Author Topic: Turbo plenum  (Read 106029 times)

Offline bharmon77

Re: Turbo plenum
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:07 AM »
Almost forgot I am using a very good on line service manual that is for 1999-2003 Hayabusa's; www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/SUZUKI/GSX1300R_Hayabusa_Service_Manual_1999-3003.pdf. After reading page7-20 of this manual I see that the computer gets engine RPM from the crankshaft position sensor. Learn something new every day!

Bruce Harmon

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #211 on: December 01, 2008, 10:27:06 AM »
BH, The 2003 and later are the 32 bit I think.  The last motor I bought was a 2003 and it took me a day of troubleshooting to figure out why it would start, run a little, sputter and stop.  The crank sensor is on the outside of the Alternator rotor. there are a lot more divots in the 32 bit rotor, we use the 16 bit ECU  :-o  The TRE Kent mentioned is a resistor that tells the ECU the gear position indicator is in 5th all the time.  The lower gears have different timing curves and the top speed limiter is not in play in 5th.

Yes, we have gear position locked, found we had better acceleration in the lower gears with a TRE (the old fashioned way, we ran both ways).  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #212 on: December 01, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »
You will want to run some sort of TRE to de-limit the motor.

The motor is limited to 180 mph (2001-2008) [99 and 00 were not limited] electronically.

Another way to de-limit the motor and the method I use is to use a modified GPS, then the motor sees all of its stock timing and fuel curves and only sees 6th gear as 5th but as I own both (TRE on bike and GPS on car) I cant really tell much difference between them as far as how the thing drives.
The one advantage to a modded GPS is you can mount a gear position indicator to it and see what gear you are in. This has been a big help for us because the tranny ratios are so close that it is hard to tell what gear you are in and can easily keep try to shift into 7th.

This is the modded GPS and gear position indicator I used.
http://boostbysmith.com/pb/wp_0ec87766/wp_0ec87766.html?0.7051036358049676

Cost for indicator AND modded GPS: 75$
Greg Smith even custom made a ours with a very long tail  (10'), plug (for quick disconnect) and a red LED for 6th (all other gears are green) for no extra.

The modded GPS will also allow for future use of a gear based boost controller (allows for selectable boost settings in each gear, so 1st will only get 5 psi, 2nd will get 10 psi and 3rd will get 15 or whatever amounts you adjust it too in each gear. Helpful for drivability with high boost and it can be a handful to make 500 HP in 1st gear!)

Good product.

-JH
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:34:22 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #213 on: December 01, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
The 05 is a 32 bit ecu. You can also reflash the ecu to get rid of the speed limiter and raise the rev limit and if you want to you can do all your tuning witn the ecu.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2008, 01:46:17 PM »
You will want to run some sort of TRE to de-limit the motor.

The motor is limited to 180 mph (2001-2008) [99 and 00 were not limited] electronically.

Another way to de-limit the motor and the method I use is to use a modified GPS, then the motor sees all of its stock timing and fuel curves and only sees 6th gear as 5th but as I own both (TRE on bike and GPS on car) I cant really tell much difference between them as far as how the thing drives.
The one advantage to a modded GPS is you can mount a gear position indicator to it and see what gear you are in. This has been a big help for us because the tranny ratios are so close that it is hard to tell what gear you are in and can easily keep try to shift into 7th.  ....

-JH

JNuts, if you are pulling 10K in 6th gear, you don't need to shift, you need to re-gear  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
JNuts, if you are pulling 10K in 6th gear, you don't need to shift, you need to re-gear 

My gearing strategy was to gear the car for the peak HP to be at the speed I was "trying" to achieve.

Last years SW I had intended to use a 100 shot of No2 and geared the car to do 205 @ 10.5K in 6th....even though the motor will turn past 11 (the top geared speed was around 215). It was getting really late in getting things together before SW, so I opted to not use No2 for 07. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt a motor by half arsing No2, as I dont know much about it. But this is what I had the car geared for and never intended to get it out of 4 or 5th.....but I did anyway!

This year I will be attempting speeds in the 215-230 range. And was going to gear it to make 220 in 6th @ 10.5K (at peak HP [this graph show 239 at 10750, our motor made 242 at 10.5])

Why do you suggest not running that much RPM?

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:10:14 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2008, 07:33:30 PM »
ok well thanks for answering... your responce says it all.... the 2001 and up is SPEED limited.......
ok now that you had a chance to think about my comment......
Yes a TRE removes the ignition retard in the upper and lower gears and allows the ignition to advance to a desired curve but without an input from a speed sensor how do you think the computer is gonna react.?..... yes, you need to have an speed input for the ign...
kent

Offline maj

« Reply #217 on: December 02, 2008, 03:03:13 PM »
Doesn't need a speed input,
ign maps are load x rpm  and which of several maps is determined by gear position.and cyl number

ecu editor would let you customise these .

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2008, 05:30:54 PM »
Doesn't need a speed input,
ign maps are load x rpm  and which of several maps is determined by gear position.and cyl number

ecu editor would let you customise these .

+1

*Andres Segovia