  As soon as the igniters are hung, I'll yank the engine, tear down, and get cracking on camshaft, compression, valve lightening, and head porting.

Still have to build the dual battery box, belly pan, seat, tail, etc.  Also a fuel tank, steering damper, kill switch/lanyard (I'll use the same "fuse popper" system that worked well on my CB450).

Having some fun, now.... sure hope it'll start when the time comes!

JimL

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2009, 12:07:56 PM »
Jim,
Really love the exhaust!! Can't wait to hear it!

Ever notice that as you seem to be getting closer to being done the list of "details" just keeps getting longer!
Neat build, can't wait to see and hear it on the salt.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
Looking good,Makes me wonder why Honda didnt do it that way around!

Offline JimL

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2009, 02:23:15 AM »
Carbs mounted, tonight, and Rex is definitely right about the little stuff getting difficult.  I had to cut a pair of Mikuni mounts to insert into one GL500 mount and one CX650 mount.  That got the carbs in the right area, right angle, and close enough length to use a velocity stack to "get right".

Then....trying to get the slides to close, and also open all the way, using a modified Yamaha Banshee throttle cable.  I finally shortened the lower cable housings (see pic below which shows how much I cut off), then hand-filed the stops at both ends of the throttle drum.  It now has full closing, and full opening.... it was really close to get full range.

Meanwhile, the to-do list gets longer as I see how much is NOT done!

Regards, JimL

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
Jim,
Are you planning to run the velocity stacks thru the fairing into the air stream or are you going to have an external scoop and a air box?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline JimL

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2009, 12:37:35 AM »
They'll fit inside the fairning....it's set up fairly wide, I guess you'd say, to keep my "elder" body out of the breeze.  The trick will be finding some that will fit!

Regards, JimL

Offline Tom Simon

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »
For a wide range of velocity stacks try TMW

http://www.twminduction.com/AirHorn/AirHorn-FR.html

Offline JimL

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
Thanks, Tom...I'll make a pattern of inlet positions and swing by there on one of my runs (It'll require some angles or siamese to fit).

Regards, JimL