Author Topic: 500cc pushrod bike project  (Read 56528 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: 500cc pushrod bike project
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »
its ok with me! i like old girls wiggling under me!  :-o
Kent

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 11:51:03 AM »
its ok with me! i like old girls wiggling under me!  :-o
Kent

Oh shoot...there's a picture I didn't want in my head :-P :-P
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 02:04:46 PM »
Do you reckon the no flywheel set up out weighs the drag of the umbrella?
I like the look of the 450 from what I can see.
I thought of ditching the alternator on the CBR but the solenoids and ancilliarys wont allow it there is just too much draw I reckon the alternator and battery will only just cope.
Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »
Hi Jim you got your bits back from machining yet.....Have you got some more pics and some of the 450 apparently they have started road racing them again in Ireland in there own class or so i have been told I know they were pretty bulletproof but I would have thought they were few and far between now.

Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Freud

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 04:02:18 PM »
Jim, let's put Gordon Jennings back at CYCLE Magazine where I met him. His last issue as editor was December 1969.

He continued to soldier on for a long time after Cook Neilson took over.

He was at the CYCLE MAGAZINE reunion, April 2007, in spirit and scripture.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline JimL

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 11:54:55 PM »
Hi fellas.... I'll take some pics of the parts and fit-up tomorrow.  Thanks for the interest in the old bike, oz.  Here's a pic below.

Also, on the last page of my little website is a short video of the bike leaving the line on my 62nd birthday, in 2007.  You'll also see the bike when I made it "street legal" for a bit (really a miserable ride with Bonneville gearing).

http://home.earthlink.net/~leinfam/id4.html

If this doesn't work, take off the id4.html and try it....some browsers don't like the whole coding.

regards, JimL

Offline JimL

brainfade...
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 11:57:59 PM »
Meant to say...my 61st birthday....oh, what the heck....it doesn't matter a year or so off, right? :-P

Offline Freud

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »
Jim...that is a clean shot. Congratulations.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:20 AM »
Excelent the gearing on the 450 is long aint it you are out of sight in second gear.Cool!
Got your fingers in all sorts of pies judging by your site you must be a real busy guy.
We Dropped in at Moab on the way back from Speedweek in 07 and man that was Hoy Hot Hot dont envy you riding off road in that!

Offline JimL

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 11:16:01 PM »
A little more progress.  Pictured is the extension shaft, which mounts on the original countershaft, and is carried in an outboard pillow block.  The pillow block base will bolt to a "cage" that mounts to the main crankcases and original motor mount pickup points.  The idea is to keep location of the shaft "dead true" regardless of engine fit-up (such as removing for tech inspection...just in case it ever gets fast enough).  The extension shaft coupler uses part of the original shock damper, and is pilot bored to fit over the original output shaft nipple.

The extension shaft has a 48mm outer, on the coupler, to allow for a crankcase seal.  The seal will be carried in a bolt-on cup, to allow centering on the shaft before locking down the seal.  It's also important to have the seal floating free while alignment of the shaft is confirmed.  This is the same method used to put front main seals on old Land Cruisers (install pulley with timing cover bolts loose, then bolt down cover).

I also included a shot of the reworked left side of the frame, to allow for the new chain-run orientation.  I have enough clearance to carry a 17T countershaft sprocket (the biggest available for CB500T).

Regards, JimL

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
Is that a spherical bearing that you are using if so will that be ok its going to be spinning mighty fast?

Offline JimL

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 12:58:23 AM »
The bearing is rated for continuous 5000 RPM at max load (forgot the number, but pretty strong).  My max output shaft RPM (on the rev limiter) is about 4500 or so, in 5th gear.  Should work for 30-60 seconds if I keep it lubed, and the bearing is only taking half the load (pressure fed bearing in the main case takes about half). 

More a question of how long this old man can hold his breath, trying to stay tucked in (before I got rounder, I folded better).  ...which always remainds me of the Saturday morning in the cul-de-sac years ago....all the neighbors tended to gather in the street to chat. 

My friends wife was poking fun at his growing beer belly, when the neighbor gentleman (from Jordan) broke in...."Ah, Jeanne," he said," in my countree we haf a saying, 'It ees a verry poor mon, indeed, who cannot afford to beeld a shed for hees donkey'." :cheers:

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
Could you use a drip feed like a scott oiler but just a small thimble sized one with a breather and a couple of squirts of oil in it into the grease nipple

And we also have a saying or two like that

i aint getting old and fat i am developing muscles that enable me to sit for long periods of doing nothing.

Its not a beer belly its a fuel tank for a sex machine.

Myself I aint kidding anyone I am just getting Fat!!

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
Cmon Jim more details please hows it going?

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2009, 12:54:31 PM »
Ewes not getting fat!  Ewes just getting fluffy!  :cheers:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!